LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Crabtree the Cure for Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
why is hill not the long term answer???

because he is not Alex....and he doesn't remind these followers of QBs like Payton, Brady, etc.

they want to be like other teams....have a "franchise" QB....but the NFL does not always work like that.....time will just be passing by as teams wait for a "savior" a young one at that....there have been PLENTY of teams who have drafted a young qb, wanting him to be a savior, over paying for him, sacrificing season for him, and just hoping he will pan out.....where as you have other teams that are just trying to win and get better.....they usually make the playoffs and are always in the thick of things.

I believe Shaun Hill can be our Rich Gannon....at one point, Gannon, with the Raidas was one of the best QBs in the league...everything was clicking for him....he didn't have a strong arm....but he knew where to throw the ball and, more importantly, was a Great team leader.....I remember him dissecting Pittsburgs feared 3-4 defense....when they were perceived to be unstoppable.

I also remember him setting the record for interceptions thrown in a Superbowl...so what's your point?

...after resting for a couple of hours and rereading my post....I'll edit it to just this. Besides that on superbowl against a coach who knew every about the QB, Gannon had a great career with the Raiders...he was indeed one of the best QBs during that era....Shaun Hill plays similar to Gannon and seems like he is a team leader.....

if Shaun can play the way Gannon played those years, I would be EXTREMELY ecstatic. That Raider team was very flexible....they were a great running team first but could quickly switch to a 5 wide, no huddle team that made the Steelers look foolish and Rich Gannon had a big part in that.....and when you look at last year....some thought that Hill would struggle with Martz offense....but he also excelled in that type of offense as well.....
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 3, 2009 at 7:37 PM ]
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
no, health should be the cure for alex
Originally posted by dmatt:

Seriously. Why does half of these thread have to be about this guy. He's done nothing to warrant this. A probable bust that people just wanna hang to the thread like possibility of him actually panning out.
Originally posted by jones49:

Seriously. Why does half of these thread have to be about this guy. He's done nothing to warrant this. A probable bust that people just wanna hang to the thread like possibility of him actually panning out.

What season are you basing this assumption on? His rookie year? Or his second year which happens to be the only season that he finished, his third year which he got hurt or his 4th year which he was on IR for the season? So which one is it? Please I would love know.
Originally posted by backontop:

What season are you basing this assumption on? His rookie year? Or his second year which happens to be the only season that he finished, his third year which he got hurt or his 4th year which he was on IR for the season? So which one is it? Please I would love know.

His career/ Injuries or not, A guy like this should be the obvious #1 QB on our team but he's not.

His career/ Injuries or not, A guy like this should be the obvious #1 QB on our team but he's not.

Well the reason for that is because he hasn't had a lot of playing time to evaluate his growth as a QB. But if he is a true #1 QB the competition shouldn't matter because he would come out victorious anyway. Only time can tell the real answer for Smith future. I don't think prejudgemental fans should be the determining factor and I am glad that they are not.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The cure for Alex would be to have the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Buccaneers around him, 3 teams that won it all while having a mediocre or less QB at
the helm.
Originally posted by BobS:
The cure for Alex would be to have the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Buccaneers around him, 3 teams that won it all while having a mediocre or less QB at
the helm.

I understand that the ultimate goal is to win the SB but you are acting like Smith is the only player on the offense
why is hill not the long term answer???

because he is not Alex....and he doesn't remind these followers of QBs like Payton, Brady, etc.

they want to be like other teams....have a "franchise" QB....but the NFL does not always work like that.....time will just be passing by as teams wait for a "savior" a young one at that....there have been PLENTY of teams who have drafted a young qb, wanting him to be a savior, over paying for him, sacrificing season for him, and just hoping he will pan out.....where as you have other teams that are just trying to win and get better.....they usually make the playoffs and are always in the thick of things.

I believe Shaun Hill can be our Rich Gannon....at one point, Gannon, with the Raidas was one of the best QBs in the league...everything was clicking for him....he didn't have a strong arm....but he knew where to throw the ball and, more importantly, was a Great team leader.....I remember him dissecting Pittsburgs feared 3-4 defense....when they were perceived to be unstoppable.

I also remember him setting the record for interceptions thrown in a Superbowl...so what's your point?

...after resting for a couple of hours and rereading my post....I'll edit it to just this. Besides that on superbowl against a coach who knew every about the QB, Gannon had a great career with the Raiders...he was indeed one of the best QBs during that era....Shaun Hill plays similar to Gannon and seems like he is a team leader.....

if Shaun can play the way Gannon played those years, I would be EXTREMELY ecstatic. That Raider team was very flexible....they were a great running team first but could quickly switch to a 5 wide, no huddle team that made the Steelers look foolish and Rich Gannon had a big part in that.....and when you look at last year....some thought that Hill would struggle with Martz offense....but he also excelled in that type of offense as well.....

If he can play like Gannon,I will be pleasantly surprised and totally shocked.I like Hill,but he has nowhere near the talent that Gannon had at his peak performance.I do hope that he plays at least as good as Gannon did before the Superbowl debacle,he was a pretty good qb.I think Hill did well last year IN SPITE of Martz's passe offense,it is dated and any team that can get after the passer will expose it for what it is.Here's to hoping that at least one,if not both of the QB's competing step up their games so we fans can have a winning season for a change.
the helm.

I understand that the ultimate goal is to win the SB but you are acting like Smith is the only player on the offense

But...but it is so much easier to just"Alex Smith sucks"than to actually put the effort into asking oneself why he hasn't succeeded.I mean why would anyone want to think that any of the other 10 guys on offense weren't getting it done either?It is so much easier to blame it on the #1 pick just because his name isn't Rodgers.It is not possible that the team had the #1 pick to spend on Smith because they were the worst team in the NFL...that just makes no sense.So I will stick to blaming one person for the teams failures because I am too lazy/ignorant to realize it is a team sport and that all parts have to execute the play or it becomes impossible for the play to work.

Makes complete sense to me...how bout you guys?

the helm.

But...but it is so much easier to just"Alex Smith sucks"than to actually put the effort into asking oneself why he hasn't succeeded.I mean why would anyone want to think that any of the other 10 guys on offense weren't getting it done either?It is so much easier to blame it on the #1 pick just because his name isn't Rodgers.It is not possible that the team had the #1 pick to spend on Smith because they were the worst team in the NFL...that just makes no sense.So I will stick to blaming one person for the teams failures because I am too lazy/ignorant to realize it is a team sport and that all parts have to execute the play or it becomes impossible for the play to work.

Makes complete sense to me...how bout you guys?

Bingo! I think we can sweep everyone who falls in that category under the rug now.

SF 49ers 2005 Roster

I mean, look at this freakin roster. We had such luminaries as Kwame Harris, Jose Cortez. Our WR depth chart is even more pathetic. Choosing a number one from this group seems comical. And Kevan Barlow started the season, lol. I remember shaking my head when Alex was thrown into his first game against the Colts. He didn't have a chance.

Brandon Lloyd
Arnaz Battle
Johnnie Morton
Rasheed Marshall
Otis Amey
Marcus Maxwell
Jason McAddley

The following year we added Curtis Conway, Brandon Williams, and most importantly, Antonio Bryant.

Compare those WR groups to the current crop:

Isaac Bruce
Josh Morgan
Michael Crabtree
Brandon Jones
Jason Hill
Dominique Zeigler
Arnaz Battle

Look how far down the depth chart Arnaz dropped from being a #1 in 2005. He's the 7th or 6th receiver at best. Speaks volumes about how different things are now.
[ Edited by Psinex on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:50 PM ]
A decent Oline is the cure for Alex.

We still don't have that yet.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
There is now cure for that chump!!!!!!!
DAMN SMITH GROUPIES ALWAYS ON HIS JOCK
GET OVER IT!!!!!

well if it isnt Smith #1 groupy havent seen u in a while.........waiting till your warning level cool's down??

[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on Jul 3, 2009 at 9:30 PM ]
What pisses me off is that Alex supporters will say s**t like, " oh we just want the best QB to be on the field and we wouldn't care if its Hill or Smith as the starter".

Then its the same people who never give credit to Hill for his wins and good play.

They say that hill never beat any good teams. Ok, so did Smith beat any good teams? the answer is no.

Wow, on one hand you complain about people not supporting anyone who wears a 49er uniform( smith), then you completely dismiss Hills 18 tds 9ints compared to Smiths 19 tds and 31 ints.

but but but but Smith played on bad teams and Hill had.......exactly, Hill had a bunch of rooks/2nd year players, and an ancient isaac bruce. and don't forget crazy ass martz and the 7 step drop.

Lets just say that Hill did have an amazing team that he played on... Is that still a good reason to say that smith is a better player?

No, im not saying that Smith can't be good, but as of now he sucks balls, injury or not, cuz when he was healthy, he also sucked balls, too.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
it seems to me that we go through this season after f*cking season...can't we just stick with the guy that's gets it done??? damn...don't u guys remember when shaun hill ran for the first down with no f*cking helmet right through at least two defenders...come now i've seen smith do some cool stuff...but nothing like that

Hip hip hooF'Nray

I want the best guy out on that field. I want them to EARN the spot through perseverance and cpmpetition.

The sentimental garbage is for sissies. Shaun Hill ran with no helmet. Yay.

I swear it seems that more people want what they've seen recently and if you weren't on the field for nearly 2 years you suck and are a bust.

Alex sure has alot of ass kissin to do otherwise noe of you homers will even give him a chance. How freakin sad is that? You all know the reasons he has not worked out up to now. So how but cuttin the kid some slack.

let me reiterate. I do NOT care who starts. So long as they are the BEST guy for the team at the time when they need him to step up. Everything else is just alot of fluff and hooie. It has no substance in this conversation.

~Ceadder

dude it's not just the no helmet thing....his passing was pretty damn good every game that he started...and I reiterate HE WINS FOOTBALL GAMES or did u not watch???...and u called me a homer....LMFAO
Share 49ersWebzone