LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 149 users in the forums

DE Chase Young signs with the Saints

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BP13:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I'm not sure how you mean that. I think the cap space we have now and rolling over, will be more than enough to take care of an Aiyuk extension. If you are asking what I think about using that money for Young instead of Aiyuk - that's way too tough to call right now, without even seeing Young on the field with us yet.

I was talking about using Aiyuk's money on Young provided his play matches his talent.
Big "IF". Young has a chance to flash here with our D and Kocurek, but he's been a disappointment so far in the league. Aiyuk has been pretty steady. I still expect Young to be worth what we paid. 49ers are better than they were yesterday

I wonder if WILKES would consider the SPEED FOUR??

YOUNG - HARGRAVES - BOSA - GREG
No. Womack should be coming off IR in the next few weeks.

Womack was benched last year
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I'm not sure how you mean that. I think the cap space we have now and rolling over, will be more than enough to take care of an Aiyuk extension. If you are asking what I think about using that money for Young instead of Aiyuk - that's way too tough to call right now, without even seeing Young on the field with us yet.

I was talking about using Aiyuk's money on Young provided his play matches his talent.

Yeah I was afraid you meant that. :) It's really tough. Aiyuk is having his best season, for sure. Young is stilll improving and recovering from the ACL. IF Young puts it all together here and balls out, I think "Top DE" outweighs "Very good WR". But deciding between those two would not be my first choice, especially considering we could lose Jennings as well.
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Dear God we literally got him for nothing

makes u wonder why washington got rid of him for nothing

they may know something we all dont

It was their best offer or they would not have taken it. They know it's full rebuild mode time and Rivera will be gone at the end of the year and owner's will pick new blood to start fresh.

Ron Rivera would be good DC next year if they let him go.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:

Welcome to this year. Womack made plays last year, every time he saw the field. He just needed to be more consistant, and like most rookies - get into an NFL strength and conditioning program. The question now isn't about last year, it's is Womack better than 100% catch rate Oliver right now?
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Dear God we literally got him for nothing

makes u wonder why washington got rid of him for nothing

they may know something we all dont

It was their best offer or they would not have taken it. They know it's full rebuild mode time and Rivera will be gone at the end of the year and owner's will pick new blood to start fresh.

Ron Rivera would be good DC next year if they let him go.

I'm all for that.. Rivera a good DC.. he's got that 46 in him..
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'm all for that.. Rivera a good DC.. he's got that 46 in him..

Originally posted by pd24:
How is he against the run?

Pff doesn't grade him well at all, but the more I think about this The more I don't think it was a pickup to stop the run.

I think we picked him up to make our team markedly better thinking we're going to figure it out with our DC eventually and be the defense we're supposed to be.

Fingers crossed.
What did I miss?
The ultimate blue balls. You got Bosa and Young opposite of each other, but have Wilks as the DC.

I just finished watching the replay of the Philly/Was game from Sunday. I followed Young on every play. My take is that Kocurek and Bosa are going to have to light a fire under this guy if he is to be who we want him to be.

First of all, I agree with an interview with Mike Lombardi in which he said Young does not use speed to power very well. That was evident in this game. It looked like if he couldn't run around the blocker he just gave up. Never once did I see him put his head in the chest of the blocker and try to move him back. There was no urgency at all.

Second, he doesn't use his hands well at all. Maybe I am spoiled by Bosa's constantly moving hands but seldom did I see Young trying to knock away a blocker's hands and push by him as Nick often does.

Now, maybe Young has just given up on the situation in Washington and today was an outlier, IDK. He certainly showed something in the past to make him the #2 overall, but I didn't see it in this game. Let's hope a new environment can bring back some magic.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
The ultimate blue balls. You got Bosa and Young opposite of each other, but have Wilks as the DC.
Originally posted by dj43:
I just finished watching the replay of the Philly/Was game from Sunday. I followed Young on every play. My take is that Kocurek and Bosa are going to have to light a fire under this guy if he is to be who we want him to be.

First of all, I agree with an interview with Mike Lombardi in which he said Young does not use speed to power very well. That was evident in this game. It looked like if he couldn't run around the blocker he just gave up. Never once did I see him put his head in the chest of the blocker and try to move him back. There was no urgency at all.

Second, he doesn't use his hands well at all. Maybe I am spoiled by Bosa's constantly moving hands but seldom did I see Young trying to knock away a blocker's hands and push by him as Nick often does.

Now, maybe Young has just given up on the situation in Washington and today was an outlier, IDK. He certainly showed something in the past to make him the #2 overall, but I didn't see it in this game. Let's hope a new environment can bring back some magic.

Strange, I watched some film on him and I saw excellent swim and rip technique. He strikes me as a "patient" pass rusher, using the blocker's aggression against him and is really good at reading the play as it develops.
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Oct 31, 2023 at 8:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:

Welcome to this year. Womack made plays last year, every time he saw the field. He just needed to be more consistant, and like most rookies - get into an NFL strength and conditioning program. The question now isn't about last year, it's is Womack better than 100% catch rate Oliver right now?

Yeah and we had Jimmie Ward last year too
Originally posted by dj43:

showed it as a rook also, he looked like a complete game wrecker, then the injuries set in
great takeaways here DJ, good share
i haven't seen him much recently but that rook year I thought he was it
Share 49ersWebzone