LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 222 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
After the draft KS was asked about whether Cam Latu is the starter going into camp and whether it is an Aaron Banks type situation.

KS said no.

Cam has not been around the facility at all apparently.

Not a good start to his career and a long shot for TE development let alone TE2 roster spot

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/kyle_shanahan_gives_obvious_signal_san_francisco_49ers_2023_draft_pick_is_in_his_doghouse/s1_17313_40294736

Why would anyone ask if Latu was going to be the starter going into camp?

Kittle is the obvious starter. He meant whether Latu is going to claim the TE2 role. The team is desperate for a second TE. This 2024 was class was weak. We clearly didnt get our top options in free agency. The stage is set for Latu to take over, but he is nowhere to be found. Probably playing video games with Dante Pettis.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
After the draft KS was asked about whether Cam Latu is the starter going into camp and whether it is an Aaron Banks type situation.

KS said no.

Not a good start to his career and a long shot for TE development let alone TE2 roster spot

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/kyle_shanahan_gives_obvious_signal_san_francisco_49ers_2023_draft_pick_is_in_his_doghouse/s1_17313_40294736

Damn.

A huge red flag for me was when he was on Detroit's sideline comforting his friend and the game barely ended. That's just moronic, he should've been there celebrating with his team. IMO

I don't see that as a red flag. There would be time to celebrate with his team and if we're being honest...not like he contributed to it. Being there for a friend in a tough moment shows a good person. Now he just needs to get good hands.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by genus49:

KS said no.

Damn.

A huge red flag for me was when he was on Detroit's sideline comforting his friend and the game barely ended. That's just moronic, he should've been there celebrating with his team. IMO

I don't see that as a red flag. There would be time to celebrate with his team and if we're being honest...not like he contributed to it. Being there for a friend in a tough moment shows a good person. Now he just needs to get good hands.

Yah I get that but the game wasn't even over yet. You could always be there for your friend after the game, but team first should always be the mentality.
Make or break time for him.

KS said no.

Damn.

I remember someone from the other team comforting Deebo after a loss. Not a red flag at all, just says he has empathy for the other teams players.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

KS said no.

Damn.

I remember someone from the other team comforting Deebo after a loss. Not a red flag at all, just says he has empathy for the other teams players.

I think it is more of a red flag not being able to catch a football.
Originally posted by Wrathman:

KS said no.

Damn.

I think it is more of a red flag not being able to catch a football.

LOL. Agree.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

KS said no.

Damn.

Again that was OBJ AFTER the game. But whatever if you guys see no problem with that cool. Its just my opinion.
I'm a huge optimist with draft picks but this one was an immediate bust as soon as I heard it. It was a good TE class last year and we managed to get the worse one. Oh well, every team has that obvious miss.
Concerned about the TE group?
Arena League to the rescue.

As with all draft picks, until they have a chance to "prove it", good or bad, on the field, it is wise to withhold judgment.

That having been said, the fact the 49ers went after a couple of TEs in FA, and signed a UDFA and now bringing in another for a tryout, should send a strong message that Latu needs to step it up or he will be in the arena league.

I suspect Kyle will give him every chance to make the roster. It would be a shame to toss away a 3rd round pick without ever seeing the field in a serious game. It would not be a good look.
[ Edited by dj43 on Apr 30, 2024 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
As with all draft picks, until they have a chance to "prove it", good or bad, on the field, it is wise to withhold judgment.

That having been said, the fact the 49ers went after a couple of TEs in FA, and signed a UDFA and now bringing in another for a tryout, should send a strong message that Latu needs to step it up or he will be in the arena league.

I suspect Kyle will give him every chance to make the roster. It would be a shame to toss away a 3rd round pick without ever seeing the field in a serious game. It would not be a good look.

You mean a shame to toss away yet another 3rd round pick without ever seeing the field in a serious games. Latu trying to join Davis-Price, Sermon, Hurd...
[ Edited by scooterhd on Apr 30, 2024 at 4:38 PM ]
Originally posted by scooterhd:

You mean a shame to away yet another 3rd round pick without ever seeing the field in a serious games. Latu trying to join Davis-Price, Sermon, Hurd...

We shall see.
  • thl408

If a player sucks in practice, there's no need to put him on the field in a serious game. I'm speaking in general, not specifically about Latu.
Originally posted by thl408:

If a player sucks in practice, there's no need to put him on the field in a serious game. I'm speaking in general, not specifically about Latu.
I generally agree with you.

I don't recall how much run Latu actually got last year but I do remember reports of him dropping some easy ones. It seems the hope was he could work his way through it but was injured before he made it. Hence, he was red-shirted, IIRC.

If he hasn't received the message that he is put on notice then he will be in the grocery store.
Share 49ersWebzone