There are 372 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • fip24
  • Veteran
I agree that Wilks has not been good, and the blitz before half was one of the worst calls I've seen in years. With that said, the players deserve some of the blame here. How does Cousins drop back 50 times, majority in obvious passing situations, and they do not get a sack. I'm not even sure they had a QB hit.
Right now, the Eagle d line is head and shoulders better than the Niners.
[ Edited by fip24 on Oct 23, 2023 at 8:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Patton:
Who do we replace this scrub with?

Anybody else on the staff
The D-line became garbage with this guy.
Originally posted by fip24:
I agree that Wilks has not been good, and the blitz before half was one of the worst calls I've seen in years. With that said, the players deserve some of the blame here. How does Cousins drop back 50 times, majority in obvious passing situations, and they do not get a sack. I'm not even sure they had a QB hit.
Right now, the Eagle d line is head and shoulders better than the Niners.

Completely awful.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
The worst thing about Wilks is that his arrival signaled the end of our high-flying, energized defense. They look flat week after week—because Wilks sits in the booth and shows no energy himself. He's like a tired old man.

Might be something to this. We're just off. Saleh made a comment the other week about making QBs look bad. We are missing that. This defense was bloodthirsty 2019 - 2022.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We gave up 452 yards.

Originally posted by Sickaa:
Hiring this guy to be the defensive coordinator could possibly be one of the worst decisions Kyle has made throughout his career as an head coach thus far.

HIring young, open minded, high energy assistants was working for him and I don't know why he went the other way this time. And it's not like hiring Wilks was hiring a Wade Phillips type veteran DC with a long history of success. Wilks had one good year and his defenses looked meh at best the rest of the time.
No wonder he's not with the panthers anymore
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Hiring this guy to be the defensive coordinator could possibly be one of the worst decisions Kyle has made throughout his career as an head coach thus far.

HIring young, open minded, high energy assistants was working for him and I don't know why he went the other way this time. And it's not like hiring Wilks was hiring a Wade Phillips type veteran DC with a long history of success. Wilks had one good year and his defenses looked meh at best the rest of the time.

If this keeps up, he needs to go. He looks like he's changed a bunch and our guys look confused and chaotic half the time. It's disgusting how much they've regressed.
Originally posted by Rocket4989:

We are the Panthers West now.

AA is looking washed. He's not doing anything in the run or pass rush game. Bosa looks like an average guy. Hargrave is playing well. And we aren't getting anything out of our other DE spot. Nothing. And our backs ups suck. They keep rotating in s**tty players. Eagles are subbing in Jalen Carter and Fletcher Cox. We are subbing in Givens and Kinlaw. The secondary was an issue before the season. Lenior plays off dam near every play. And Ward was just roasted by a rookie. None of that's on Wilks

Now these super vanilla schemes is on Wilks. Where are the twists and stunts? Just vanilla 4 man rush. The slot CB blitz hasn't worked. No creativity with the blitzes. Then blitzing with off coverage was terrible. Kirk was just lofting the ball up to a spot. The blitz at the end of the half was a horrendous call. Not being aware of the screens coming after blitzing so much.
Originally posted by Rocket4989:

No wonder they didn't give him the HC gig.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
22 Pts, 7 pts from a stupid play from Ward so really 15 pts. Gave the Offense two chances to win as well. Wilks definitely has his problems, but at the same time gave Purdy two chances to win the game.

Now while I agree the last pick by Purdy was bad. The pick before Juan got rerouted and threw to a spot and he was late getting there. On the ward play I could care less that ward got the ball ripped way, wtf is wilks doing calling zero blitz in that situation. On their own 40, like 14ish seconds left, what are you gaining by calling zero blitz in that situation?!?!

I blame both of them being bad. Wilks calling that play and Ward not picking it off and not just tackling him if he's not gonna get the pick.

Fair enough, we gain nothing by him picking it off where he would have. I just hate the call by wilks in that situation, just a lot of issues from db's getting beat consistently to an overpaid defensive line that can't get home in pass rush situations
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If this keeps up, he needs to go. He looks like he's changed a bunch and our guys look confused and chaotic half the time. It's disgusting how much they've regressed.

Its exactly what his defenses looked like in Arizona. Guys out of position, complete inability to stop the run, players complained about too many moving parts and could not get stops to save their lives once an offense got rolling.

Al Holcomb was the DC so he got most of the blame then but I'm seeing the same issues here.
Wilks is really the only significant change to this defense… for them to be this bad it's all on him. He needs to go ASAP. I mean seriously we gave up almost 500 yards to the vikes without JJ!!!
[ Edited by Ajinsc on Oct 23, 2023 at 8:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone