LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 281 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by raywm3:
Yeah, Idk if anyone was/is excited about Latu lol.

On another note, in case I missed it, has the regime ever said what it was in Latu that excited them? Like, WHY we drafted that guy that high?

They like his skill set and how he runs routes - he's raw but apparently really intelligent. He is a former basketball player and they said the way he runs routes is really smooth and the way he moves. He was a different position before going to TE, I think a d lineman, so he's raw but set some Alabamas te records.

I actually like him a lot but he needs a season before he will be a big deal for us because he needs to know his assignment and how to block properly.

kyle said he asks more from the TEs than any other position , besides QBs. I think if we place him on IR, it'll benefit the team in the long run because he really isn't ready to contribute a lot but you don't want to lose - I think we keep kittle, woerner, & dwelley. Unfortunately. I was hoping Latu and willis would be able to contribute more because of their talent in the pass game.

willis is a good blocker, he may make it but idk. Both guys are pretty raw and willis needs more size for the nfl.

id rather us keep 2 QBs on the 53 and retain a 4th TE like willis that is super versatile and a good run blocker
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 27, 2023 at 2:06 PM ]
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
so what is the final word on this dude, is he going to help us this year?

This year? Nah dudes a project Woerner will probably be #2 TE cause he can run block
my guess is he will go on the IR.

this guy does have potential he gets open and is pretty explosive his hands are really bad
Originally posted by Patton:
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think he goes on IR & is redshirted this year

Have we had any red shirt success stories?

Nope. Never. We've been burned since Marcus Lattimore. If Latu is healthy enough to come back this year, let him come back. Him sitting isn't going to help any of the issues he has.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Patton:
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think he goes on IR & is redshirted this year

Have we had any red shirt success stories?

Nope. Never. We've been burned since Marcus Lattimore. If Latu is healthy enough to come back this year, let him come back. Him sitting isn't going to help any of the issues he has.
Jennings?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Jennings?

Good catch. So theres precedent!
IIRC Jennings was cut and re-signed to the PS, not redshirt IR
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Love it that he made the team. Reminds me of a raw Trey Lance. I hope ShanaLynch learned their Trey Lance lesson and keep Latu and develop him property. By next year if he's good to go, he'll replace Dwelly or Warner.
He didn't make the cut, he's on IR with a questionable injury which probably means that he would've been waived otherwise and they didn't want to risk putting a 3rd round pick on the waiver.
Jalen Hurd 2.0

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zugschef:
He didn't make the cut, he's on IR with a questionable injury which probably means that he would've been waived otherwise and they didn't want to risk putting a 3rd round pick on the waiver.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Jalen Hurd 2.0

He made the team and can be developed. As far as I understand it, if you are on IR and are healthy I think you can practice with the team with certain limitations. (which I don't know about). Hopefully Latu has more dog in him than Jalen did. Some guy's just aren't mentally built to play in the NFL. It's a brutal sport.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Jalen Hurd 2.0

He made the team and can be developed. As far as I understand it, if you are on IR and are healthy I think you can practice with the team with certain limitations. (which I don't know about). Hopefully Latu has more dog in him than Jalen did. Some guy's just aren't mentally built to play in the NFL. It's a brutal sport.

He can only attend classroom meetings. He's done for the year. Maybe next year, Jalen.

As expected, it's the later round guy > early round guy.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 30, 2023 at 5:33 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Jalen Hurd 2.0

He can only attend classroom meetings. He's done for the year. Maybe next year, Jalen.

As expected, it's the later round guy > early round guy.

Well, if it's any consolation, both the rams, seattle and the cardinals also haven't had great luck in the early rounds. Kyler Murray is another high pick QB that's dealing with injuries. The reason both Seattle and Rams tossed their early draft picks is because they also sucked at drafting early. I think I read a Webzone post about the percentage of first round picks that became starters on the team was about 28% (Starters that actually played vs being IR'ed like Latu, traded, or just bench warmer like Solomon). 28% percent! Wow. Now if you get an UDFA - starting, like Breida - then if that Webzoner's point is even remotely accurate, *any* starter you can get via free agency or the draft is equivalent to a first round pick!
Could've REALLY used OL or CB with this pick, but noooooooooo…..
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Jennings?

Good catch. So theres precedent!

Banks as well.
Share 49ersWebzone