There are 753 users in the forums

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Originally posted by Crown:
eh - I remember when the Pistol was going to ruin the NFL and be unstoppable.

D figured it out, it faded. It still exists of course but it didnt ruin the game.

Eventually Ds will figure it out and slow it down.

The problem with this is the defense has to totally sell out for any chance stopping it, but not only does the offense have the advantage knowing the snap count, but they can also pull back and run a play to a totally undefended outside space. Since they have to put up some kind of defense against a fake, its almost impossible to win at the LOS.

This play should be outlawed in the same category as not being allowed to vault off a teammate to block a kick.

The annoying part of all this is I don't want a rule change to include refs starting to blow a players forward progress dead if he gets a push from his teammates.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Desmond Watson Florida Gators Junior. I found the answer! 6'5" 440 lbs.! He declares for the draft. We draft him. Put him in on Tush Push plays. He's the designated NT on short yardage and Tush Push plays. It could work.

That is a whole lot of dude there lol
Originally posted by Montana:
Desmond Watson Florida Gators Junior. I found the answer! 6'5" 440 lbs.! He declares for the draft. We draft him. Put him in on Tush Push plays. He's the designated NT on short yardage and Tush Push plays. It could work.

He might be able to help against that play. He's tailor made for the Tush Push defense.
The problem with that guy is he can't play except in special situations. I noticed he wasn't on the field that much for Florida. I suspect he has a stamina issue. Would the Niners use a roster spot for a guy like that?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The problem with that guy is he can't play except in special situations. I noticed he wasn't on the field that much for Florida. I suspect he has a stamina issue. Would the Niners use a roster spot for a guy like that?

If he can help stop Jalen Hurts and the Tush Push it could be useful for a playoff run.

He might be able to help against that play. He's tailor made for the Tush Push defense.

I agreed with you, sandiego49ers.. we looking for draft on NT about heavy weight over 330 to 440 lbs and possible stop them the Tush push.
What if on defense you do the same type of push where you push the defenders up front into the line?
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
What if on defense you do the same type of push where you push the defenders up front into the line?

Of course teams should do that. I'm shocked they have not been doing that. At least try that. Make a pile up push from the other side. Counter it.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran

Of course teams should do that. I'm shocked they have not been doing that. At least try that. Make a pile up push from the other side. Counter it.

Why do I feel like the ass push is cheating? Looks like dumb ass s**t that doesn't belong in the NFL

It is. The ball and QB is buried under the pile and it's hard to tell where the ball is until you uncover everyone and by then it surely has moved forward quite a bit.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ruixx:

Why do I feel like the ass push is cheating? Looks like dumb ass s**t that doesn't belong in the NFL

It is. The ball and QB is buried under the pile and it's hard to tell where the ball is until you uncover everyone and by then it surely has moved forward quite a bit.

Honestly the problem that I have with it is, defenders aren't allowed to use leverage from other players but the offense can?? Also we can't fully tell at any point after the hike if Hurts is driving with his knee on the ground, it seemed like it a couple times.

That's what you have to do, and it's selling out with all 11. If you watch BUF, they had guys on the edge on contain, and they end up spectating the play. So the D is hedging they may be running something else, but PHI doesn't hedge anything, they are all 11 pushing. You have to sell out and if they are running something else, good on them. It's a front line being pushed by a back line. Tie goes to the D in this case, yet perhaps the biggest advantage, the O controls the snap and they control the timing, so the D is firing a split second later.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Honestly the problem that I have with it is, defenders aren't allowed to use leverage from other players but the offense can?? Also we can't fully tell at any point after the hike if Hurts is driving with his knee on the ground, it seemed like it a couple times.

They should be able to use leverage if the offense can. That's absolutely ridiculous. Both can if one can. Otherwise it's wildly unfair.

They should be able to use leverage if the offense can. That's absolutely ridiculous. Both can if one can. Otherwise it's wildly unfair.

They can use leverage, you see scrum plays from time to time in football, this is where the ballcarrier is in the process of being tackled and refusing to go to ground. So both sides will push. I've seen that quite a few times, and never any foul for pushing the pile, on either side.
I think ppl get the rule confused, cuz it's illegal to push the pile if defending on kicks, but the push play is no kick obviously.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

They can use leverage, you see scrum plays from time to time in football, this is where the ballcarrier is in the process of being tackled and refusing to go to ground. So both sides will push. I've seen that quite a few times, and never any foul for pushing the pile, on either side.

Well that's what they should do. Instead of a traditional defensive line. Use leverage.
Share 49ersWebzone