There are 259 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
22 Pts, 7 pts from a stupid play from Ward so really 15 pts. Gave the Offense two chances to win as well. Wilks definitely has his problems, but at the same time gave Purdy two chances to win the game.

Now while I agree the last pick by Purdy was bad. The pick before Juan got rerouted and threw to a spot and he was late getting there. On the ward play I could care less that ward got the ball ripped way, wtf is wilks doing calling zero blitz in that situation. On their own 40, like 14ish seconds left, what are you gaining by calling zero blitz in that situation?!?!

I blame both of them being bad. Wilks calling that play and Ward not picking it off and not just tackling him if he's not gonna get the pick.

Fair enough, we gain nothing by him picking it off where he would have. I just hate the call by wilks in that situation, just a lot of issues from db's getting beat consistently to an overpaid defensive line that can't get home in pass rush situations

No points/momentum given to other team at the half. I think our team morale would've been a lot better going in 7-10 instead of 7-16. Overall bad by lots though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wilks is garbage.
  • JEP83
  • Veteran
Just wow.

My wife God bless her was yelling at the TV about blitzing on third and long every time. Why do we always let them get to third and long and give them soft coverage past where they need to go. Every time! Blitz when we shouldn't. Don't blitz When we should. Guys. My wife was saying this without me even saying it. She even called the backwards pass turning into double pass.

Although yes Purdy failed bad those last two drives. The bad interception directly thrown to the defense was a timing throw and Juan was knocked off the route. The last one was him trying to make a throw.

all in all the bye week can't come fast enough but as putrid the defense looked it's still only allowed 22 points. Offense couldn't score. Olive needs Trent bc they were rushing three and still getting to Brock.
Defensive backs Guru

LMFAO
I think people greatly underrated just what a stellar job both Saleh and Ryans did and how they were able to consistently put guys in the best position to be successful.
BASURA!!!!
Originally posted by fip24:
I agree that Wilks has not been good, and the blitz before half was one of the worst calls I've seen in years. With that said, the players deserve some of the blame here. How does Cousins drop back 50 times, majority in obvious passing situations, and they do not get a sack. I'm not even sure they had a QB hit.
Right now, the Eagle d line is head and shoulders better than the Niners.

Right. Wilks has issues but nothing in his scheme is preventing our lineman from beating the guy in front of you and making a play
Originally posted by lamontb:
AA is looking washed. He's not doing anything in the run or pass rush game. Bosa looks like an average guy. Hargrave is playing well. And we aren't getting anything out of our other DE spot. Nothing. And our backs ups suck. They keep rotating in s**tty players. Eagles are subbing in Jalen Carter and Fletcher Cox. We are subbing in Givens and Kinlaw. The secondary was an issue before the season. Lenior plays off dam near every play. And Ward was just roasted by a rookie. None of that's on Wilks

Now these super vanilla schemes is on Wilks. Where are the twists and stunts? Just vanilla 4 man rush. The slot CB blitz hasn't worked. No creativity with the blitzes. Then blitzing with off coverage was terrible. Kirk was just lofting the ball up to a spot. The blitz at the end of the half was a horrendous call. Not being aware of the screens coming after blitzing so much.

Its Wilks. I personally think it's making some big names check out.
22 Pts, 7 pts from a stupid play from Ward so really 15 pts. Gave the Offense two chances to win as well. Wilks definitely has his problems, but at the same time gave Purdy two chances to win the game.

Now while I agree the last pick by Purdy was bad. The pick before Juan got rerouted and threw to a spot and he was late getting there. On the ward play I could care less that ward got the ball ripped way, wtf is wilks doing calling zero blitz in that situation. On their own 40, like 14ish seconds left, what are you gaining by calling zero blitz in that situation?!?!

I blame both of them being bad. Wilks calling that play and Ward not picking it off and not just tackling him if he's not gonna get the pick.

Fair enough, we gain nothing by him picking it off where he would have. I just hate the call by wilks in that situation, just a lot of issues from db's getting beat consistently to an overpaid defensive line that can't get home in pass rush situations

No points/momentum given to other team at the half. I think our team morale would've been a lot better going in 7-10 instead of 7-16. Overall bad by lots though.

I understand that, and I agree with what you are saying, guess what I'm getting at is I would have rather seen him bat that ball down in that situation rather than get in a fight for the ball and go for the pick but shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with.
That decision to blitz before the half basically cost us the game.

Originally posted by Patton:
Who do we replace this scrub with?

Any defensive coach who stands in the sideline. Interact and get a in touch within the players and game.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think people greatly underrated just what a stellar job both Saleh and Ryans did and how they were able to consistently put guys in the best position to be successful.

This. Including Shanalynch. Thought they had enough talent that just any scrub off the street could coach this much talent. There's a reason Saleh and Ryans are having so much success on their new teams.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I miss them both

I understand that, and I agree with what you are saying, guess what I'm getting at is I would have rather seen him bat that ball down in that situation rather than get in a fight for the ball and go for the pick but shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with.

Yeah, im not disagreeing with you either lol.... but yeah he could've just batted the ball for sure or not in that situation to begin with.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by fip24:
I agree that Wilks has not been good, and the blitz before half was one of the worst calls I've seen in years. With that said, the players deserve some of the blame here. How does Cousins drop back 50 times, majority in obvious passing situations, and they do not get a sack. I'm not even sure they had a QB hit.
Right now, the Eagle d line is head and shoulders better than the Niners.

Right. Wilks has issues but nothing in his scheme is preventing our lineman from beating the guy in front of you and making a play

You sure about that? I'd have to watch the film, but not sure I saw a single stunt all night.
Share 49ersWebzone