LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 418 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Who was the TE Kyle had with the browns back in the day? All he did was catch TDs... Latu reminds me of him. Basically Kyle will scheme him opportunities to high point the ball on 3rds and in the redzone.

Jordan Cameron who had 24 catches, 424 yards and 2 TDs
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Giedi:
This dude was a LB for the first 2 years in college? I didn't know that.

Wow!

DE/OLB
Say he continues to improve at the TE position… could be a good player for the 49ers!

Crazy! Sounds like quite the project. But he'll be learning from the best now.

You not gonna get a blue chip at pick 101. You only can hope for a raw project guy that is already good enough to beat out the current low cieling back ups already on the roster.

Kittle and Greenlaw say hi, oh Brock Purdy sends an email greeting.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Latu's got really good hands. Yeah, looking forward to double TE sets with him & Kittle. I think the TE Willis (OK) could become Juice's replacement. He's stronger than Latu and looks more the hybrid FB-type. Really surprised he lasted 'til the 7th rd.

AGree, Walter Football graded him as a 4th round talent. I've been hoping they get Juszczyk's understudy in a long time. Three tight end set offenses, here we come!

If that comes into fruition (Willis a hybrid) we'll be talking "I like this kinda party"

I think the Two Tight end, one back set is going to really help Purdy in the playoffs. It really did a number on Lawrence Taylor back in the Joe Gibb's/Bill Parcell days.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Who was the TE Kyle had with the browns back in the day? All he did was catch TDs... Latu reminds me of him. Basically Kyle will scheme him opportunities to high point the ball on 3rds and in the redzone.

Jordan Cameron who had 24 catches, 424 yards and 2 TDs

Helluva cherry pick, but definitely had less than I remember. I was thinking of his season with 7 TDs. Some f*cker in my fantasy league had him when he did his 3td performance so that always stood out.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Apr 30, 2023 at 2:18 PM ]
Looks good high pointing catches but I don't see much separation.
The guy has a knack for getting nto open spots for short to medium range passes. It's his football IQ. Kittle is used as a safety valve on many plays. If this kid can duplicate what he did in college then Kittle can be used more often as an attack weapon rather than a safety valve, which will open up Kyle's offense even more.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Will be interesting to see how he pans out, my completely uneducated eye test tells me I would want to see more separation on a "highlight reel" considering its Bama and he had a soon to be NFL qb throwing to him.

Agree.

Ya we'll see how he turns out. If he can be at least a solid backup it was a win. But personally I don't see him turning into some pro bowl player

It'll be really difficult for him to become a pro bowler because he's playing alongside kittle, CMC, Deebo, and Aiyuk.

i can see him being clutch for us on third downs and redzone though. If he becomes a pro bowler or ends up with great stats these next few seasons will be because he's open with the defense super focused on every one else and matched up against misfits.

I'm referring to his skill set.

I would've preferred a better run blocking TE if we are just looking for a solid backup.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
This dude was a LB for the first 2 years in college? I didn't know that.

Wow!

DE/OLB
Say he continues to improve at the TE position… could be a good player for the 49ers!

Crazy! Sounds like quite the project. But he'll be learning from the best now.

You not gonna get a blue chip at pick 101. You only can hope for a raw project guy that is already good enough to beat out the current low cieling back ups already on the roster.

Kittle and Greenlaw say hi, oh Brock Purdy sends an email greeting.

I thought blue chips were prospects coming out who are "NFL Ready" and polished?
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Will be interesting to see how he pans out, my completely uneducated eye test tells me I would want to see more separation on a "highlight reel" considering its Bama and he had a soon to be NFL qb throwing to him.

Agree.

Ya we'll see how he turns out. If he can be at least a solid backup it was a win. But personally I don't see him turning into some pro bowl player

It'll be really difficult for him to become a pro bowler because he's playing alongside kittle, CMC, Deebo, and Aiyuk.

i can see him being clutch for us on third downs and redzone though. If he becomes a pro bowler or ends up with great stats these next few seasons will be because he's open with the defense super focused on every one else and matched up against misfits.

I'm referring to his skill set.

I would've preferred a better run blocking TE if we are just looking for a solid backup.

Yeah, he definitely has a lot of areas that need to improve if he wants to be a difference maker. He's still raw. I think the separation will increase as his route running technique grows - which he should be able to learn through coaching and kittle, then couple that with Kyle scheming him open. He should be fine.

i would be more concerned if we didn't have Kittle, but since he won't be TE1 this year, he should be very effective when his number is called.
I think I dislike this pick because it happened in round 3. Luter Jr. in round 3, and Latu in round 5 would have given them a better draft grade

Don't understand this pick at all. Kid needs to develop a ton both as a route runner and definitely as a blocker. Waste of a pick after a waste of a pick with plenty of talent left on the board.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't understand this pick at all. Kid needs to develop a ton both as a route runner and definitely as a blocker. Waste of a pick after a waste of a pick with plenty of talent left on the board.

dude is just a football player how do you think he went from Utah high school football to Alabama, he then learns a new position and climbs the ladder on one of if not the most stacked depth chart in America, what is not to like
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I'm really bummed that we were in striking range of Tucker Kraft and he went to an NFC rival.

I hope Latu proves me wrong but I'm more excited about Willis pick than his.
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by GLT49ers:
Even more weapons for trey

i was hoping we would move up and take Washington. Thought with our running style he would be extremely good in our system. Not to mention a redzone threat, oh well. Had we gotten him though, we would have won the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone