There are 303 users in the forums

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I's going to take someone seriously getting injured multiple times for the league to ban it. I just hate how every rule they come up with benefits the offense only. When are they going to come up with a rule that helps the defense?

It's tackle football, injury happens, I view this as a 'safe' play, by football standards, probably less risk on this play, than on a typical play

Then why ban it for field goal block if it's safer than normal.
I would of loved to see "the tush push" against a D line with Sam Adams, the goose, Wilfork, or Ngata. With Polamalu flying over the top at the snap lol.

They said last night that philly was successful on 8 of 11 attempts this season but Ive never seen them not pick it up.
the nfl has in it against the 49ers, and it has shown repeteadly in crucial games

everytime we get to the SB or nfccg we have some really absurd calls against us, like the jimmy smith holding, lamichael fumble, devonta smith non catch, bowman fumble call, etc
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
the nfl has in it against the 49ers, and it has shown repeteadly in crucial games

everytime we get to the SB or nfccg we have some really absurd calls against us, like the jimmy smith holding, lamichael fumble, devonta smith non catch, bowman fumble call, etc

You can probably find a few calls missed for every team that has lost games in the Super Bowl or playoffs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The NFL is no doubt fixed….you just gotta be on the right side of it.

When you get rules that are made up during the game like the "Tuck rule" or when a player dives at your feet but doesn't touch you ahe you get a flag. That's when you know you're on the right side of the fix. Better yet, when your Left Tackle can hold a player called Nick Bosa for dear life in the Super Bowl and not get flagged thats when you know you're on the right side of the fix.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
I would of loved to see "the tush push" against a D line with Sam Adams, the goose, Wilfork, or Ngata. With Polamalu flying over the top at the snap lol.

They said last night that philly was successful on 8 of 11 attempts this season but Ive never seen them not pick it up.

I thought it was 11 for 11. But still 8 for 11 is astonishing. Allowing a lot of unnatural number of pick ups for them. It's a huge competitive advantage. I can't remember them not getting it. It seems like they always get it. Even 4th and 3. They can get 3 yards for sure on the Tush Push. 3, 2, 1 is almost unstoppable yardage for that play. A huge advantage to the Eagles.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I's going to take someone seriously getting injured multiple times for the league to ban it. I just hate how every rule they come up with benefits the offense only. When are they going to come up with a rule that helps the defense?

It's tackle football, injury happens, I view this as a 'safe' play, by football standards, probably less risk on this play, than on a typical play

I heard they were considering banning something called a hip drop tackle? I'm not sure what it is but it sounds like something the officials would be reviewing a lot. We don't need more stoppages.
outlaw it. Said this in another thread….

Hate the play. Doesn't seem like a skill play and will be ugly football if every team figures out how to run it and we see it 50 times a week in the league.

My question is if it is legal to go for the offensive linemen's legs on this play. I'd line up 2 men center to go low to prevent traction and crash with linebackers and one big dt over the top. My plan would be to hurt the qb… just make them feel the collision. Pretty much what they did with kap when the pistol and wild cat were going so well and the league said you could hit him even after the handoff bc they determined he was a runner in the wildcat or some bs Seattle always got away with crushing him late.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I heard they were considering banning something called a hip drop tackle? I'm not sure what it is but it sounds like something the officials would be reviewing a lot. We don't need more stoppages.

If you remember the tackle that injured Tony Pollard in the Niners - Cowboys playoff game last season… that was a perfect example.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
The NFL is no doubt fixed….you just gotta be on the right side of it.

When you get rules that are made up during the game like the "Tuck rule" or when a player dives at your feet but doesn't touch you ahe you get a flag. That's when you know you're on the right side of the fix. Better yet, when your Left Tackle can hold a player called Nick Bosa for dear life in the Super Bowl and not get flagged thats when you know you're on the right side of the fix.

It isn't fixed. It's hard to officiate these games at field level in real time, and unfortunately incompetence is seemingly barely held accountable.
Injure Hurts in one of those tush push and the league will try to ban it. Something like what happened to Carson Wentz against the Rams in their SuperBowl year.
Originally posted by gored49:

Hate the play. Doesn't seem like a skill play and will be ugly football if every team figures out how to run it and we see it 50 times a week in the league.

My question is if it is legal to go for the offensive linemen's legs on this play. I'd line up 2 men center to go low to prevent traction and crash with linebackers and one big dt over the top. My plan would be to hurt the qb… just make them feel the collision. Pretty much what they did with kap when the pistol and wild cat were going so well and the league said you could hit him even after the handoff bc they determined he was a runner in the wildcat or some bs Seattle always got away with crushing him late.

I'd just send all the big bodies over the QB. When these QB begin getting hurt, the play will be banned for good.

It is a skill play, there is little to figure out, it's brute force
not every QB squats 600 lbs, and PHI has a good OL
they are uniquely positioned to run this effectively, good on them, when you have a matchup advantage like a T Hill or Randy Moss in the day, use em
it's like how we use CMC, not all backs can do what he does, and we exploit the heck out of it, why have great players, if not to use em or come up with plays they are great at

It is a skill play, there is little to figure out, it's brute force
not every QB squats 600 lbs, and PHI has a good OL
they are uniquely positioned to run this effectively, good on them, when you have a matchup advantage like a T Hill or Randy Moss in the day, use em
it's like how we use CMC, not all backs can do what he does, and we exploit the heck out of it, why have great players, if not to use em or come up with plays they are great at

I would counter by saying if this is legal the Niners should be allowed to block any passes downfield because they have fast moving, zone blocking linemen and they would be really good at it and show their skill. Instead, nfl didn't like those types of plays and made a rule about linemen up field. Or how about letting teams that are really good at basketball run pick plays? If you have a guy really good at tug of war why can't he pull a runner to get extra yards? All those are skills or strength in my mind. The nfl deemed them unfair or made the game worse. I say this play is like that and makes the game worse.
[ Edited by gored49 on Oct 23, 2023 at 2:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone