49ers rookie Ricky Pearsall will make NFL debut vs. Chiefs →

There are 226 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

just imagine a year or two in the weight room and learning to play the position from 85

Has almost five years in the weight room and learning from 85 for as long, helped Dwelley progress much?

Dwelley was udfa, so he's living his dream just being in NFL

Latu was putting up 100+ yds and a tuddy in the Natty, setting school records at Bama.. I view them as not the same tier of TE, Latu has some star potential, Dwelley more of a TE to round out your roster
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

just imagine a year or two in the weight room and learning to play the position from 85

Has almost five years in the weight room and learning from 85 for as long, helped Dwelley progress much?

dwelley is a different human being, they are not the same person. hope this helps
As much as I find this pick unimpressive and low-ceiling, the guy's hands and ability to find a soft spot in the zone are two pluses that can help. I just dislike low ceiling and his weak blocking. Maybe they feel like Dwelley is more of a receiver whereas Latu is more of a receiving TE on his routes ?

He's not a weak blocker. He's more of a high floor than a low ceiling.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Great potential…….if he can stay healthy.

Would be OUTSTANDING to have a legit 2 TE formation option.
That's the thing I thought of-health

Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
this was a bit early but I think their hand was forced. All of the TEs were gone. I thought this guy was a 4th or 5th round pick but at least we got a TE and he will fit our scheme.

I thought he would be a 5th also, because of health.
Originally posted by WildBill:

this was a bit early but I think their hand was forced. All of the TEs were gone. I thought this guy was a 4th or 5th round pick but at least we got a TE and he will fit our scheme.

Did he have injury issues in college? If so, hope that changes. It may as he won't have as many reps here for his first couple years, at least.

i also love what he brings to the table for dynamic two TE sets, it's a beautiful thing. Just weapons all over the field. I like the other TE we grabbed but he seems like he will need a year or two to develop and then will take over for Juice or so.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Did he have injury issues in college? If so, hope that changes. It may as he won't have as many reps here for his first couple years, at least.

i also love what he brings to the table for dynamic two TE sets, it's a beautiful thing. Just weapons all over the field. I like the other TE we grabbed but he seems like he will need a year or two to develop and then will take over for Juice or so.

It is a concern, he is also new to the position, as he was DL before, 2.5 years experience at the college level. He is a very smart player.

Question is how good is he really since he played for a talented Bama team.
It is a concern, he is also new to the position, as he was DL before, 2.5 years experience at the college level. He is a very smart player.

LB actually but yeah that is a good point. He's definitely an ascending player that hasn't reached his ceiling of what he can be and for him to take the TE position at Bama after the position switch and set records while at it; that is impressive to be sure.
IIRC, Brian Fleury is pretty new to coaching up TE's. But there's little doubt Kittle will rub off on both.
Originally posted by NCommand:
IIRC, Brian Fleury is pretty new to coaching up TE's. But there's little doubt Kittle will rub off on both.

PM Kittle to take the kids to TE camp
Originally posted by tankle104:

I've always felt like players who can successfully switch from offense to defense or vice versa, have a unique advantage because they know how the opposite side of
The ball plays and thinks. It's one thing to understand what they're doing vs having done it.

Coach sark and other coaches have said this guy is super smart and absorbed the playbook very well. So that's exciting - hopefully it translates here. He did very well at Alabama, which asks a lot of their TEs

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by KiwiM3:
Scot McCloughan loved the pick and would have taken him even higher, for what it's worth.

Scott compared him to Tony Gonzales.

He had a 2nd rd grade on him. He said that he runs routes similar to Gonzales and said he bets Latu was a former baller (which he was). He sure as s**t isn't as athletic as Tony was.

For a third round pick if he's half as good as Tony Gonzales, that's Brent Jones territory. Kittle wasn't known to catch passes, yet he's the one who broke some NFL records catching passes, so you can never say never in the NFL nowadays.
Originally posted by NCommand:

PM Kittle to take the kids to TE camp

TE University...I believe that connection may have been a big reason they drafted Latu so high; Kittle's input in working with him.
Latu was my least favorite pick in the draft(once I got my mind over the kicker in the 3rd round of course) but I hope 49ers and McGloughlan see it the right way and the kid develops into a stud for us.

I have some nice memories of Dwelley but if Latu and Willis aren't on the active roster this season it will be a disappointment imo.

He was their 2nd 3rd round compensatory pick. That's the same as being an early 4th rounder so he was picked about where you felt he should be. I think he might turn out to be better than some of us expect. Alabama has had so many speedy WRs that TE hasn't been a targeted position very much in recent years. Only when they were forced to use them if the WRs were injured. The TE is required to block at Alabama so he's probably good at that.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 5, 2023 at 7:36 AM ]
I don't get to watch much college ball so just watching small clips and highlights but he seems to have great hands snatching the ball away from his body.
Share 49ersWebzone