LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Vernon Davis not a top 10 TE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
not even top 20 IMO. Unless you wanna judge him by his blocking ability.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
If Vernon didn't pound his chest everytime he gained 3 yards, maybe he would be ranked a little higher. That and getting the ball stripped on a couple of occasions because he thinks he can take on a whole defense instead of going down and actually retaining possession.

Thank you!! Couldnt have said it better myself!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
If Vernon didn't pound his chest everytime he gained 3 yards, maybe he would be ranked a little higher. That and getting the ball stripped on a couple of occasions because he thinks he can take on a whole defense instead of going down and actually retaining possession.

Im sure they are working on these characteristics this offseason, the goal is to move the chains, and not change possession. Ya gotta admit the dude has some fight in em tho!!!!!
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankie:

Im sure they are working on these characteristics this offseason, the goal is to move the chains, and not change possession. Ya gotta admit the dude has some fight in em tho!!!!!

I think Singletary broke his selfish streak last season. At least a majority of it.
Originally posted by DANADA:
he will be top 3 by the end of the year

for reals this time?

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
He really should have made it on his blocking alone

• WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
v can do it.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
No he shouldn't have. He has a ton of talent and plays with pretty good heart, but he isn't there yet. Hopefully this year.
Originally posted by carl:

I think Singletary broke his selfish streak last season. At least a majority of it.

Im thinking the same thing also, that and the fact sings pants dropped was prob pretty awkward, so davix prob aint trying to see that s**t again lol
VD has all the talent in the world...needs to not fumble anymore...and really needs to stop dropping passes...maybe pascoe will show him how it's done

Originally posted by carl:

I believe you are correct, but it remains to be seen. He needs to use his brain a little more, and he should be easily top ten.
This is a make it or break it year for Vernon Davis. He has a few positives working for him this year though. They added Crabtree which will help open up some passing lanes. Jimmy Raye is a Tight End friendly OC who coached Tony Gonzales when he produced over 2000 yards in two seasons.

We all know that Davis is a great blocker and he an amazing combo of speed and strength.What he needs to do is stop p***y footing when he's in the open field. If he'd just run straight ahead full force it would be more beneficial for him and the team. He can outrun some DBs and if he doesn't outrun them he'll run through them.
Vernon Davis is now 25 years old, and now in his 4th season.
Vernon Davis the last 3 years NOT being in the top 10 is under standable, immature, differnet OCs and well umm Mike Martz not liking Tight ends.
Vernon Davis will get 55+ catches this year and be a top Tight end at seasons end and a force for the next 10 years or so

P.S: There is no reason V.Davis shouldnt be good for atleast 4 catches 48 yards game in game out. Im predicting a BREAKOUT season posting 61 catches for 708 yds and 6td PLUS a spot on the pro bowl team
I'll keep it plain and simple ------ after three years he still has an awful lot to prove about his abilities. Yes he can definitely block. Once again we can only hope that he will finally have a that break out season that so many keep predicting year after year.
At this point and time he has only proven to be an effective blocker. With his size and speed he should be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses but he is not. He is not even top 20 as far as the numbers go.
Share 49ersWebzone