There are 163 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I think the reality is gonna be that he makes the roster due to his draft spot and a more deserving player misses the cut and gets poached from our practice squad.

Yup

If he sucks Kyle will cut him. He was already given a freebee offseason (stashed on IR) to get himself up to speed. If he shows up in 2024 not showing any promise, I don't think Kyle will keep him around. This is a 'win now' season - no time to keep a high pick on the roster if the coaches no longer see potential.
Originally posted by thl408:
I think the reality is gonna be that he makes the roster due to his draft spot and a more deserving player misses the cut and gets poached from our practice squad.

Yup

If he sucks Kyle will cut him. He was already given a freebee offseason (stashed on IR) to get himself up to speed. If he shows up in 2024 not showing any promise, I don't think Kyle will keep him around. This is a 'win now' season - no time to keep a high pick on the roster if the coaches no longer see potential.

Like CC used to say, "You said nothing wrong."
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
By the way way, overdrafting to me is a nothingburger. They do what they have to do to get the player they want.

Regarding Latu, they wanted him and they got him. Now he's got to battle to show he's going to help his team win. I'm in a watching-with-hope mode.

And often times that overdraft doesn't work out. They miss opportunities to draft much better players. They misread the rest of the league and how they felt about him imo.

Is what it is now…hope he balls out. I don't think fans have to just accept massive reaches like that every yr.

That's the thing, you're sold on "the massive overreach," I think that conclusion is premature because he's new and he blew out his knee.

Of course fans can have whatever opinion they want, but I don't share your low view about the competence of the team's brain trust for the draft. They've made miscalculations, but the team's sitting mostly pretty because of their overall success in the draft and with other personnel actions.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yup

True. Which is why folks get annoyed with the over drafting.
I hope he doesn't suck, probably just needs a ton of practice reps to be ready. Some rookies are ready right out the gate and some still need to cook.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I hope he doesn't suck, probably just needs a ton of practice reps to be ready. Some rookies are ready right out the gate and some still need to cook.

Let's just hope he's taken his "red shirt year" extremely serious. The kid has some serious talent, IMO, but he needs to show great strides.

if not, it'll be interesting to see if we move him. If he can develop right - man that would be huge for this offense.

Kyle has said that he probably asks more of the TEs than every other position (I'm sure short of qb). So it is a lot for the guy but this is the pros. Needs to get it together
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
That's the thing, you're sold on "the massive overreach," I think that conclusion is premature because he's new and he blew out his knee.

Of course fans can have whatever opinion they want, but I don't share your low view about the competence of the team's brain trust for the draft. They've made miscalculations, but the team's sitting mostly pretty because of their overall success in the draft and with other personnel actions.

Can you name me one player that most would have considered a massive reach that turned into a good quality player?

the only guy that we can objectively say that's true for is a Wishnowsky a punter

I mean I would even give you Banks BUT IMO if you're burning a top 50 pick on a guard only prospect, he better be f**king really good and looked at as a guy they will man that position past his rookie deal. So far neither of those things are true with him.

Also I'm not saying they suck at drafting…I'm saying they do have a tendency to overdraft a guy or two every yr. They rely too much on coaches input on draft picks and misread how the rest of the league feels about certain players.

Latu and a dozen others fall in this category.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Let's just hope he's taken his "red shirt year" extremely serious. The kid has some serious talent, IMO, but he needs to show great strides.

if not, it'll be interesting to see if we move him. If he can develop right - man that would be huge for this offense.

Kyle has said that he probably asks more of the TEs than every other position (I'm sure short of qb). So it is a lot for the guy but this is the pros. Needs to get it together

Where are you seeing this serious talent? Just curious.

I mean he's got questionable hands, doesn't have the measurables at all. I wouldn't say he's a great blocking TE either.

he wasn't a top 100 prospect in that draft. That draft was stocked with good young TE and they could have moved some picks to get one imo.

hopefully he magically shows up in camp and makes something happen.
Scot McCloughan said that he scouted Latu for three years and had a second round grade on him. He said that Latu competes and that he has a chance to eventually be an every down tight end. He also said that he's raw.

Brent Jones said that early injuries can detrail a career by taking away opportunities. Let's hope that didn't happen for Latu.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
Originally posted by Lurker:
Scot McCloughan said that he scouted Latu for three years and had a second round grade on him. He said that Latu competes and that he has a chance to eventually be an every down tight end. He also said that he's raw.

Brent Jones said that early injuries can detrail a career by taking away opportunities. Let's hope that didn't happen for Latu.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

By all accounts Latu is a good player...he just can't stay on the field so far and has unreliable hands.

Injuries sometimes you can't control. The hands...we'll see if he put in the work.

Right now it's hard to feel excited about the kid's future but considering where he was drafted I'd love for him to show us something.

I am not holding my breath on this guy.
Originally posted by genus49:
By all accounts Latu is a good player...he just can't stay on the field so far and has unreliable hands.

Injuries sometimes you can't control. The hands...we'll see if he put in the work.

Right now it's hard to feel excited about the kid's future but considering where he was drafted I'd love for him to show us something.

How can you say by all accounts Latu is a good player?

That was sarcasm.

Tho to be fair he had some positives in camp last year…just sprinkled with "but he failed to make the catch"

That was sarcasm.

Tho to be fair he had some positives in camp last year…just sprinkled with "but he failed to make the catch"
yet he scores TDs when games are played.

I had JJ as being a good asset when some here made the same comments about JJ. I see the same player in JJ with Latu. Just needs to stay healthy
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

I don't think we get rid of a backup TE if this guy can't play. We brought in some security but I bet he can help us in some way this season.
Share 49ersWebzone