LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Crabtree the Cure for Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think that when Crabtree adjusts to the NFL and applies the same talent that tore up those college defenses ------ he will end up helping which ever QB is behind center for our team at the time.

I am looking forward to his YAC and those TD's when he does see the ball come his way.
There is no cure for Alex Smith. He sucks. You can give Alex T.O., Randy Moss, and Larry Fitzgerald, and he would still over or under throw them all, and he would still suck.
[ Edited by bigmike55 on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:09 AM ]
What is going to cure Alex is an OL that doesn’t give up 55 sacks a year (hate to see the numbers on hurried passes), WR who can catch and run routes properly, proper use of our TE instead of an expensive OL, and consistent running game which is about the only thing we have had on offense. Last thing Alex needs to do is stop being a perfectionist and worrying about what people say. He also needs a coach who will jump his a** when he is playing poorly but can see the look in his eyes that he will find away to win and support him kind of like what happened with Hill and the Rams game.
i'm not ripping on alex smith...i think he's an ok qb...i just can't grasp why in the hell anyone would want him to start over shaun hill.....hill has done nothing but win football games...who the hell cares if he's built like peyton manning or not
Crabtree is a rookie that will have a learning curve to overcome. Alex Smith is a veteran, and it is on him, the trainers, & coaches to cure whatever problems he has physically & mentally in playing qaurterback in the NFL.
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
i'm not ripping on alex smith...i think he's an ok qb...i just can't grasp why in the hell anyone would want him to start over shaun hill.....hill has done nothing but win football games...who the hell cares if he's built like peyton manning or not

Because Hill isn't the long-term answer.

And if Alex matures into the QB he should be able to be, then Smitty could be that long-term answer.
why is hill not the long term answer???
Sounds about right to me. Well I think Morgan and Crabtree, mainly Morgan, he could make both QBs look like they can play in the NFL. I dont know how much better they can make Hill because of his weak arm but it will be nice to see how well either QB plays this year. I have a funny feeling Alex could be here a long time, even as a quality backup. Has anyone projected Hills #'s for a full season? Depending on how well and style of our O, Hill or Smith will be fun to watch with Crabtree and Morgan.

Age-ism. Some people think because Smith is 4 years younger that automaitcally excludes a 29 year old Shaun Hill as being non-viable for several more seasons as a starter. But a good quarterback can play well into his 30's in the NFL, so I think that it is a false assumption that he could not be a long term answer. It all depends on how these two guys play, not their age.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:41 AM ]

because he is not Alex....and he doesn't remind these followers of QBs like Payton, Brady, etc.

they want to be like other teams....have a "franchise" QB....but the NFL does not always work like that.....time will just be passing by as teams wait for a "savior" a young one at that....there have been PLENTY of teams who have drafted a young qb, wanting him to be a savior, over paying for him, sacrificing season for him, and just hoping he will pan out.....where as you have other teams that are just trying to win and get better.....they usually make the playoffs and are always in the thick of things.

I believe Shaun Hill can be our Rich Gannon....at one point, Gannon, with the Raidas was one of the best QBs in the league...everything was clicking for him....he didn't have a strong arm....but he knew where to throw the ball and, more importantly, was a Great team leader.....I remember him dissecting Pittsburgs feared 3-4 defense....when they were perceived to be unstoppable.

Rich Gannon was solid because of Chucky. Chucky left and he was still solid but then ran headlong right into the teeth of Chucky's Defense.

Not saying that Hill can't be good but geez please do not refer to him as our "anything even remotely close" to another team's QB. Personally I wish people would do the same with Smith.

Originally posted by bigmike55:
There is no cure for Alex Smith. He sucks. You can give Alex T.O., Randy Moss, and Larry Fitzgerald, and he would still over or under throw them all, and he would still suck.

No cure? Aeu contraire.

The cure is putting a brick wall OLine in front of him. Protection is and has ALWAYS been key.

So I say NO Crabtree is NOT the cure. Sorry until the Line gets worked out there is NO cure.

It sucks but it's kinda like HIV/AIDS and Herpes. Until the disease responds to the main treatment it's still infectious and still a problem.

We ALL know what the main treatment is. So until that works then everything else is just wishful thinking.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM ]
it seems to me that we go through this season after f*cking season...can't we just stick with the guy that's gets it done??? damn...don't u guys remember when shaun hill ran for the first down with no f*cking helmet right through at least two defenders...come now i've seen smith do some cool stuff...but nothing like that
Give Alex another shot, a real one this time and he is going to prove alot of you wrong. All of the great niner QBs had there struggles, can wait to see Alex finally become one of them.
man calling Alex Smith a great qb is a bold statement
man calling Alex Smith a great qb is a bold statement

No, it's not a bold statement, it's a completely untrue bogus statement. Alex Smith is FAAAAAAAAARRRR from great. He needs to catch up to being at least mediocre, because right now he's below mediocre... He sucks. sorry, but it's the truth. accept it.
Share 49ersWebzone