There are 262 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
With the Raiders drafting Brock Bowers, John Lynch should call them to see if Michael Mayer is available and what they are asking.

That's a damn good idea. I'd even call the Ravens and inquire about Likely

Or, if the Ravens say take a hike on Likely, how about their other TE, Charlie Kolar? Kolar was one of Purdy's top targets at Iowa State and put up some good numbers w/ Brock:

2019: 51 Rec, 697 yards, 7 TDs

2020: 44 Rec, 591 yards, 7 TDs

2021: 62 Rec, 756 yards, 6 TDs

That's not a bad idea either.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I'm optimistic about him but not exactly confident. I really hope he comes in strong and shows great development.

This kid was massively overdrafted. I saw nothing special at all with him to be a late 3rd rd pick. When you're taking someone that high, it's to be a starter not hopefully compete with Charlie Worner or Dwelley

Hopefully he's ready to roll this off season and show everyone why he belongs on this roster

That's always been my view of 3rd round picks- their floor should be competent starters. Not necessarily immediately,but if they can't by year 2, it should only be because there is great talent in front of them. But when your 3rd round picks are bottom of the roster guys, that will kill most teams. I'm really curious on our 3rd round philosophy. Puni is a departure from the norm (I think he's a good pick). It's like they take guys in the 3rd in hopes of how they will fit the system or because they dony want to wait until the 4th round.

It started with CJ Beathard and I think Latu was drafted in that same spirit in my opinion.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm optimistic about him but not exactly confident. I really hope he comes in strong and shows great development.

This kid was massively overdrafted. I saw nothing special at all with him to be a late 3rd rd pick. When you're taking someone that high, it's to be a starter not hopefully compete with Charlie Worner or Dwelley

Hopefully he's ready to roll this off season and show everyone why he belongs on this roster

That's always been my view of 3rd round picks- their floor should be competent starters. Not necessarily immediately,but if they can't by year 2, it should only be because there is great talent in front of them. But when your 3rd round picks are bottom of the roster guys, that will kill most teams. I'm really curious on our 3rd round philosophy. Puni is a departure from the norm (I think he's a good pick). It's like they take guys in the 3rd in hopes of how they will fit the system or because they dony want to wait until the 4th round.

It started with CJ Beathard and I think Latu was drafted in that same spirit in my opinion.

Statistically, our third round drafting has been pretty bad outside of Warner. From 2017-2022, we've missed on 8 third round picks and only hit Warner. In 2023, we have brown, moody, and Latu - I really like brown and moody (even if it was high for a kicker). So our third round drafting has been bad.

regarding NY, I'll admit I really like the idea of what they were chasing with Latu but concerned we picked a dud - especially on that crazy heavy TE class that year.

Statistically, our third round drafting has been pretty bad outside of Warner. From 2017-2022, we've missed on 8 third round picks and only hit Warner. In 2023, we have brown, moody, and Latu - I really like brown and moody (even if it was high for a kicker). So our third round drafting has been bad.

regarding NY, I'll admit I really like the idea of what they were chasing with Latu but concerned we picked a dud - especially on that crazy heavy TE class that year.

3rd round seems to be the spot they're ok reaching for guys they like and in some cases go up to get guys they don't want to wait around for in day 3 - like Beathard.

Some of the picks I feel like were made for the wrong reasons. I think we drafted Sermon because of the Trey pick. Neither worked out.

We drafted TDP due to the issue in the Rams NFCCG of not being able to pickup a key 2nd 1 that would've won us that game.

I think Hurd was a good pick but injuries simply got him. By all accounts he was looking terrific in that camp and in that first preseason game before the injury derailed his career.

Witherspoon was a solid pick. Beathard was a Kyle reach for sure.

Brown and Moody are TBD and while Latu is off to a poor start he's still there too.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
What was wrong with him last preseason? Just drops right? That can be corrected.

Was he blocking and getting open, or no?
Originally posted by pd24:
What was wrong with him last preseason? Just drops right? That can be corrected.

Just nervous drops, then got hurt. I thought his hands were fine in college

Giovanni Carmazzi Syndrome

Yeah, I think just drops were the big deal. I still think this guy has a lot of potential, I just hope he's been grinding all year while we essentially red shirted him. I don't think he was injured in the sense of he had to rehab all year.

he was raw coming out cause he was a late switch to TE in college.

i really like the way Latu runs though. It's smooth like a basketball player out there. If this guy can develop and compliment kittle - he'll add a dynamic to kyles offense that we've never had. It'll be closest thing to Hernandez/gronk the league has seen, IMO. Just
hopefully with less murder.

Yeah, I think just drops were the big deal. I still think this guy has a lot of potential, I just hope he's been grinding all year while we essentially red shirted him. I don't think he was injured in the sense of he had to rehab all year.

he was raw coming out cause he was a late switch to TE in college.

i really like the way Latu runs though. It's smooth like a basketball player out there. If this guy can develop and compliment kittle - he'll add a dynamic to kyles offense that we've never had. It'll be closest thing to Hernandez/gronk the league has seen, IMO. Just
hopefully with less murder.

Agree. IMO,he better be healthy and focused or his future will take a big hit.

This kid Latu was massively overdrafted. I saw nothing special at all with him to be a late 3rd rd pick.
when your 3rd round picks are bottom of the roster guys, that will kill most teams.

The Lynch/Shanahan era 49ers are great in the later rounds (good scouts?) but sucked badly in the early rounds. Are the same guys making the picks in the late rounds? Virtually all of those 3rd rd comp picks have been wasted. It's truly amazing that the 49ers are as good as they have been.

Examples of gross over-drafting or outright busts in early rounds by 49ers

2017 (muffed first 5 picks!)
Rd 1 Solomon Thomas (#3 overall with Mahomes available)
Rd 1 Reuben Foster
Rd 3 Ahkello Witherspoon
Rd 3 CJ Beathard
Rd 4 Joe Williams

Rd 1 Mike McGlinchey
Rd 2 Dante Pettis (trade up)
Rd 3 Tarvarius Moore
Rd 4 Kentavius Street

Rd 3 Jalen Hurd

Rd 1 Javon Kinlaw (traded Deforest Buckner, who could end up in the HOF !!! would have won superbowl if kept Buckner)

Rd 1 Trey Lance (traded up to #3, gave up 3 #1 picks !!!)
Rd 2 Aaron Banks
Rd 3 Trey Sermon
Rd 3 Ambry Thomas

Rd 2 Drake Jackson ???
Rd 3 Tyrion Davis-Price
Rd 3 Danny Gray
Rd 4 Spencer Burford

2023 (too early to judge)
Rd 3 Jake Moody ?
Rd 3 Cameron Latu ??
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 10, 2024 at 4:11 PM ]

If he stays healthy he will get some serious playtime
Could he get 20 plays a game?
Originally posted by Hangman_52:

Originally posted by RonnieLott:

Maybe we should wait to see how he looks in camp first? I sure hope he's been working at improving himself. I'm sure the 49ers would love to see him take the TE2 spot but after last season they're definitely not going to just hand it to him.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Hangman_52:

Originally posted by RonnieLott:

Maybe we should wait to see how he looks in camp first? I sure hope he's been working at improving himself. I'm sure the 49ers would love to see him take the TE2 spot but after last season they're definitely not going to just hand it to him.

The good news is he was getting open. If he just catches the ball, it's going to be like found money for us.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on May 18, 2024 at 1:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone