LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 199 users in the forums

Cameron Latu-TE-3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Latu looked pretty good in a couple of games. I believe he was slowed a lot by small injuries that kept him from performing at his peak. People that are criticizing him are forgetting where the Niners are picking. Several good TEs were picked ahead of him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
This dude was a LB for the first 2 years in college? I didn't know that.

Wow!
Originally posted by Giedi:

Wow!

DE/OLB
Say he continues to improve at the TE position… could be a good player for the 49ers!
He may get a few snaps. Could make the team if he can connect with the QB, who ever will start.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Is this guy even good? How many average TEs are we gonna waste picks on?
I don't see him as an upgrade over what they had behind Kittle.

He's not.
SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • He'll have to develop a better feel for sitting down against zone coverage.
  • He's a work in progress as a blocker, often playing too high and getting overpowered at the point of attack.
  • Struggles tracking the ball over his shoulder.
  • Latu really isn't a guy who will create a lot of separation.
yet if you watch his highlights.. he does all of that well

Highlights don't show the bad plays
True, but it does show his potential and that he can do it if he puts in more work

Another report saying the basically same thing, Also slow AF 4.78-4.8

Weaknesses:
Needs work bodying and walling off coverage.
Needs to focus on making routes more elusive.
Less dynamic than expected after the catch.
Slender lower half as NFL base blocker.
Fits into blocks with tall pads and sloppy hands.
Will let catchable balls fall to the turf.

I always get a kick at the overly emotional. First draft?

Pay attention....1st rd or 7rd...who knows who will actually be any good.

Wasnt Kittle a 5th rder. Cant believe his scout report was all roses.

First douche bag post? Yes, my first NFL draft. I'm so excited. Does it now go from last pick to first pick like fantasy football? I'm confused.
I'll fall in line now and not have an opinion on draft picks.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
this was a bit early but I think their hand was forced. All of the TEs were gone. I thought this guy was a 4th or 5th round pick but at least we got a TE and he will fit our scheme.

He basically was a 4th round pick . Tacked on at the end of the 3rd as bonus picks so a tail end third or front end 4th.
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by steiber:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
ShanaLynch are high on this guy...has the hands, nice burst. He'll be hard to cover, especially when they employ the 2 TE sets. Bye bye, Dwelley.

This. People are knocking him for his speed, which is true, he's not fast. However, just watch his tape. He is a mismatch problem. He is physical and doesn't shy away from contact. He is going to wear DBs out banging into them. He is a hands catcher. Does a good job extending his arms and not letting the ball get into his body. Overall, he needs development and add strength, but he has the ability to step in day 1 and be a good #2 TE creating mismatches.

Gives Niner fans a Latu look forward to!

Huehuehuehue
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Latu looked pretty good in a couple of games. I believe he was slowed a lot by small injuries that kept him from performing at his peak. People that are criticizing him are forgetting where the Niners are picking. Several good TEs were picked ahead of him.

What was his knee issue last year? You know I've gotta ask. LOL
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Wow!

DE/OLB
Say he continues to improve at the TE position… could be a good player for the 49ers!

Crazy! Sounds like quite the project. But he'll be learning from the best now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

What was his knee issue last year? You know I've gotta ask. LOL

Yeah, I'm beginning to hear he had minor dings and so on in college. That got me thinking and a bit worried.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He's not.
  • He's a work in progress as a blocker, often playing too high and getting overpowered at the point of attack.

I've watched plenty of Latu film. No idea where tf that evaluation comes from. He blocks well, runs solid routes, and finds spots in the zone. He's not a top flight athlete like Kittle but those guys don't grow on trees.

He and Whyle IMO were the two best tight ends left on the board. Totally fine with this pick having seen for myself that he has the talent. Better athlete than Dwelley coming out and with a bigger program. Good shot to win that job.

I was hoping for a replacement or understudy for Juszczyk, this guy doesn't look like it. However, I still like the pick. Like NC said, he might block Riddick a lot better than the other TE we had in the NFCCG. I hope he's durable like Kittle. The way Latu runs, reminds me a bit of Kittle too. I think, considering Purdy loves throwing to his TE's like Kittle, this may be the offensive tweaks that Kyle is doing to make Purdy more effective as a passer.

Hunter Luepke is still out there.

Great point. For the longest time I wanted Kyle to get younger at kicker *and* at fullback considering Juszczyk is 32 (Gould was a solid gold 40 years old). I got the kicker, now I"m hoping for the fullback.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He's not.

I've watched plenty of Latu film. No idea where tf that evaluation comes from. He blocks well, runs solid routes, and finds spots in the zone. He's not a top flight athlete like Kittle but those guys don't grow on trees.

He and Whyle IMO were the two best tight ends left on the board. Totally fine with this pick having seen for myself that he has the talent. Better athlete than Dwelley coming out and with a bigger program. Good shot to win that job.

I was hoping for a replacement or understudy for Juszczyk, this guy doesn't look like it. However, I still like the pick. Like NC said, he might block Riddick a lot better than the other TE we had in the NFCCG. I hope he's durable like Kittle. The way Latu runs, reminds me a bit of Kittle too. I think, considering Purdy loves throwing to his TE's like Kittle, this may be the offensive tweaks that Kyle is doing to make Purdy more effective as a passer.

Hunter Luepke is still out there.

Great point. For the longest time I wanted Kyle to get younger at kicker *and* at fullback considering Juszczyk is 32 (Gould was a solid gold 40 years old). I got the kicker, now I"m hoping for the fullback.

Right now, I'm set on Coburn/Stills, Braeden Daniels, Isaiah McGuire, Kei'trel Clark, Derius Davis, and Luepke. We'll see.

Latu could be an experiment (played two positions in past)

Wow!

DE/OLB

…and he broke a school record for TD receptions at Alabama?!? That is impressive! I look forward to watching what he does on the field,

Wow!

DE/OLB

…and he broke a school record for TD receptions at Alabama?!? That is impressive! I look forward to watching what he does on the field,

Record for TEs, right?
Share 49ersWebzone