There are 164 users in the forums

DE Chase Young signs with the Saints

Shop 49ers game tickets
Great addition for a low cost. These guys now need to hold each other accountable and rack up more sacks. At the end of the day that's what will make Wilks job easier.
Originally posted by dj43:
I just finished watching the replay of the Philly/Was game from Sunday. I followed Young on every play. My take is that Kocurek and Bosa are going to have to light a fire under this guy if he is to be who we want him to be.

First of all, I agree with an interview with Mike Lombardi in which he said Young does not use speed to power very well. That was evident in this game. It looked like if he couldn't run around the blocker he just gave up. Never once did I see him put his head in the chest of the blocker and try to move him back. There was no urgency at all.

Second, he doesn't use his hands well at all. Maybe I am spoiled by Bosa's constantly moving hands but seldom did I see Young trying to knock away a blocker's hands and push by him as Nick often does.

Now, maybe Young has just given up on the situation in Washington and today was an outlier, IDK. He certainly showed something in the past to make him the #2 overall, but I didn't see it in this game. Let's hope a new environment can bring back some magic.

I am thinking this
Should the Niners try to extend him now while his value is low? If not, he is probally a rental.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Should the Niners try to extend him now while his value is low? If not, he is probally a rental.

That would be great if they could. Just save some room for an Aiyuk extension too.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I just finished watching the replay of the Philly/Was game from Sunday. I followed Young on every play. My take is that Kocurek and Bosa are going to have to light a fire under this guy if he is to be who we want him to be.

First of all, I agree with an interview with Mike Lombardi in which he said Young does not use speed to power very well. That was evident in this game. It looked like if he couldn't run around the blocker he just gave up. Never once did I see him put his head in the chest of the blocker and try to move him back. There was no urgency at all.

Second, he doesn't use his hands well at all. Maybe I am spoiled by Bosa's constantly moving hands but seldom did I see Young trying to knock away a blocker's hands and push by him as Nick often does.

Now, maybe Young has just given up on the situation in Washington and today was an outlier, IDK. He certainly showed something in the past to make him the #2 overall, but I didn't see it in this game. Let's hope a new environment can bring back some magic.

Strange, I watched some film on him and I saw excellent swim and rip technique. He strikes me as a "patient" pass rusher, using the blocker's aggression against him and is really good at reading the play as it develops.

He only watched one game. We can pick one game and come away unimpressed with Bosa too

If he would take a beyond cheap ass deal but I'm betting he's going to choose to bet on himself. Even more so now that he's on a better team surrounded with better players. There's always a team that will over pay so my guess is he gets over paid in March and we take the comp pick
Originally posted by mattster03:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mattster03:
Dumb. This is not what we need.

Ok

Defensive backs and Olineman... why are we trying to continue to make splash trades for an already stacked Dline?

Perhaps because:
• the stacked line looks average
• he adds that true edge rusher opposite Bosa, @ the price tag under 600K
• the d back from Chicago was too expensive @ 15-18 mil per year & wants a long term deal, other upgrades at corner were also too expensive in pick capital,$ or both
• Oline, see answer above

John & Kyle's intent is to be competitive and try to win a SB every year instead of the Rams SB then bust philosophy.

Lots of players to be paid next year,and the year after, at some point some star players will have to be traded to restock the shelves because you can't kick the can down the road forever and stay competitive, this isn't Madden.

Btw,the 49ers,Philly and at least 2 other team's were interested in Jaylon but all 4+ agreed they wanted too much for him because he's still sitting in Chicago.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
No. Womack should be coming off IR in the next few weeks.

Womack was benched last year

Welcome to this year. Womack made plays last year, every time he saw the field. He just needed to be more consistant, and like most rookies - get into an NFL strength and conditioning program. The question now isn't about last year, it's is Womack better than 100% catch rate Oliver right now?

Yeah and we had Jimmie Ward last year too

Exactly, no way in hell was Womack going to see the field over Ward. I would definitely prefer Womack playing over Oliver, just doesn't make any sense how they continue to play Oliver when weekly he's getting torched EASILY
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
The ultimate blue balls. You got Bosa and Young opposite of each other, but have Wilks as the DC.

Bluer than balls of the Blue Man Group
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

If he would take a beyond cheap ass deal but I'm betting he's going to choose to bet on himself. Even more so now that he's on a better team surrounded with better players. There's always a team that will over pay so my guess is he gets over paid in March and we take the comp pick

Exactly. Imo, how does chase play and like it here? Maybe they can give him a top deal, but certainly not the highest. Couple that and he knows he's on a competitive team with solid playoff chances for the foreseeable future etc. it appears to me a lot of players don't care about that and want the payday. California taxes may scare him as well.

We need the cap guru's to figure out if they could even pay him. Maybe backload his deal?

Bosa-Hargrave-Armstead-Young

If our defense still sucks then Wilks needs to go ASAP. Period.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

Strange, I watched some film on him and I saw excellent swim and rip technique. He strikes me as a "patient" pass rusher, using the blocker's aggression against him and is really good at reading the play as it develops.

Note my last paragraph: I didn't see it in this game.

Your comment about a "patient" pass rusher is interesting. With opposing teams getting the ball out quickly, can a pass rusher afford to be "patient," as in waiting a half second to make a move to the QB?

Based on this one game, I interpreted his "patience" as a lack of urgency. 50/50 It will be interesting to see if Kocurek sees patience as a virtue in this case.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Exactly. Imo, how does chase play and like it here? Maybe they can give him a top deal, but certainly not the highest. Couple that and he knows he's on a competitive team with solid playoff chances for the foreseeable future etc. it appears to me a lot of players don't care about that and want the payday. California taxes may scare him as well.

We need the cap guru's to figure out if they could even pay him. Maybe backload his deal?

Dude can win the SB and I still bet if a horrendous team like the Giants come calling and over pay he's taking the money. It would make sense since he's young and has a history of injuries so he needs to cash out
can't wait to see how he is in coverage when wilk uses him.
Chase Young may be Charles Haley of this generation.
Share 49ersWebzone