There are 201 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ninerFate:

My feelings as well
I am not trusting Steve Wilks defensive philosophy. I think this was a bad hire for the personnel. It seems as if he's calling the game like the strength of the defense is the secondary. No creativity at all up front. T-E stunt is about as creative he's gotten, which only got home once from what I saw.

If we win the SB it's will be in spite of Wilks defensive scheme. He is seriously wasting the talent on this defense. I don't trust his scheme or philosophy can carry this team when it needs. I hate to say this but, with the talent of this defense and the SB expectations, Wilks just may be in over his head. When games get close like it was today, and defensive creativity is needed from him scheme-wise, I have no faith that he'll be able to rise to the occasion.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Oct 15, 2023 at 2:52 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I am not trusting Steve Wilks defensive philosophy. I think this was a bad hire for the personnel. It seems as if he's calling the game like the strength of the defense is the secondary. No creativity at all up front. T-E stunt is about as creative he's gotten, which only got home once from what I saw.

If we win the SB it's will be in spite of Wilks defensive scheme. He is seriously wasting the talent on this defense.

Yeah cle had so many different looks up front it became a masterclass.

Bingo on the talent as well.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Not a lot of sacks but leading the league in INT. Either way, splash play.
Originally posted by thl408:

True but sacks and int's are apples and oranges. I enjoy both though. It always seems like the team that leads the year in int's one year ends up being near the bottom the following years. Team needs to ramp up the sacks and tfl's. Bosa constantly stayed int eh back field making run stops but not so much this year. They need to create more negative plays forcing teams to have to run deeper routes which could give guys time to get home. As far as the ints go Fred and Gipson have been everywhere. I really don't know how Brown beats out Gipson

Run D no so good. Pretty big drop off from last year.
this grinds my gears, here and in the GD thread, which is gameday thread

allow me to check the ranks

ppg allowed - 1st (seems good)
yds allowed - 3rd (not bad)
we apparently lead the NFL in INTs (leading in the good way)

okay now you can resume your complaining, I just don't get why this thread is the complaint department, if someone can perhaps enlighten
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
this grinds my gears, here and in the GD thread, which is gameday thread

allow me to check the ranks

ppg allowed - 1st (seems good)
yds allowed - 3rd (not bad)
we apparently lead the NFL in INTs (leading in the good way)

okay now you can resume your complaining, I just don't get why this thread is the complaint department, if someone can perhaps enlighten

I think 85 Bears level dominance was expected.

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

We have seen some of his big nickel stuff..hybrid CB/LB, we have seen safety blitzs, we have seen 5 man lines...he has done some things....just not much of it in the last 2 games...maybe 3.

I think.....it is very easy to say....we got off the field because XYZ player made some spectacular play, and when the secondary fails, or the pass rush fails in a way we have not seen regularly in the last few season it is natural to say what the hell are they doing....

It is hard to give Wilks credit when someone just...I dunno...forgets to block Bosa...or when Warner says enough of the BS and just makes a play on his own. On the flip side, when the defense just can't seem to build momentum.... it is easy to point toward the system.

For the last few seasons, how many times have we seen a team throw the ball for 6 yards on a 3rd and 11? It was like clock work...it happened so many times. 3rd and long was the death kiss against the 49ers. Just does not feel that way any more.

It really makes me wonder if the team is just missing that Rah-Rah personality on the sideline. Coaches personify their teams. It is so very true at the HS and College level.....and maybe we are seeing it is true at the NFL level too. It is easy for us as fans to label a team as "flat" when we feel they are just going through the motions. Anyone think that is what our pass rush feels like on far to many downs?
Originally posted by Dshearn:
It really makes me wonder if the team is just missing that Rah-Rah personality on the sideline. Coaches personify their teams. It is so very true at the HS and College level.....and maybe we are seeing it is true at the NFL level too. It is easy for us as fans to label a team as "flat" when we feel they are just going through the motions. Anyone think that is what our pass rush feels like on far to many downs?

That's probably my one complaint with Wilkes. You could see the defense feed off of Salah and Ryans being on the sideline going nuts after a big play. You don't see that with Wilkes because he's up in the booth (and probably not his personality anyways).

With that said, Wilkes is doing a good job. I'd like to see more sacks from the defensive line, but I'm not going to complain about the interceptions.
[ Edited by linkboy on Oct 22, 2023 at 6:52 AM ]
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Dshearn:

That's probably my one complaint with Wilkes. You could see the defense feed of of Salah and Ryans being on the sideline going nuts after a big play. You don't see that with Wilkes because he's up in the booth (and probably not his personality anyways).

With that said, Wilkes is doing a good job. I'd like to see more sacks from the defensive line, but I'm not going to complain about the interceptions.

Would agree that the team seems flat at times with no coach on the sideline going crazy for them when they make a play. Maybe it will change a bit as the season goes, but they seem to need a spark at certain times & it is just not there.
Originally posted by lamontb:

True but sacks and int's are apples and oranges. I enjoy both though. It always seems like the team that leads the year in int's one year ends up being near the bottom the following years. Team needs to ramp up the sacks and tfl's. Bosa constantly stayed int eh back field making run stops but not so much this year. They need to create more negative plays forcing teams to have to run deeper routes which could give guys time to get home. As far as the ints go Fred and Gipson have been everywhere. I really don't know how Brown beats out Gipson

Yah'll think that the 84 Miami Offense, or the Bills K-Gun will be remembered MORE compare to the teams that raise the Lambordi Offense??

while numbers and rankings are fine and dandy, the only one that counts should be THE 6TH !!
Originally posted by linkboy:
That's probably my one complaint with Wilkes. You could see the defense feed off of Salah and Ryans being on the sideline going nuts after a big play. You don't see that with Wilkes because he's up in the booth (and probably not his personality anyways).

When I just look at him, makes me wanna zZzz. Miss Ryans
Share 49ersWebzone