LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 290 users in the forums

DE Chase Young signs with the Saints

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think it moves the needle big time in the 3rd and 4th quarter when the opposing o-line is tired AF.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by titan:
I know Bosa got his money, but if he has any kind of pride he better pick his game up. Your play resorted to having your boss get another man that plays your position to do the job.

You mean Drake Jackson…you do realize they have more than one EDGE that can play at the same time?

When did they pay Jackson to be the highest paid defensive player. I like Bosa as the next best fan, but he isn't doing the Bosa stuff.
Nickle corner problem is weakest link in the defense. Oliver is ok, but they attack the slot corner, they can beat the pass rush with a quick throw.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'm shocked. Not sure how he will fit in long term but at the very least he's a rental. If he is a rental and we lose him to free agency, would we get a comp pick?

Extend,tag or trade for a 3rd comp pick are the options.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I know Bosa got his money, but if he has any kind of pride he better pick his game up. Your play resorted to having your boss get another man that plays your position to do the job.

You mean Drake Jackson…you do realize they have more than one EDGE that can play at the same time?

When did they pay Jackson to be the highest paid defensive player. I like Bosa as the next best fan, but he isn't doing the Bosa stuff.

Bosa is doing fine. He is in the top of the league in pressures just isn't getting the sacks. He's the only one applying consistent pressure despite getting chipped almost every play.

Maybe with Young on the other side teams won't be able to chip both so we should start getting more sacks. Where is Hargrave and Armstead? Armstead finallly showed up last week but he's been silent too.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by JEP83:
Does this trade really move the needle for anyone. Big name but 8-12 game rental.

i guess we could argue the d line just isn't getting home enough so if we can start then maybe the cb's won't have to cover as long?

still a long season. I'm more worried about the d already being tired. Too early in the season for a complete meltdown bc you're tired. Everyone else is playing too.

I think it absolutely moves the needle. Young should take over right away as the starter, and bring speed off that edge every play. And I think "worst case scenario" it's an 8-12 game rental. But even if that's all it is, we basically gave up nothing for it. Paying less than $600k for him this season, giving up a 3rd round pick next year - and we should get a 3rd round comp pick the following year, if he walks. Best case scenario, he balls out and we do everything we can to keep him long term. We've all ben wanting someone great on the other side of Bosa, this very well could be it - and potentially the BEST duo in the NFL. I think too, we've seen some issues with our run defense - and some of that may have to do with Armstead and Hargrave both being similar players. To keep Young around long term, I'd be willing to look to trade Armstead next season, and replace him with a cheaper big-bodied run stuffer. Potentially even Kinlaw, if he continues to develop and improve.

Didn't Armstead restructure? I feel like that'd leave a bigger penalty if we traded him. Perhaps it would still be a gain.

Good point, I had forgotten about the restructure. I'd have to take a closer lok at the new deal to see, but don't count out Paraag leaving some ways out. Either way, if Young ends up being the bookend we've been hoping for - I have faith we'd find a way to keep him. Getting a former #2 overall pick for a 3rd round comp, would just be too good not to find a way to keep.
Good point, I had forgotten about the restructure. I'd have to take a closer lok at the new deal to see, but don't count out Paraag leaving some ways out. Either way, if Young ends up being the bookend we've been hoping for - I have faith we'd find a way to keep him. Getting a former #2 overall pick for a 3rd round comp, would just be too good not to find a way to keep.

How about Aiyuk's money?
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Dear God we literally got him for nothing

makes u wonder why washington got rid of him for nothing

they may know something we all dont

It was their best offer or they would not have taken it. They know it's full rebuild mode time and Rivera will be gone at the end of the year and owner's will pick new blood to start fresh.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Dear God we literally got him for nothing

makes u wonder why washington got rid of him for nothing

they may know something we all dont

New ownership wants a fresh start.

fresh start by getting rid of "great players"....hmmm im skeptical
He has more than double the sacks of our top 3 sack leaders who are tied @ 3 each. That includes the super high priced Bosa @ 3 and Young at 7.5 sacks for under 600K.

Be skeptical all you like but that's a no brainer 6 days a week and 2x on Sunday's.
Originally posted by NC49er:
He has more than double the sacks of our top 3 sack leaders who are tied @ 3 each. That includes the super high priced Bosa @ 3 and Young at 7.5 sacks for under 600K.

Be skeptical all you like but that's a no brainer 6 days a week and 2x on Sunday's.

Young has five sacks FYI.

There's been a lot of talk about his shortcomings in Washington... beyond his injury problems. That's been a bad organization and the hope is you get more of a buy in and effort with a great team. His talent is exceptional.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

How about Aiyuk's money?

I'm not sure how you mean that. I think the cap space we have now and rolling over, will be more than enough to take care of an Aiyuk extension. If you are asking what I think about using that money for Young instead of Aiyuk - that's way too tough to call right now, without even seeing Young on the field with us yet.
This means that Oliver si going to be our NCB the entire season.

There's no way we can win the ring with Oliver there.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
This means that Oliver si going to be our NCB the entire season.

There's no way we can win the ring with Oliver there.

No. Womack should be coming off IR in the next few weeks.
I'm not sure how you mean that. I think the cap space we have now and rolling over, will be more than enough to take care of an Aiyuk extension. If you are asking what I think about using that money for Young instead of Aiyuk - that's way too tough to call right now, without even seeing Young on the field with us yet.

I was talking about using Aiyuk's money on Young provided his play matches his talent.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I was talking about using Aiyuk's money on Young provided his play matches his talent.
Big "IF". Young has a chance to flash here with our D and Kocurek, but he's been a disappointment so far in the league. Aiyuk has been pretty steady. I still expect Young to be worth what we paid. 49ers are better than they were yesterday
Share 49ersWebzone