There are 292 users in the forums

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

I don't get why they don't do a defensive Tush Push? Counter the same leverage opposite of it. Put 2 DT's and 2 LB's and 2 S's pushing behind them. Creating a counter wedge of leverage. Or time it like jump over the top like the Bowman play but better timed. Why don't these teams try different things? It's like they just completely get owned and keep accepting it over and over. At least try something. Even if it fails. A traditional defensive lineup will be defeated by this. We have seen that over and over. How many times do you have to see that to know it's not going to stop them? Try something different! They could check out of it and throw outside. There is always risks. But at least try a formation to actually counter all this leverage and maybe it will work. It just seems so dumb that all these teams keep accepting defeat on this play.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't get why they don't do a defensive Tush Push? Counter the same leverage opposite of it. Put 2 DT's and 2 LB's and 2 S's pushing behind them. Creating a counter wedge of leverage. Or time it like jump over the top like the Bowman play but better timed. Why don't these teams try different things? It's like they just completely get owned and keep accepting it over and over. At least try something. Even if it fails. A traditional defensive lineup will be defeated by this. We have seen that over and over. How many times do you have to see that to know it's not going to stop them? Try something different! They could check out of it and throw outside. There is always risks. But at least try a formation to actually counter all this leverage and maybe it will work. It just seems so dumb that all these teams keep accepting defeat on this play.

One issue I see if PHI keeps their base O on the field, and rushes the LOS, because PHI doesn't sub, the D can't sub.
Unfair and unstoppable lol. Words of an absolute p***y who is tired of his big brother picking on him. What exactly is unsafe about it?
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Oct 23, 2023 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

One issue I see if PHI keeps their base O on the field, and rushes the LOS, because PHI doesn't sub, the D can't sub.

I guess but you could take the players you have out there and do that. At least practice a completely different formation. Counter the leverage for a massive pile up coming from the other side. Who knows maybe it will work. But they at least have to try some different things. It's ridiculous to do the same thing over and over and fail terribly.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Unfair and unstoppable lol. Words of an absolute p***y who is tired of his big brother picking on him. What exactly is unsafe about it?

They outlawed leverage plays like this on kickoffs. Like the wedge. Too dangerous and too much competitive advantage too. It's been done before.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
In this day and age everyone wants to ban everything.

I guess but you could take the players you have out there and do that. At least practice a completely different formation. Counter the leverage for a massive pile up coming from the other side. Who knows maybe it will work. But they at least have to try some different things. It's ridiculous to do the same thing over and over and fail terribly.

I watched Jerome Baker get knocked like he was Zeke Elliott, he lined up on the LOS and got put on his backside. You should allow the D to sub, and put their goal line in. You can't burn TOs every time PHI wants to run that play,

I watched Jerome Baker get knocked like he was Zeke Elliott, he lined up on the LOS and got put on his backside. You should allow the D to sub, and put their goal line in. You can't burn TOs every time PHI wants to run that play,

If the defense could substitute it would help. But I think the formation needs to be different. More leverage coming right up the middle between both Guards and the Center. Because there is no secret where that play is going. It's right up the middle and they are daring you to stop it. It's not going outside. So put more counter leverage there. A traditional alignment won't stop it IMO.
Originally posted by thl408:
I got an idea - coach up a failed 500 pound sumo wrestler to be a specialized tush push counter.

Where's Gilbert Brown?
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by thl408:
I got an idea - coach up a failed 500 pound sumo wrestler to be a specialized tush push counter.

Where's Gilbert Brown?

taking photos next to pieces of s**t

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Damn, lol. He looks good.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Damn, lol. He looks good.

Yeah he looks like he lost like 200lbs from when he played
I's going to take someone seriously getting injured multiple times for the league to ban it. I just hate how every rule they come up with benefits the offense only. When are they going to come up with a rule that helps the defense?
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I's going to take someone seriously getting injured multiple times for the league to ban it. I just hate how every rule they come up with benefits the offense only. When are they going to come up with a rule that helps the defense?

It's tackle football, injury happens, I view this as a 'safe' play, by football standards, probably less risk on this play, than on a typical play
Share 49ersWebzone