George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 171 users in the forums

DE Chase Young signs with the Saints

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by titan:
I know Bosa got his money, but if he has any kind of pride he better pick his game up. Your play resorted to having your boss get another man that plays your position to do the job.

Quite frankly, Bosa is the only one generating pressure. Outside of week one, other guys aren't cleaning up, or when we do get pressure, Wilks is having our corners play 6-10 yards off with enormous cushion making completions way way too easy. We need tighter zones and smaller cushions if we're gonna stop these monster completions from happening all game.
  • JEP83
  • Veteran
Does this trade really move the needle for anyone. Big name but 8-12 game rental.

i guess we could argue the d line just isn't getting home enough so if we can start then maybe the cb's won't have to cover as long?

still a long season. I'm more worried about the d already being tired. Too early in the season for a complete meltdown bc you're tired. Everyone else is playing too.
Well now they just have to put Young in a headlock hold too. Ref ain't calling it.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
How is he against the run?
Originally posted by JEP83:
Does this trade really move the needle for anyone. Big name but 8-12 game rental.

i guess we could argue the d line just isn't getting home enough so if we can start then maybe the cb's won't have to cover as long?

still a long season. I'm more worried about the d already being tired. Too early in the season for a complete meltdown bc you're tired. Everyone else is playing too.

CBs are getting beat almost immediately. The DL has been getting pressure but there's so many holes in the secondary that it doesn't matter.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

CBs are getting beat almost immediately. The DL has been getting pressure but there's so many holes in the secondary that it doesn't matter.

Does that have to do with the type of defensive system compared to what we ran last year?
I am very happy to welcome chase to the niners! Will it move the needle, yes it will. The will feed of each other. It's a lot to handle for the o line. How much needle movement??? Depends on dips**t DC ability to fix what he broke.. tighter coverage buys the line the 1.5 seconds they need to bury the qb or disrupt the play. Will be fun to watch.
Damn in those highlights he caused like ten fumbles, this guy is going to eat, also going to free up Bosa more.

Watch out folks

P.s. Steve Wilkes stop blitzing we can get pressure with four.😠💩😠💩😠💩
great move to allow for depth. In the past our DL rotation was ferocious and kept the line fresh. the loss of guys like willis, omenihu, ebukam, key, etc, really hurt this line. Gregory and Young will get us back there, and perhaps Drake will be better with fewer reps

Originally posted by JMC52:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by titan:
I know Bosa got his money, but if he has any kind of pride he better pick his game up. Your play resorted to having your boss get another man that plays your position to do the job.

what? wrong take

Love the Bosa got paid and is no longer interested narrative. Bosa family bleeds football.

If anything the problem was sitting out.
Originally posted by pd24:

Does that have to do with the type of defensive system compared to what we ran last year?

I have the question but I have trouble believing we have the worst dbs in the league. Can anyone name the ravens, rams or cardinals dbs? They all fared better against burrow and I'm sure our dbs in general most games. I say it is scheme and however wilks has coached our dbs to play. Why are they only ever looking at the qb or the incoming pass when they are playing soft coverage 10 yards off?

Funny. Grant Cohn made this argument some time last year before the draft. You've become Cohn. Inb4timeout

I think it absolutely moves the needle. Young should take over right away as the starter, and bring speed off that edge every play. And I think "worst case scenario" it's an 8-12 game rental. But even if that's all it is, we basically gave up nothing for it. Paying less than $600k for him this season, giving up a 3rd round pick next year - and we should get a 3rd round comp pick the following year, if he walks. Best case scenario, he balls out and we do everything we can to keep him long term. We've all ben wanting someone great on the other side of Bosa, this very well could be it - and potentially the BEST duo in the NFL. I think too, we've seen some issues with our run defense - and some of that may have to do with Armstead and Hargrave both being similar players. To keep Young around long term, I'd be willing to look to trade Armstead next season, and replace him with a cheaper big-bodied run stuffer. Potentially even Kinlaw, if he continues to develop and improve.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

I think it absolutely moves the needle. Young should take over right away as the starter, and bring speed off that edge every play. And I think "worst case scenario" it's an 8-12 game rental. But even if that's all it is, we basically gave up nothing for it. Paying less than $600k for him this season, giving up a 3rd round pick next year - and we should get a 3rd round comp pick the following year, if he walks. Best case scenario, he balls out and we do everything we can to keep him long term. We've all ben wanting someone great on the other side of Bosa, this very well could be it - and potentially the BEST duo in the NFL. I think too, we've seen some issues with our run defense - and some of that may have to do with Armstead and Hargrave both being similar players. To keep Young around long term, I'd be willing to look to trade Armstead next season, and replace him with a cheaper big-bodied run stuffer. Potentially even Kinlaw, if he continues to develop and improve.

Didn't Armstead restructure? I feel like that'd leave a bigger penalty if we traded him. Perhaps it would still be a gain.
Share 49ersWebzone