There are 219 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 91til:
every time this thread is bumped I assume it's someone basically just being like "f**k this guy"

and it usually is, lol

Reminds me of the Dee Ford thread toward the end of his time here
I hope this guy makes me eat crow. It would be great to have competition in the TE group.
It's still early in his career. Reports are that he's a character guy. On the field, nearly 800 yards receiving and 12 TDs his last two years in college. He's not chopped liver.

I'm pulling for him.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
It's still early in his career. Reports are that he's a character guy. On the field, nearly 800 yards receiving and 12 TDs his last two years in college. He's not chopped liver.

I'm pulling for him.

Tim Tebow was a character guy who put up incredible numbers his final 2 years in college.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I'm pulling for him.

Tim Tebow was a character guy who put up incredible numbers his final 2 years in college.

Folks wouldn't care about this dude if he was drafted when he should have been taken.

hopefully he can't prove some fans wrong, Latu is just another guy on my list that was overdrafted by this team.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm pulling for him.

Folks wouldn't care about this dude if he was drafted when he should have been taken.

hopefully he can't prove some fans wrong, Latu is just another guy on my list that was overdrafted by this team.

I think the reality is gonna be that he makes the roster due to his draft spot and a more deserving player misses the cut and gets poached from our practice squad.
I never really care much where a player is drafted if he can play. We don't know about Latu since he was injured. I know some people think he was drafted too high but that assumes that we would have drafted someone better in his place that ended up bing good. There are no guarantees even for 1st round picks as we saw recently. Draft projections vary widely so I don't pay much attention to them.

I'm pulling for him.

And Tebo achieved nothing in the NFL... wait.
Are you really making the argument that those qualities don't count? Dismissing character? Dismissing a measure of success at the prior level? Certainly those things don't guarantee success in the NFL, but there are no guarantees regardless.
I'm just saying there is some there there, and we'll see if he steps up. From who he is and what he's done at the prior level there may be a better chance that he shows his quality than y'all are giving him.
By the way way, overdrafting to me is a nothingburger. They do what they have to do to get the player they want.

Regarding Latu, they wanted him and they got him. Now he's got to battle to show he's going to help his team win. I'm in a watching-with-hope mode.

I'm pulling for him.

Are you really making the argument that those qualities don't count? Dismissing character? Dismissing a measure of success at the prior level? Certainly those things don't guarantee success in the NFL, but there are no guarantees regardless.
I'm just saying there is some there there, and we'll see if he steps up. From who he is and what he's done at the prior level there may be a better chance that he shows his quality than y'all are giving him.

I'm saying what a player does on the field is far more important than his character or Tyreek Hill wouldn't be on a roster. Tebow went to the playoffs and won a game and then was unceremoniously ran out of the league cause he wasn't good and his team he was on went on to win a Super Bowl once he was gone. His marginal success in college doesn't translate to give this kid the benefit of the doubt.

I think the reality is gonna be that he makes the roster due to his draft spot and a more deserving player misses the cut and gets poached from our practice squad.

Yup

I'm pulling for him.

I'm saying what a player does on the field is far more important than his character or Tyreek Hill wouldn't be on a roster. Tebow went to the playoffs and won a game and then was unceremoniously ran out of the league cause he wasn't good and his team he was on went on to win a Super Bowl once he was gone. His marginal success in college doesn't translate to give this kid the benefit of the doubt.

Of course a player needs to play well. But character qualities like perseverance through failure or injuries, striving for excellence, helping your teammates on the field, all are what a good player does on the field.

I'm just agreeing to disagree----for the moment-----on what these things translate to for this guy.

Dismissing what measure of success in college? Dude played 5 yrs and had less than 1K and a dozen TDs to show for it.

Who's saying he's got some amazing character anyway? I haven't heard anything extraordinary there.

your points as to why he might have success don't really add up imo. He wasn't amazing or really even that good in college and his character from what I've ready isn't some Tom Brady first in last out s**t.

We all hope he pans out…guess what, there's a ton of dudes like him that are trying to make it in the NFL. TONS of players that have played though s**t and dealt with all kinds of crap all the same… I see no special traits that separates him from most there.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 9, 2024 at 8:55 AM ]

Bingo.
By the way way, overdrafting to me is a nothingburger. They do what they have to do to get the player they want.

Regarding Latu, they wanted him and they got him. Now he's got to battle to show he's going to help his team win. I'm in a watching-with-hope mode.

And often times that overdraft doesn't work out. They miss opportunities to draft much better players. They misread the rest of the league and how they felt about him imo.

Is what it is now…hope he balls out. I don't think fans have to just accept massive reaches like that every yr.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 9, 2024 at 9:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone