There are 456 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think people greatly underrated just what a stellar job both Saleh and Ryans did and how they were able to consistently put guys in the best position to be successful.

I just think a team with the kinda cap we've invested in pass rush would have a DC who just rushes 4 and drops into zone coverage. Wilks is allergic to common sense.
I think people greatly underrated just what a stellar job both Saleh and Ryans did and how they were able to consistently put guys in the best position to be successful.

I don't think most did, which is why a lot of people here had high expectations since we have a better roster defensively this year.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I just think a team with the kinda cap we've invested in pass rush would have a DC who just rushes 4 and drops into zone coverage. Wilks is allergic to common sense.

We can't generate a pass rush rushing four

He tries, calls bad plays, panics and reverts to old habits. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Need to keep bringing them up the ranks. Not gonna earn that comp pick coaching like this.

He a known loser, all he knows is loser ways
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I don't think most did, which is why a lot of people here had high expectations since we have a better roster defensively this year.

I think we were top 3 coming in, and we still lead the NFL in INTs
Should've just promoted Daniel Bullocks at this point.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

We can't generate a pass rush rushing four

I disagree. Our d line has some of the highest pass rush win rates in the nfl. But when the defense is giving up short quick passes cause the DBs give a huge cushion cause we're blitzing the qb gets east quick completions
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Should've just promoted Daniel Bullocks at this point.

I 2nd
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I am not trusting Steve Wilks defensive philosophy. I think this was a bad hire for the personnel. It seems as if he's calling the game like the strength of the defense is the secondary. No creativity at all up front. T-E stunt is about as creative he's gotten, which only got home once from what I saw.

If we win the SB it's will be in spite of Wilks defensive scheme. He is seriously wasting the talent on this defense. I don't trust his scheme or philosophy can carry this team when it needs. I hate to say this but, with the talent of this defense and the SB expectations, Wilks just may be in over his head. When games get close like it was today, and defensive creativity is needed from him scheme-wise, I have no faith that he'll be able to rise to the occasion.
SuperBowl SuperBowl not happening not with Wilks running the D Kyle has wasted another year with this BAD HIRE got to Fire Him Now get that STank off the Defense before its too late. His play calling has Philly and everybody else laughing at our D what a JOKE

• jed_X
  • Veteran
This guy's the problem. We have so much talent on defense to be playing like this when the only difference from last year really is the DC. Gotta get this guy out before the defensive players starts questioning themselves and second guess every play.
[ Edited by jed_X on Oct 23, 2023 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
This. Including Shanalynch. Thought they had enough talent that just any scrub off the street could coach this much talent. There's a reason Saleh and Ryans are having so much success on their new teams.

They were both exceptional in scheming. Wilks despite his propensity for blitzing is a lot more vanilla and predictable. He's probably an average DC but he's not going to elevate talent any.
Wilks or Brandon Staley I can't decide which coach wastes defensive talent more.
I think he scrapped the cover 3 scheme. This does not look like Saleh's or Ryan's D.
Steve either come down to the sideline or pack up your bags.
Share 49ersWebzone