LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 198 users in the forums

Countdown to 1st Pre-Season game:IT'S GAME DAY!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Only the fans care bout the Nolan thing, Him and the players could careless...

The Broncos players may not care, but the more Alex succeeds, the more Nolan looks like a failure at handling him. I want to see at least two TD's by Alex, and it would be awesome for one of them be a bomb.

Can I ask which part besides the part about handling Smith injury did Nolan mishandle Smith??

Maybe playing him in week 3 his rookie season.

How is that mishandling him though?? Don't all number 1 overall picks tend to play some time in the season?? Besides, rookies all get a free pass during their first year, haven't heard or seen of a #1 overall pick being cut the next year, unless due to a career ending injury.
Originally posted by FL9er:

The Broncos players may not care, but the more Alex succeeds, the more Nolan looks like a failure at handling him. I want to see at least two TD's by Alex, and it would be awesome for one of them be a bomb.

Can I ask which part besides the part about handling Smith injury did Nolan mishandle Smith??

It would help if he could've forseen the possibility that Norv & McCarthy could land HC jobs if they succeeded as the 49ers' OC, which is why I wanted Ken Zampese when Nolan was deciding between him & McCarthy, someone who'd be here for more than 1 season.

I don't think anyone could have forseen the possiblities of Turner and McCarthy becoming HC, especially with our 5-11 and 7-9 records. But none the less you have to always be aware that your assistants will one day become HC's. But how can you place the entire blame of that on Nolan?? And I don't think Zampese's name was brought in until '07 season, when Lewis denied Nolan an interview with him, since it was so late in the off-season.

1.) There were the claims by Alex's father that Alex hadn't had anyone working with him on mechanics since his college days (until Martz)

2.) Making Hostler his OC

3.) Shaming Alex into playing with a grade 3 separation

4.) Throwing Alex under the bus when he played poorly with a grade 3 separation

5.) Shattering Alex's confidence in the process
Originally posted by Kush_Man16:
i hope alex runs out of bounds and runs over nolan all at the same time

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/niners-reporting-dates-set.html

"The 49ers' first exhibition game is scheduled for Aug. 14 at home against the Broncos."

1.) I feel sorry for the Broncos players. All that built-up Nolan hate will be taken out on them.

2.) I want to see Alex carve up Nolan's defense. I don't care if it's against 3rd team scrubs. I would still be loving it.

3.) I want to see Alex carve up Nolan's defense some more.

4.) I hope we annihilate them.

5.) That would be sweet.

All that built up hate is from the fans not the players. And carving up a defense in preseason is really impressive especially seeing as the playcalling on both sides of the ball is extremely watered down.

It would help if he could've forseen the possibility that Norv & McCarthy could land HC jobs if they succeeded as the 49ers' OC, which is why I wanted Ken Zampese when Nolan was deciding between him & McCarthy, someone who'd be here for more than 1 season.

I don't think anyone could have forseen the possiblities of Turner and McCarthy becoming HC, especially with our 5-11 and 7-9 records. But none the less you have to always be aware that your assistants will one day become HC's. But how can you place the entire blame of that on Nolan?? And I don't think Zampese's name was brought in until '07 season, when Lewis denied Nolan an interview with him, since it was so late in the off-season.

1.) There were the claims by Alex's father that Alex hadn't had anyone working with him on mechanics since his college days (until Martz)

Points 3-4 & 5 are all the same point really not 3 separate things and who exactly should we have hired at that point of the offseason (on the brink of the start of FA) to be our OC ? Do you think it would have been wise to go into FA and the weeks leading up to the draft with no OC and to continue our search at that point ?

Are claims always found to be true ? And if they were do you think maybe Tuner and McCarthy felt his mechanics were fine as is ? Do you know more about developing QB's moreso than Alex's first 2 NFL OC's ?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

1) So in the hands of Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler who was his QB coach also, no one care to work on his mechanics. How true do you think this statement is??? And when is it a defensive minded HC's responsibility to know how well his QB's mechanics are coming along??

2) How was Nolan suppose to know the outcome of how Jim Hostler was going to turn out??

3) As far as I know, both agreed that he was able to play, although I do lay some amount of blame on Nolan on this one, but in no way was this entirely his fault.

4) How did Nolan throw Smith under the bus??

5) Confidence is built on play and not by babysitters. When Dick Vermiel told Larry Johnson "its time to take off the diapers", did you see Johnson cry and crawl into the corner?? HeII no, he pulled out a 1,750 yard season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Points 3-4 & 5 are all the same point really not 3 separate things and who exactly should we have hired at that point of the offseason (on the brink of the start of FA) to be our OC ? Do you think it would have been wise to go into FA and the weeks leading up to the draft with no OC and to continue our search at that point ?

Are claims always found to be true ? And if they were do you think maybe Tuner and McCarthy felt his mechanics were fine as is ? Do you know more about developing QB's moreso than Alex's first 2 NFL OC's ?

A different perspective on things, but yet I agree.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A

Wow - really? You're a moderator, looking at the site all day and the only fault you saw in Nolan's handling of Smith is the injury?

1. Starting him as rookie on a horrible team.
2. Not hiring an OC that would stick around for more than 1 year.
3. Not firing the line coach after 2005 and making the 55+ sacks per year go away.
4. Not drafting OL or receivers in early rounds.
5. Generally not standing behind the QB the way most NFL coaches do. At some point that both he and Alex were on the hotseat, and he gladly pointed fingers at the then 22 yo QB.

[ Edited by KasparHauser on Jun 26, 2009 at 13:41:49 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KasparHauser:

Wow - really? You're a moderator, looking at the site all day and the only fault you saw in Nolan's handling of Smith is the injury?

3. Not firing the line coach after 2005 and making the 55+ sacks per year go away.
5. Generally not standing behind the QB the way most NFL coaches do. At some point that both he and Alex were on the hotseat, and he gladly pointed fingers at the then 22 yo QB.

1. David Carr, Peyton Manning, Tim Couch, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Aikman and so on, started on worst teams or started period, why shouldn't Smith ??

2. So how did you know every OC in years past would split??

3. I think 3, and 4 go together, for one, Warhop was given a chance due to the talent on the OL. Two, we did draft Adam Snyder, David Baas on the first day on of the draft, sure it was two different years, but its not like the coach wasn't paying attention to the OL, they also brought in Larry Allen, and we did have Jeremy Newberry in '05.

5. They both were in such a feud in 2007, but it was mended before the start of 2008 season, never heard anything after that. Don't all coaches and players go through some type of feud, if not where have you been lately. See my example of Vermiel and Johnson up above.

Sorry if I'm not in the majority who think it was ALL Nolan's fault. Am I glad Nolan is gone, sure, but the way he handled Smith is a bit over exaggerated.

1. David Carr, Peyton Manning, Tim Couch, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Aikman and so on, started on worst teams or started period, why shouldn't Smith ??
I think you just answered your own question there -- only Manning was ready to start at that point. Aikman survived and became a good QB in spite of starting too early, and the others, esp Couch and Carr, ruined their careers by starting too early.

Cool story Hansel.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wwrivers:

I think you just answered your own question there -- only Manning was ready to start at that point. Aikman survived and became a good QB in spite of starting too early, and the others, esp Couch and Carr, ruined their careers by starting too early.

But that's the thing, how do you know or not know who is ready to start as a rookie?? Playing him is the only way of finding out, after all if he was able to be the #2 QB going into the season, you would think he is able. But what about Drew Bledsoe, his team in '92 was coming off a 2-14 season, and was thrown into the fire in '93, 2,400 yards passing 15 TD's 15 INT's??

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Wow so just cause someone agrees with you, then my post gets no consideration?? Is it really hard around here to look at possibilities than just exaggerate the situation??

Sure you can ask...The biggest mistake was throwing him to the wolves on the s**tty team we had at the time.Rattay should have been taking the beating until Smith had a year or two to get used to the pro style,and we had a couple of drafts to shore up the offensive line and get some weapons to help a young QB succeed.Any kid coming from that kind of offense is not pro ready,it is just too big of an adjustment from that Urban Meyer offense.The OC thing was out of Nolans hands really so that is just the way of the game.Nolan was just not ready for the job he was given,that became obvious as time passed,if Smith ever succeeds in the NFL it will be more in spite of Nolan than because of him.
Share 49ersWebzone