There are 254 users in the forums

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Outlaw the Tush Push in the NFL?

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
It is a skill play, there is little to figure out, it's brute force
not every QB squats 600 lbs, and PHI has a good OL
they are uniquely positioned to run this effectively, good on them, when you have a matchup advantage like a T Hill or Randy Moss in the day, use em
it's like how we use CMC, not all backs can do what he does, and we exploit the heck out of it, why have great players, if not to use em or come up with plays they are great at

Brute force plus the two guys behind the QB helping push the pile.
QB sneak shouldn't be outlawed. But the act of two players lining up AND pushing the QB should.
Originally posted by ScoutingBall:
QB sneak shouldn't be outlawed. But the act of two players lining up AND pushing the QB should.

never thought I would see a day when the league is cowering over the idea of another team shoving their star QBs butt a yard downfield
too OP, shut it down!
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Oct 23, 2023 at 2:41 PM ]
never thought I would see a day when the league is cowering over the idea of another team shoving their star QBs butt a yard downfield
too OP, shut it down!

It is pretty bad, IMO. I will give some credence to the arguments about similar type action being against the rules in other situations though.

It'd be nice to have the talent to effectively make it 8-9 yards to get a first consistently.
Originally posted by gored49:
outlaw it. Said this in another thread….

Hate the play. Doesn't seem like a skill play and will be ugly football if every team figures out how to run it and we see it 50 times a week in the league.

My question is if it is legal to go for the offensive linemen's legs on this play. I'd line up 2 men center to go low to prevent traction and crash with linebackers and one big dt over the top. My plan would be to hurt the qb… just make them feel the collision. Pretty much what they did with kap when the pistol and wild cat were going so well and the league said you could hit him even after the handoff bc they determined he was a runner in the wildcat or some bs Seattle always got away with crushing him late.

It is a skill play, there is little to figure out, it's brute force
not every QB squats 600 lbs, and PHI has a good OL
they are uniquely positioned to run this effectively, good on them, when you have a matchup advantage like a T Hill or Randy Moss in the day, use em
it's like how we use CMC, not all backs can do what he does, and we exploit the heck out of it, why have great players, if not to use em or come up with plays they are great at

It's not always brute force.

At least twice yesterday he was up in the air.

Match up has nothing to do with that.
All this clamoring about Hurts and not every QB squatting 600 pounds is just false. First of all, he's not "squatting" 600 lbs. He maxed out, with one rep, at 600 lbs. He's not doing sets at 600 lbs. Second of all, I would venture to guess at least half of the QB's in today's NFL could do one rep at 600 lbs. Everyone out there acting like Hurts is some Greek God is totally hilarious.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
All this clamoring about Hurts and not every QB squatting 600 pounds is just false. First of all, he's not "squatting" 600 lbs. He maxed out, with one rep, at 600 lbs. He's not doing sets at 600 lbs. Second of all, I would venture to guess at least half of the QB's in today's NFL could do one rep at 600 lbs. Everyone out there acting like Hurts is some Greek God is totally hilarious.

Shoot!!! I feel like I squat 600 pounds when I take a s**t. Sure I'm not lifting any weights but I make the same face!!!

He stands out as a power runner at the QB position. No surprise they are great in short yardage with a player like him and their great OL.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Shoot!!! I feel like I squat 600 pounds when I take a s**t. Sure I'm not lifting any weights but I make the same face!!!

You get a hernia just the same, lol.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

You get a hernia just the same, lol.

No I just need to eat more vegetables.

What was the stat? Second largest nfl qb Sneak in the past couple of years was 10.

Eagles in 1st with 41!? Is that right?
[ Edited by TonyStarks on Oct 24, 2023 at 4:59 PM ]
Absolutely hate this play in the game. If you can't line up & do a natural QB sneak, then it should be outlawed

600 lbs. is a hell of a lot for his size and frame. Even on a max out. I'm surprised his spine can even take it. In fact he may injure a disc doing that. Lots of offensive linemen in the league and body builders can't do that. It's a lot of weight. Try it sometime. Just be in the squat rack so it doesn't crush you. LOL.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Absolutely hate this play in the game. If you can't line up & do a natural QB sneak, then it should be outlawed

Yes I agree completely.
Share 49ersWebzone