There are 159 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ritz126:
the webzone is stupid at times

the fact there was even a conversation is this guy good when we were already allowing one of the lowest YPA and fewest points coming into this game shows how stupid fans can be

Yup, for me just listen to his media, he's a great communicator, and leader of men, you can see it how it talks to our guys
now add in, most any DC worth their salt would look great with this roster, but where we need the most help is DBs and he is a DBs expert first and foremost, so it's a great fit imo
A definite improvement over last week.

He's not some messiah though. We keep giving up random drives where they march the entire field.

Its significantly easier when your team is scoring every first drive of the game to coach with a lead.

He definitely played more man this game. I would just like to see more sacks.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

He's not some messiah though. We keep giving up random drives where they march the entire field.

Its significantly easier when your team is scoring every first drive of the game to coach with a lead.

they schemed their track star return man into a one on one and Huf jogging over in support, I don't think Huf is right, ever since the news dropped about his knee, he's playing thru an issue imo
that's the 1 drive, right? Otherwise it's a bomb FG from 50 and a shutout on the rest.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

the fact there was even a conversation is this guy good when we were already allowing one of the lowest YPA and fewest points coming into this game shows how stupid fans can be

Yup, for me just listen to his media, he's a great communicator, and leader of men, you can see it how it talks to our guys
now add in, most any DC worth their salt would look great with this roster, but where we need the most help is DBs and he is a DBs expert first and foremost, so it's a great fit imo

Agree, great fit because he addresses (from his coaching background) a perennial weakness of the 49er defense, the defensive backs. I think that is also by design as ShanaLynch devotes a ton of draft capital to the defensive line.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agree, great fit because he addresses (from his coaching background) a perennial weakness of the 49er defense, the defensive backs. I think that is also by design as ShanaLynch devotes a ton of draft capital to the defensive line.

Give him time as we go forward with the young guys, Lenoir, Ambry, Brown, Huf, you name it, you will see these guys grow
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

they schemed their track star return man into a one on one and Huf jogging over in support, I don't think Huf is right, ever since the news dropped about his knee, he's playing thru an issue imo
that's the 1 drive, right? Otherwise it's a bomb FG from 50 and a shutout on the rest.

Hopefully Jaier can help with depth if Huff has knee issues.
I think he called a decent game yesterday and his half time adjustments have been solid. I'm not sure why we're not getting there sack numbers with our front four, the pressure rate from Bosa and Hargrave is there but the other linemen need to win their 1 on 1s.

Hopefully Jaier can help with depth if Huff has knee issues.

that's what I am thinking, that's our top draft pick and from all I hear they rave about him as a person, right attitude, just needs some seasoning before we just toss him out there

Huf jogged? Dude has been playing fast all year, I don't care who it was no was was catching up to Turpin one of the fastest guys in the league. The only play Dallas found and hit on a mismatch. Some people get way to worked up over injuries, Huf had a cyst he's not coming off a serious knee injury now
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mitpdub:
I think he called a decent game yesterday and his half time adjustments have been solid. I'm not sure why we're not getting there sack numbers with our front four, the pressure rate from Bosa and Hargrave is there but the other linemen need to win their 1 on 1s.

Between a sack and a turnover, I'll 💯% always take the turnovers.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Huf jogged? Dude has been playing fast all year, I don't care who it was no was was catching up to Turpin one of the fastest guys in the league. The only play Dallas found and hit on a mismatch. Some people get way to worked up over injuries, Huf had a cyst he's not coming off a serious knee injury now

My understanding is that the cyst can be related to his previous knee issues.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I may not be giving him credit, but that's what my eye test from the broadcast, granted on the broadcast you only see him for a second, he's barely even in the picture. You can see on the LOS, we were up on Turpin, and that's an L if Turpin decides to floor it deep, unless Huf gets depth over the top. I'll rewatch on an all-22 see if I view it any different.

Look I love Huf going back to before his breakout year, however I am seeing some non Huf boxscores, dude had 1 tackle vs DAL, 1 tackle vs NYG, that's not Huf 2022 boxscore stuff, I may be paranoid from the news of his cyst, but I suspect it's impacting him
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Give him time as we go forward with the young guys, Lenoir, Ambry, Brown, Huf, you name it, you will see these guys grow

I hope so. Wilks being a DB coach as well as DC, I think has made ShanaLynch change their drafting priorities. Jaier was their top pick this year. A defensive back. Will a defensive back be next years top pick, considering if Randy Gregory pans out? I don't know but if somehow Wilks can shore up the Defensive back squad (one way or another), this defense will be topnotch for a long time.
The Cb's weren't playing 100 yards off. Much more physical and aggressive
Originally posted by lamontb:
The Cb's weren't playing 100 yards off. Much more physical and aggressive

This. There was only one play I recall that had a guy soft who gained a completion during the proper down and distance.

We saw what happened on the fumble when you actually play press in obvious quick pass or run situations.
Share 49ersWebzone