Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/put-up-your-dukes/

"San Francisco 49ers -– Quarterback remains the biggest weakness for this team. Shaun Hill is a good custodian of the offense, but the 49ers need a real playmaker at the position to help take some of the pressure off RB Frank Gore. Too bad Eddie DeBartolo isn’t still with the organization because he would have the guts to sign Michael Vick once he is reinstated. The defense will be good, and while the offense will not be spectacular, it should be consistent."

Along with us are the Raiders, Seahawks, and Bengals. oh well...

playoffs baby.

He got 2 outta the 4 teams rite, the Raiders and Bengals don't have a legit shot at the playoffs.

I dunno... I'm not an avid Raider hater like some 49er fans, and I feel they really do have factors that can take you on a run to the playoffs:

1) A weak division. The Chiefs and Broncos are s**t teams with bad defenses and not much better offenses. The Chargers are the Chargers, and I feel they will be the only legitimate threat to the Raiders within the division.
2) An incredible running game. Although their O-Line isn't fantastic, it blocks well enough to give Justin Fargas, Darren McFadden, and Michael Bush time to see holes and run through them. Watching their 3-headed beast of a rushing attack was actually interesting considering how effective it was. Also, toward the end of the season, JaMarcus Russell began to let the pressure slide off his shoulders through the ability of his rushing game. This opened up PA and dump-offs that gave him confidence. Also, the chemistry with Zach Miller increased as he became Russell's #1 target. The whole team improved over the last couple of games.
3) Their defense. While it may not be a top-10 defense, when you can sweep division rivals and put on a challenge for the best team in your division, you always have a chance. They have the speed in the secondary to catch anyone and make up for a mistake in coverage. Asomugha is great, and Chris Johnson showed marked improvement at the end of the year as well. Also, their linebackers in Howard and Morrison cover well and attack the QB.

I believe they will be able to make a run at the AFC West crown. However, the Al Davis curse still lays within the team so who knows?

Woah there is no way in hell they get past the Chargers
, SD could go to the Super Bowl, Oakland is in the 20's in terms of best teams, the other 2 in the division yeah sure they can get past sucky KC and Josh McMoron's team, but the Chargers come on now.

I'm not so sure. Their pass defense finished 31st last year, they lost C Jeremy Newberry, and there are still question marks about Merriman being the same player as he was before the ACL tear. They also lost Igor Olshansky, who although wasn't dominant -- he was solid for their team. They drafted Larry English, who many experts felt was a reach, and the depth at both LB and DL is pretty slim. I DO believe, tho, that barring injury, the Chargers will be a 10-6 to 11-5 team and win the division. LT is also injury prone and is questioned in his decline at running back. Chris Chambers has been relatively uneffective after coming over from the Dolphins.
Now, I don't dispute that they are the elite of that division at ALL, but I'm just making the case that if the Raiders can steal a home game against them and do well in inter-divisional games, there is a CHANCE that they can be a playoff team. The title of the post is "most dangerous" and I feel that they could be if they split the series with San Diego. It just all depends on if their running game can be consistent and effective and if J.Russell can manage the game. And they have a good QB in Jeff Garcia waiting in the helm if they don't. Last time I checked JG has played very solid in the past few years.

Cesaire is a solid guy to replace Igor, Phil found a way to get the passing yards and passing game going every game, and as of now the Chargers and LT own Oakland. LT went for 1000 yds last year and if he's healthy this year he'll be fine. English was taken cuz all he can do is get to the QB so him and the defense was that bad last year cuz they couldn't run their system, Lights Out being back along with English along with Cromartie being healthy will get the defense back to normal, and by the time Garcia if and when comes into the fold the Raiders will be like 2-7, they may be 2nd, but since it's the AFC West it won't matter.

I agree that if they are healthy they will do well, definately. But I feel like they are GREAT on paper and just okay on the field. If Rivers is as good as last year, tho, I feel they will run away with the division. But by week 8 the Raiders will have played 5 of their 6 divisional games and twice against San Diego. By then we will see if this prediction of them being one of the more dangerous teams in 2009/10 that didn't make the playoffs in 2008/9 is true or not. On week 1 we will see SD vs. OAK on ESPN also, so this is their chance to make a point within the division (it's at home, which is a plus for Oakland). Let the fun begin!

PS You're hyping Larry English as if he has played and dominated at DE in the NFL yet hasn't played a snap. I will wait in my judgement on him until he plays and plays well. He could be a liability -- you never know. The transition to DE in the NFL is tough

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Jul 26, 2009 at 16:35:03 ]
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A

"San Francisco 49ers -– Quarterback remains the biggest weakness for this team. Shaun Hill is a good custodian of the offense, but the 49ers need a real playmaker at the position to help take some of the pressure off RB Frank Gore. Too bad Eddie DeBartolo isn’t still with the organization because he would have the guts to sign Michael Vick once he is reinstated. The defense will be good, and while the offense will not be spectacular, it should be consistent."

playoffs baby.

Anyone who thinks signing Vick instantly loses credibility in my book.
And including the Seahawks in the same group as the Bengals and the Raiders is just a joke.

playoffs baby.

He got 2 outta the 4 teams rite, the Raiders and Bengals don't have a legit shot at the playoffs.

I dunno... I'm not an avid Raider hater like some 49er fans, and I feel they really do have factors that can take you on a run to the playoffs:

1) A weak division. The Chiefs and Broncos are s**t teams with bad defenses and not much better offenses. The Chargers are the Chargers, and I feel they will be the only legitimate threat to the Raiders within the division.
2) An incredible running game. Although their O-Line isn't fantastic, it blocks well enough to give Justin Fargas, Darren McFadden, and Michael Bush time to see holes and run through them. Watching their 3-headed beast of a rushing attack was actually interesting considering how effective it was. Also, toward the end of the season, JaMarcus Russell began to let the pressure slide off his shoulders through the ability of his rushing game. This opened up PA and dump-offs that gave him confidence. Also, the chemistry with Zach Miller increased as he became Russell's #1 target. The whole team improved over the last couple of games.
3) Their defense. While it may not be a top-10 defense, when you can sweep division rivals and put on a challenge for the best team in your division, you always have a chance. They have the speed in the secondary to catch anyone and make up for a mistake in coverage. Asomugha is great, and Chris Johnson showed marked improvement at the end of the year as well. Also, their linebackers in Howard and Morrison cover well and attack the QB.

I believe they will be able to make a run at the AFC West crown. However, the Al Davis curse still lays within the team so who knows?

, SD could go to the Super Bowl, Oakland is in the 20's in terms of best teams, the other 2 in the division yeah sure they can get past sucky KC and Josh McMoron's team, but the Chargers come on now.

I'm not so sure. Their pass defense finished 31st last year, they lost C Jeremy Newberry, and there are still question marks about Merriman being the same player as he was before the ACL tear. They also lost Igor Olshansky, who although wasn't dominant -- he was solid for their team. They drafted Larry English, who many experts felt was a reach, and the depth at both LB and DL is pretty slim. I DO believe, tho, that barring injury, the Chargers will be a 10-6 to 11-5 team and win the division. LT is also injury prone and is questioned in his decline at running back. Chris Chambers has been relatively uneffective after coming over from the Dolphins.
Now, I don't dispute that they are the elite of that division at ALL, but I'm just making the case that if the Raiders can steal a home game against them and do well in inter-divisional games, there is a CHANCE that they can be a playoff team. The title of the post is "most dangerous" and I feel that they could be if they split the series with San Diego. It just all depends on if their running game can be consistent and effective and if J.Russell can manage the game. And they have a good QB in Jeff Garcia waiting in the helm if they don't. Last time I checked JG has played very solid in the past few years.

Cesaire is a solid guy to replace Igor, Phil found a way to get the passing yards and passing game going every game, and as of now the Chargers and LT own Oakland. LT went for 1000 yds last year and if he's healthy this year he'll be fine. English was taken cuz all he can do is get to the QB so him and the defense was that bad last year cuz they couldn't run their system, Lights Out being back along with English along with Cromartie being healthy will get the defense back to normal, and by the time Garcia if and when comes into the fold the Raiders will be like 2-7, they may be 2nd, but since it's the AFC West it won't matter.

I agree that if they are healthy they will do well, definately. But I feel like they are GREAT on paper and just okay on the field. If Rivers is as good as last year, tho, I feel they will run away with the division. But by week 8 the Raiders will have played 5 of their 6 divisional games and twice against San Diego. By then we will see if this prediction of them being one of the more dangerous teams in 2009/10 that didn't make the playoffs in 2008/9 is true or not. On week 1 we will see SD vs. OAK on ESPN also, so this is their chance to make a point within the division (it's at home, which is a plus for Oakland). Let the fun begin!

And do you remember the last time those 2 teams played Week 1 on MNF, 27 points in Oakland and a shut out, the Chargers are even better now then they were then , I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

playoffs baby.

And do you remember the last time those 2 teams played Week 1 on MNF, 27 points in Oakland and a shut out, the Chargers are even better now then they were then , I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

I just don't agree that they are a better team. Maybe the same. But you have to factor in that the Raiders are better also. And Larry English hasn't played a snap, Jamaal Williams is like 33 years old and Merriman is coming off an injury. I just see the Raiders grinding it out against the Chargers. This is just for the sake of argument, I agree 100% that the Chargers are a better team, but I'm just looking at the other side of the argument for the "what if" part of the National Fake-out League. You just never know what can happen on Sundays/Mondays... s**t, and now Thursdays

playoffs baby.

I just don't agree that they are a better team. Maybe the same. But you have to factor in that the Raiders are better also. And Larry English hasn't played a snap, Jamaal Williams is like 33 years old and Merriman is coming off an injury. I just see the Raiders grinding it out against the Chargers. This is just for the sake of argument, I agree 100% that the Chargers are a better team, but I'm just looking at the other side of the argument for the "what if" part of the National Fake-out League. You just never know what can happen on Sundays/Mondays... s**t, and now Thursdays

And Saturdays, the team is better, just not the coaching staff, especially the offense, the running game is still great, the WRs are much better, the secondary is younger and quicker (watch for Cason, maybe to even jump over Jammer this year), J-Will can still play he's not as good, but he's still good, the Raiders are better yes, but they still have a front 7 is too small, but the D is improving and Ellis will help (still pissed off he signed wit em), ok maybe 24-6 San Diego.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Hopefully he's better than his pops. His dad was a penny pinching douche.

It's all about penny pinching! lol

I don't mind penny pinching at the grocery store or at the shopping center, but from what I recall, Debartolo didn't mind spending money signing key players that led us to the promise land.

thats the biggest misconception with York, he has spent yr after yr that he has had the cap room, Nate, Jonas, Lewis, Justin Smith, Ron Stone, Newberry, Beasley, Tony Parrish, Hearst, all got big deals.

the only reason we didnt extend guys like TO and JP, was they wanted ludicrious deals.

So, i dont buy the penny pinching bs excuse anymore, its all pure BS IMO.

I think the penny pinching goes back to those days when he was charging players for minuscule things like I believe long distance phone calls(??) back in the Moochy and TDon days...

playoffs baby.

And Saturdays, the team is better, just not the coaching staff, especially the offense, the running game is still great, the WRs are much better, the secondary is younger and quicker (watch for Cason, maybe to even jump over Jammer this year), J-Will can still play he's not as good, but he's still good, the Raiders are better yes, but they still have a front 7 is too small, but the D is improving and Ellis will help (still pissed off he signed wit em), ok maybe 24-6 San Diego.

just for fun I'll take a 24-20 Raiders shocker
I agree I think that the raiders could be the most dangerous team on that list. They have a weak ass division the cheifs suck the broncos suck the chargers are decent but if Oak can snatch a game against them they have a good chance. Besides I don't see why most niner fans feel we will be in the playoffs or bad ass we have no QB smith and hill don't do it for me, we have a meh oline a meh dline these fools that think we will have a top 10 d I really want a hit of what there smoking. Nate is good but not a shutdown corner lewis I actually don't have any complaints about pwilly is awesome but haralson and lawson there okay nothing great. I just don't believe we are more talented than sattle or arizona to contend with them.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Why on earth would a team with two first rounders next year want to hassle with trying to rehabilitate Michael Vick? Come on.

Because we could use those two first round picks to draft stud defensive players, possibly a stud safety and defense tackle or lineman.

Vick is a playmaker, end of story. Regardless of what you feel about his off field conduct, you have to admit, he will make plays, first downs, and score touchdowns for whatever team that he lands on.

I personally wouldn't mind him. I dont think Singletary would deal with his drama though, I'm sure he would set Vick straight.

Vick will have trouble scratching 50 percent completion percentage on his throws. He is usually one of the most sacked QB's in football. He hasn't played football for 2 years and lead a dog fighting ring for years before being busted. He's 6 feet tall and has trouble finding his recievers over his linemen's heads and is an injury waiting to happen seeing how he hasn't taken a hit in 2 years. I would rather have Alex Smith starting the entire season then sign Vick.

Like I mentioned already, IF Vick were to be a 49er, I wouldn't want him to be our starting QB. I would want him to be utilized as an offensive weapon, wherever on the field that may be. Or even as a return man.

And if you would rather have Alex Smith start the entire season than sign Vick, you must not like Alex Smith very much. I know I don't.

it's a mute point now because McCloughan and Singletary have squashed those rumors.

-9fA
Dukes is a turd and obviously has man love for Vick. Even before his leal problems Vick was an over-hyped QB. Sure he can run but Vick has a career 55% completion rate. The 49ers don't need Vick and all the distractions that would surround him.

Dukes is absolutely wrong thinking that Vick represents an improvement over our current QB situation.

Jamie Dukes is one of the stupidest people sucking oxygen on the planet, so I wouldn't get too excited.

How does this guy have a job? Nobody else is better qualified, more intelligent, more insightful?

Haven't we already filled the quota for loud-mouthed, brash-talking, brain-damaged former NFL players for the next millenia?

If these networks want to raise the bar, they need to find more Robert Smiths (the smartest guy to put on a helmet), and dump the morons/meatheads (E. Smith, Dukes, etc.). Anybody who thinks Michael Vick is ready to play QB in the NFL surely has taken way too many blows to the head.

P.S. Somehow, I can't get that ringing vibration out of my head, when Dukes said that "Michael Vick made...a mistake". Dear Mr. Dukes, a mistake is when you hit a tennis ball over the fence, and it strikes a nun, or Mormon riding a bike; or, when you've had far too much to drink and decide to hit on the hottest babe in the bar...who also has a 6'6", 275 boyfriend. Systematically raising dogs to maul each other for sport, including some of your own pets, stringing up "less performing dogs" and shooting them while laughing, lying to the Commisioner, lying to the American people, lying your team owner about your non-involvement.....WHICH ONE WAS THE "MISTAKE".

Genius, Mr. Dupes.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 26, 2009 at 18:06:36 ]

playoffs baby.

I agree, I think Dukes meant to say most dangerous playoff team in 2009.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Why on earth would a team with two first rounders next year want to hassle with trying to rehabilitate Michael Vick? Come on.

Because we could use those two first round picks to draft stud defensive players, possibly a stud safety and defense tackle or lineman.

Vick is a playmaker, end of story. Regardless of what you feel about his off field conduct, you have to admit, he will make plays, first downs, and score touchdowns for whatever team that he lands on.

I personally wouldn't mind him. I dont think Singletary would deal with his drama though, I'm sure he would set Vick straight.

Vick will have trouble scratching 50 percent completion percentage on his throws. He is usually one of the most sacked QB's in football. He hasn't played football for 2 years and lead a dog fighting ring for years before being busted. He's 6 feet tall and has trouble finding his recievers over his linemen's heads and is an injury waiting to happen seeing how he hasn't taken a hit in 2 years. I would rather have Alex Smith starting the entire season then sign Vick.

Like I mentioned already, IF Vick were to be a 49er, I wouldn't want him to be our starting QB. I would want him to be utilized as an offensive weapon, wherever on the field that may be. Or even as a return man.

And if you would rather have Alex Smith start the entire season than sign Vick, you must not like Alex Smith very much. I know I don't.

If smith were to start there could be a good chance that he does so-so say 18 tds and 18 ints similar to the season he put up in a similar offense only this time with recievers he can trust and a better O-line and we go 9-7 as a wild card then that would give me hope for the forseeable future about what Smith can do.

But you're saying you would want Vick returning kicks more so then Smith QBing the team. Can he even catch and field a return? I've certainly never seen him do that whereas we could stick with Rossum who almost made the probowl as a return specialist last year.
The article lost all validity as soon as I saw the webpage and the Raiders were one of those teams...
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Hopefully he's better than his pops. His dad was a penny pinching douche.

It's all about penny pinching! lol

I don't mind penny pinching at the grocery store or at the shopping center, but from what I recall, Debartolo didn't mind spending money signing key players that led us to the promise land.

kurt warner??? At least we try now. Justin, Nate, Lewis, Walt,Franklin,Marvel, Jonas, Larry Allen, not bad giving us some talent.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jul 26, 2009 at 19:49:54 ]
Share 49ersWebzone