There are 108 users in the forums

Stats dont lie Vernon Davis is explosive!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
no ones hating, everyones just waiting..

ill tell u this. I support everyone thats a niner, but especially when ur picked in the first rd and paid top money, his ass better perform to that level or else we all got screwed as an organization and as a faithful fan.

Vernon is damn capable, but like i said. I wanna see him atleast with 50rec 515yds with atleast 5tds, and a legit consideration or a PROBOWLER
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Jul 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM ]
I've been saying for awhile that we should concentrate on shorter routes for VD like quick outs, slants, screens etc as it often takes 2 or 3 guys to tackle him in the open field. He does have to get better though at deep passes (concentration) as well as finding the open area in a zone and sitting there.
8.2 is good but i think the less rec. the better chances of that average yac to be high. VD is the new part of our new era. it's almost better now that he's had off-seasons. really now is the time to produce but it's not just him. we all know it. the whole offense was not stable. the drop passes.. that will really determine if he will be used as a receiver or blocker and i'm sure he wants the ball. don't trip! for real though i have faith in our team. i'd still would have him on the squad before any other te out there. niners let's go!!!!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Were are all the stats of all his dropped passes and when he's run the wrong route.

Not sure about over his entire career,but in 07 he was 3rd in dropped passes on the team behind Battle(led in drops)and D-Drop.

Susweel is a Vernon Davis hater, thats what all the haters say.

"He drops passes"

But they never post the true facts about his drops, because it really ins't a problem.

Come on Chief, you know I dont hate any player on our team. Well maybe Issac Bruce if anybody. About VD, the dude has been a big time bust so far. I just call it like I see it. A spade is a spade.

But, but this is his break out year.
Originally posted by fan49:
im sick of all you haters. he is a 9ner #1. back him til hes not. and all his dropped passes, yeah he was cocky..... no leadership from nolan.. after sing punked him he caught everything...... and how bout that catch against arizona where he got dropped by two players hard in what 06. and he still held on. quit hatin haters...... Dont forget he might be the best blocker we have besides staley....... VERNON IS A BEAST!!!!! PERIOD...

let me say this.... when he makes the pro bowl, are you guys gonna justride his cojones, or admit yeah i was hatin?

When he doesn't make the pro bowl, are you guys going to start hatin, or admit yeah I was just riding his cojones?
this is actually a perfect example of how stats do in fact lie
Well i honestly say, just like with a few other players on our team, VD falls into the same category of potential bust. Now i dont mean because he has never produced. But i mean he has yet to turn into the beast of a TE that we drafted him for, and on that basis alone he hasnt really produced. Some like to look up stats and only focus on what he did this year with hill and jto at qb, when at the same token he actually did pretty well and almost identical in less games with smith as qb in 06. Some have claimed him the best blocking TE in the league. But we didnt pay him all that money for him to just sit there and block. In the beginning it was his hands with tons of drops, then it was his route running, etc. I say lets be real and stop with the every year he´s gonna have a break out season.

Now dont get me wrong i watched that long ass draft and was amped when we drafted him because i thought we have another Tony Gonzalez. But we have yet to see that TG style of play. Yes he has made tons of plays for us, but so far the best TE we´ve had in recent years has been Eric Johnson who we let go a few years back. I dont think he has had a EJ type year yet, and EJ didnt have many of the beastly tools that VD supposed has.

So i say for him, his stats say he can make plays, but so many other TE´s in the league with half of his physical talent have produced soo much better. Thats why i feel this year is make or break for VD as well. He is a good TE, but we didnt draft him to be a good TE that can block his ass off. We drafted him so like sing says, he can get the ball, and hit people right in the mouth, and make tons of plays.

Either way, no more excuses, i want to see if he can be that Pro-Bowl tight end that everyone says, and i think he can be, barring he´s free from injury. Other than that, if he just has the same numbers he had since 06, then he got a lot of money from us as well, just as some say other players who were drafted very high have. And he hasn´t given us our money´s worth yet in my opinion.
Were are all the stats of all his dropped passes and when he's run the wrong route.

Not sure about over his entire career,but in 07 he was 3rd in dropped passes on the team behind Battle(led in drops)and D-Drop.

"He drops passes"

But they never post the true facts about his drops, because it really ins't a problem.

Come on Chief, you know I dont hate any player on our team. Well maybe Issac Bruce if anybody. About VD, the dude has been a big time bust so far. I just call it like I see it. A spade is a spade.

In this day and age, you've got to be a real dick to be talking about a black man and say "a spade is a spade." Man, wise up!
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
If Vernon is explosive this year, great. I would settle for steady--just eat up first downs and create heart palpitations or excruciating despair in the opposing defense every two or three plays or so.
Originally posted by krizay:
Where's the stats that show TE screens is ATLEAST 50% of his catches. So of course he'll have more YAC.

How much YAC does he get on regular catches? His lack of explosiveness/production on regular routes seems to consistantly go unnoticed around here. We'd have to run 7 TE screens a game for him to be anything.

How many tight ends do you see catching TE screens? You don't see this play called multiple times unless the guy can pick up RAC.

BTW He has shown the ability to pick up RAC on regular catches as well. Not on a consisant basis but he has shown the ability numerous times.

There's plenty of complaints about Vernon but what he has done after the catch is not a legit complaint.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 24, 2009 at 09:14:53 ]

Originally posted by BrodieFan:

"He drops passes"

In this day and age, you've got to be a real dick to be talking about a black man and say "a spade is a spade." Man, wise up!

Yeah, brotha i take offense to that s**t. I mean whats the deal with that?
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

"He drops passes"

I'm sure he didn't mean it like that, that phrase has been used for centuries before racial tensions existed in this country, and "spade" has been mostly forgotten as a slur at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_call_a_spade_a_spade

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Jul 24, 2009 at 09:43:22 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Where's the stats that show TE screens is ATLEAST 50% of his catches. So of course he'll have more YAC.

How much YAC does he get on regular catches? His lack of explosiveness/production on regular routes seems to consistantly go unnoticed around here. We'd have to run 7 TE screens a game for him to be anything.

How many tight ends do you see catching TE screens? You don't see this play called multiple times unless the guy can pick up RAC.

BTW He has shown the ability to pick up RAC on regular catches as well. Not on a consisant basis but he has shown the ability numerous times.

There's plenty of complaints about Vernon but what he has done after the catch is not a legit complaint.

In 2007 Hos used him as a normal TE and he gained a whopping 3.1 YAC. As I said with all these TE screens it helps skew the number in his favor.

You're correct you don't see TE's catching alot of TE screens. Which is why their YAC numbers are more legit. Davis' career YAC total is 5.3

Witten 4.1
Gates 4.4
Gonzo 3.9
Clark 5.2
Owen Daniels 5.1
Olsen 4.7
Cooley 5.7
Winslow 3.9
Zach Miller 4.2
Carlson 4.3
Scheffler 4.7

Now imagine if they catch 10 TE screens (or if 1/3 of their catches is TE screens) how much higher would their YAC numbers be?
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

"He drops passes"

I'm sure he didn't mean it like that, that phrase has been used for centuries before racial tensions existed in this country, and "spade" has been mostly forgotten as a slur at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_call_a_spade_a_spade

Seriously man thanks for backing me up. In no way shape or form did I mean anything racial about that at all. Not once did I refer to a specific race or color. I was merely pointing out that a bust is a bust.

Some of you just need to stop looking for s**t to get mad over. It was not meant in that manner. And if you did take that way then you got serious issues.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

In 2007 Hos used him as a normal TE and he gained a whopping 3.1 YAC. As I said with all these TE screens it helps skew the number in his favor.

You're correct you don't see TE's catching alot of TE screens. Which is why their YAC numbers are more legit. Davis' career YAC total is 5.3

Witten 4.1
Gates 4.4
Gonzo 3.9
Clark 5.2
Owen Daniels 5.1
Olsen 4.7
Cooley 5.7
Winslow 3.9
Zach Miller 4.2
Carlson 4.3
Scheffler 4.7

Now imagine if they catch 10 TE screens (or if 1/3 of their catches is TE screens) how much higher would their YAC numbers be?

Some of them would be higher others wouldn't. Not everyone can pull that play off.

For what it's worth Vernon averaged 6.4 yards per play on those screen passes (14 for 89) so when he was used as a regular tight end he still put up good RAC last season.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:54:13 ]
Share 49ersWebzone