George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 179 users in the forums

DE Chase Young signs with the Saints

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Crazy that he's only 24

It's crazy Washington just traded him away like that. My guess is that they're probably loading up to make a run at one of the top QB's in the draft then go on a shopping spree in free agency.

Why didn't WAS just keep him, then when he leaves via free agency get a comp pick? I think Martin Mayhew just wanted to do Lynch a solid.

Ya I think the Lynch - Mayhew friendship played a huge role

Think so too, I'm sure there were plenty of teams willing to give up a 3rd and I'm sure those teams would probably pick higher too

The team in play has to weigh if he would resign with them in the offseason. A crappy team he would probably be a rental and not sign. And those teams know it so why bother? His destination and a chance of signing most likely needed to be a top ten or so team with the need and with future cap space. That probably eliminates a lot of those next tier teams.

Signing a guy who can walk in a half season is a tricky move not all are willing to try.

Then there is the 9ers. Walk oh well. They are in a very special place in regards to this guy. I bet he is going to want to be here later and that's where the bargaining power can be on equal ground.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Nov 4, 2023 at 5:12 PM ]
I'm curious- is it expected Chase would get a deal similar to Sweat? Is that something we can pull off?
Happy to have him on the team. Let's see how he plays first before any contract talk. I hope he balls out, but the WAS fans don't seem too upset that he's gone, just saying.
[ Edited by BP13 on Nov 4, 2023 at 6:08 PM ]
Crazy that he's only 24

It's crazy Washington just traded him away like that. My guess is that they're probably loading up to make a run at one of the top QB's in the draft then go on a shopping spree in free agency.

Why didn't WAS just keep him, then when he leaves via free agency get a comp pick? I think Martin Mayhew just wanted to do Lynch a solid.

Well it gives them the pick in the next draft, instead of the one after - that they would have gotten if they kept him and he left in FA.
So if he balls out this season. Could we tag him and trade him for a high draft pick?
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Crazy that he's only 24

Well it gives them the pick in the next draft, instead of the one after - that they would have gotten if they kept him and he left in FA.

I read because they didn't trigger his 5th year option they were not entitled to a comp pick for him. So essentially with the trade Washington got that pick now. Obviously for whatever reason they figured he was gone next year so they got what they could. It does sound like they did us a solid. It's good to have friends in the business. I'm sure we will return the favor in the future.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Crazy that he's only 24

I read because they didn't trigger his 5th year option they were not entitled to a comp pick for him. So essentially with the trade Washington got that pick now. Obviously for whatever reason they figured he was gone next year so they got what they could. It does sound like they did us a solid. It's good to have friends in the business. I'm sure we will return the favor in the future.

Oh good point, yeah that would be considered a team option. So yes, they could have lost him in the offseason and gotten nothing for him. I'm not sure that was Mayhew doing us a solid though, it sounds like the Bears had the same option for Young, but chose to go with Sweat instead.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Crazy that he's only 24

Think so too, I'm sure there were plenty of teams willing to give up a 3rd and I'm sure those teams would probably pick higher too

The team in play has to weigh if he would resign with them in the offseason. A crappy team he would probably be a rental and not sign. And those teams know it so why bother? His destination and a chance of signing most likely needed to be a top ten or so team with the need and with future cap space. That probably eliminates a lot of those next tier teams.

Signing a guy who can walk in a half season is a tricky move not all are willing to try.

Then there is the 9ers. Walk oh well. They are in a very special place in regards to this guy. I bet he is going to want to be here later and that's where the bargaining power can be on equal ground.

Didn't stop Montez Sweat signing with Chicago quick, these young guys really don't care if the team sucks or not as long as they get the bag. Even more so Young since he's been held up by injuries so you can expect him to go to the highest bidder
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I'm curious- is it expected Chase would get a deal similar to Sweat? Is that something we can pull off?

If Brock is the guy and he shows he's worth it? Sure.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
So if he balls out this season. Could we tag him and trade him for a high draft pick?

The 49ers can't tag him unless they sign him. Next year will be his option year. This year they get him for around $500K. If he plays well and they want to sign him I expect he'll want somewhere in the $20 million per year range. If he leaves the Niners get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2025. This was a no brainer trade for Lynch.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Nov 5, 2023 at 8:06 AM ]

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

The 49ers can't tag him unless they sign him. Next year will be his option year. This year they get him for around $500K. If he plays well and they want to sign him I expect he'll want somewhere in the $20 million per year range. If he leaves the Niners get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2025. This was a no brainer trade for Lynch.

Chase Young's 5th yr option was turned down, making him a UFA, he can be tagged, Josh Jacobs' option was turned down for 2023, he was tagged.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Chase Young's 5th yr option was turned down, making him a UFA, he can be tagged, Josh Jacobs' option was turned down for 2023, he was tagged.
Thanks AB
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Thanks AB

I checked and they can put the franchise tag on him, However that would be about a $20 million hit against next year's cap. If they sign him to a 3 or 4 yer deal they can spread the money out better.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Crazy that he's only 24

Didn't stop Montez Sweat signing with Chicago quick, these young guys really don't care if the team sucks or not as long as they get the bag. Even more so Young since he's been held up by injuries so you can expect him to go to the highest bidder

I was stunned Sweat did that. Could have possibly gotten more on the open market. Like really, the Bears?
Young and bosa on same team?? Is this real life… we should be the Super Bowl favorites now fo sho
Share 49ersWebzone