LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 325 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
They've got a decent #2 TE option finally.

on the last Tweet, where is the TD?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm not sure about this pick at all. What does he give so amazing that he's worth 3rd round? We have TE's on this team. Starter and capable backup. What do you do with him? Special teams? 3rd string? I don't get this one.
what capable pass catching TE do we have?
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
He slow
Really was hoping Blake Freeland was the pick instead of Latu.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
ShanaLynch are high on this guy...has the hands, nice burst. He'll be hard to cover, especially when they employ the 2 TE sets. Bye bye, Dwelley.

This. People are knocking him for his speed, which is true, he's not fast. However, just watch his tape. He is a mismatch problem. He is physical and doesn't shy away from contact. He is going to wear DBs out banging into them. He is a hands catcher. Does a good job extending his arms and not letting the ball get into his body. Overall, he needs development and add strength, but he has the ability to step in day 1 and be a good #2 TE creating mismatches.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Is this guy even good? How many average TEs are we gonna waste picks on?
I don't see him as an upgrade over what they had behind Kittle.

He's not.
SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • He'll have to develop a better feel for sitting down against zone coverage.
  • He's a work in progress as a blocker, often playing too high and getting overpowered at the point of attack.
  • Struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder.
  • Latu really isn't a guy who will create a lot of separation.
yet if you watch his highlights.. he does all of that well

I've watched plenty of Latu film. No idea where tf that evaluation comes from. He blocks well, runs solid routes, and finds spots in the zone. He's not a top flight athlete like Kittle but those guys don't grow on trees.

He and Whyle IMO were the two best tight ends left on the board. Totally fine with this pick having seen for myself that he has the talent. Better athlete than Dwelley coming out and with a bigger program. Good shot to win that job.

I was hoping for a replacement or understudy for Juszczyk, this guy doesn't look like it. However, I still like the pick. Like NC said, he might block Riddick a lot better than the other TE we had in the NFCCG. I hope he's durable like Kittle. The way Latu runs, reminds me a bit of Kittle too. I think, considering Purdy loves throwing to his TE's like Kittle, this may be the offensive tweaks that Kyle is doing to make Purdy more effective as a passer.

Hunter Luepke is still out there.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
this was a bit early but I think their hand was forced. All of the TEs were gone. I thought this guy was a 4th or 5th round pick but at least we got a TE and he will fit our scheme.
Absolutely. Good player in a spot we were forced to do it.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This off-season has sucked so far. Team got worse.

Hargrave will impact this team more than a 3rd round rookie. Don't get me wrong this draft has been absolute torture but we will be fine.

Absolutely. AA/Hargrave are going to be monsters.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Philly got significantly better this off-season

They literally got worse, even with a good draft. Come on lol

I love Carter as a player, but the fact is, he fell for a reason. Philly lost proven talent and drafted promising rookies. That isn't better.
What an underwhelming f**king pick. Just like Woerner. Just like Dwelley. These guys are all carbon copies of each other. Big, slow, can catch, can block, blah blah blah. Shanahan and his hard on for mediocre tight ends. I HATE drafting for need if you're just taking "a guy". You can SIGN "a guy" off the street to be a 3rd string TE. When historically, you can get really good OL, DL, LB in the 3rd round. WTF
This dude was a LB for the first 2 years in college? I didn't know that.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:23 AM ]
Originally posted by raywm3:
What an underwhelming f**king pick. Just like Woerner. Just like Dwelley. These guys are all carbon copies of each other. Big, slow, can catch, can block, blah blah blah. Shanahan and his hard on for mediocre tight ends. I HATE drafting for need if you're just taking "a guy". You can SIGN "a guy" off the street to be a 3rd string TE. When historically, you can get really good OL, DL, LB in the 3rd round. WTF

Per RAS Ross Dwelley's pro day 40 time was 4.9.
https://ras.football/2019/12/17/ross-dwelley-ras-16947/

Cameron's was 4.78 at his pro day per this:
https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Cameron&l=Latu&i=31123

Originally posted by raywm3:

What are you basing this assessment of Latu on?
https://youtu.be/d-kfvPnwY-w

Said he modeled his game after Kittle since they stole some running plays from the Niners at Alabama lol
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:54 AM ]
Sounds like he was a fan of Kittle / Niners before getting drafted and seems like he is stoked to be here
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
This dude was a LB for the first 2 years in college? I didn't know that.

NFLdraftbuzz has him listed as TE/Edge
Rather see him at edge
Originally posted by steiber:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
ShanaLynch are high on this guy...has the hands, nice burst. He'll be hard to cover, especially when they employ the 2 TE sets. Bye bye, Dwelley.

This. People are knocking him for his speed, which is true, he's not fast. However, just watch his tape. He is a mismatch problem. He is physical and doesn't shy away from contact. He is going to wear DBs out banging into them. He is a hands catcher. Does a good job extending his arms and not letting the ball get into his body. Overall, he needs development and add strength, but he has the ability to step in day 1 and be a good #2 TE creating mismatches.

Gives Niner fans a Latu look forward to!
Share 49ersWebzone