There are 196 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Someone needed to make a graph showing that Bill Walsh is pretty much the god father of the modern game. Being that York doesn't know football I'm sure he doesn't know the fine details of the brilliance that was BW. Basically, BW was many times better at his craft than any of the guys going against him.

Nothing but a s**t show....it's all so depressing.

Bill Walsh was a legend in his field but his Excel and Adobe skills weren't up to par, so they chose to back Marathe.

You guys are killing me!!!

Thanks for therapy....
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I don't get how anyone can still doubt that if Marathe isn't directly responsible for the dysfunction in the front office, that he has a major starring role in it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface031910
This time, a source close to McCloughan said, the general manager "was blindsided" on Wednesday when York called him into a meeting with other high-ranking team officials and told him his services were no longer wanted. There's a suspicion among those in the McCloughan camp – and other sources familiar with the team's front-office politics – that Paraag Marathe, the Niners' vice president of football operations, pushed for the move as an attempt to gain more power. Marathe, a Cal grad who earned his MBA from Stanford, is known for his "Moneyball" style philosophy of player evaluation, favoring empirical analysis over the more intuitive and subjective elements of scouting. He's also close with Jed York and is regarded as the team president's No. 1 confidante in the organization.

Given the high regard for McCloughan around the NFL – "He's highly respected as a [talent evaluator], and known as a good, solid guy," one longtime front-office executive for an AFC team said Friday – and the skepticism surrounding Marathe's perceived lack of football knowledge, this is not regarded as a positive development for the organization.

Yorks are so sleazy. I hate them.

The Yorks seem more stupid than anything else, because it looks like that it's Paraag that's really running the show. Probably the reason the media isn't bringing it any attention is because he's their number one info source.

He's got all his bases covered. So even if ex-management guys like ScottyMac, Giddeon Yu, and Harbs shared their opinions on Paarag with the media, the media is protecting this guy b/c he's an endless source of insider info. Conspiracy!
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So how did Paraag go from doing cap and contracts to screwing with Harbaugh and moneyballing the 49ers in one season? This logic has to be explained.

It hasn't been one season. You aren't following the bouncing ball. Marathe joined the 49ers in 2001 from Bain, which was hired to perform analytics on draft value by Bill Walsh. Marathe came up with a system that apparently impressed 49ers brass and he was hired as a result. He has, since 2001, steadily become more influential within the organization. Both he and the organization acknowledge that he is in charge of the salary cap and contract negotiations, and has been for some time. He apparently prefers metrics when it comes to drafting players - he has said that those metrics apply to how the 49ers evaluate and draft players.

In 2005, when Marathe was 28, he was appointed the assistant to the General Manager. John York publicly affirmed that he relied on Marathe in identifying and hiring Coach Nolan. His ascension within the organization closely paralleled Jed York's (then 23 years old) involvement with the team. Marathe was given authority at the time to hire non-scouts to essentially "scout" players using his statistical model. http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/WHO-IS-PARAAG-MARATHE-Numbers-added-up-to-2703495.php.

And in 2008 - the following article confirmed at least one source within the 49ers organization had reported that Marathe's influence extended to player selection and play calling: http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/?p=17011

"Mike Holmgren was under consideration for the coaching job of the San Francisco 49ers in 2004, but a mathematical calculation by the owners' son and the team's number-cruncher killed any hopes of hiring Holmgren. The 49ers selected Mike Nolan instead—based on another set of mathematical calculations and data by the two young men. Using a statistical analysis devised by 49ers number-cruncher Paraag Marathe and business school graduate Jed York, son of owners John and Denise DeBartolo York, the pair determined that no head coach of a Super Bowl winning team had ever left that team and won a Super Bowl as the head coach of another National Football League franchise.

Jed York and Paraag Marathe's numbers-crunching analysis came after the team fired then Coach Dennis Erickson after his losing 2004 football season. Both Marathe and York the Younger presented their evidence that no Super Bowl winning coach had ever joined another team as head coach and won another Super Bowl with the new organization.

"Jed and Paraag devised an entire series of spread sheets that provided statistical outcomes of various coaching choices," according to a 49ers insider. "They had reams of papers to prove that Holmgren was a bad choice and that Nolan was a good choice based upon his record in Baltimore and history at the Giants, Jets and Redskins. This year Paraag and Jed continue to use a statistical analysis combined with game films to make choices about what plays to run and what players to draft or acquire."

I wonder what the data table and pie charts that said " fire a winning coach" looked like....as already stated " I am depressed ".... the utter failure of these two to see the value of the importance of the human element in a game as emotionally dependent as football is self damming.
[ Edited by highway49 on Nov 3, 2015 at 7:30 PM ]
John York was so determined to jettison anything from the Eddie years that the good (Walsh and the WCO) went out with the bad...bags of cash at midnight...in the park. Or is that how Jed managed to build the stadium? One has to wonder...
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by mike1302:
so after all this analysis,they discovered their man was sitting right next to them in the organisation......having supported a successful coach that was booted....get out of here....what a crock of s**te....

Same s**t apparently picked Mike Nolan over Mike Holmgren as well.

This is the type of nonsense that good developed organizations deal with effectively and have down pat. You have to have a bad guy in accounting watching the money but you don't promote him to President of the company making big picture decisions! Just doesn't usually work.

You want a coach to have to go argue his case for signing a guy but it's his team...not the accountants. If the team does poorly the accountant gets paid and keeps his job. The HC is fired. So you give the HC leverage to work within parameters and all is overseen by a GM or exec who can arbitrate between them.

This is where I've read the breakdown sank Harbaugh with the team. Baalke could no longer mediate between Paraag and Harbaugh, meaning Paraag had gained enough power to over rule the GM and the HC. Dumb organizational scheme...but that's not surprising given Paraag is a John York protege.

That is an intersting perspective.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Bill Walsh was a legend in his field but his Excel and Adobe skills weren't up to par, so they chose to back Marathe.

I agree, senile old fogie couldnt keep up with the times, good riddance

What would he of known anyway, it's not like the entire league uses his guiding principles in some form or fashion.....oh, wait.....that's right, they do. Gotta listen to the Bain guy, he's gonna reinvent the sport.

Hey, since the moneyball movie left out important stuff like having Hudson, Mulder and Zito as reasons to the 2002 A's success, we can just leave out the fact that we never won without Harbs in the Paag movie.

Yeah people tend to forget that "Moneyball" wasn't what landed the A's - Hudson, Zito, Mulder, Tejada, and Chavez. But it is what led the team to trade or not sign them.

Moneyball analytics make less sense in a salary cap structure than in a non cap structure. It is how a team like the A's can hope to compete with the Yankees. But every NFL team has 53 guys and a hard cap and rules requiring they spend a high percentage of that cap.
Originally posted by znk916:

I agree, senile old fogie couldnt keep up with the times, good riddance

What would he of known anyway, it's not like the entire league uses his guiding principles in some form or fashion.....oh, wait.....that's right, they do. Gotta listen to the Bain guy, he's gonna reinvent the sport.

Hey, since the moneyball movie left out important stuff like having Hudson, Mulder and Zito as reasons to the 2002 A's success, we can just leave out the fact that we never won without Harbs in the Paag movie.

Yeah people tend to forget that "Moneyball" wasn't what landed the A's - Hudson, Zito, Mulder, Tejada, and Chavez. But it is what led the team to trade or not sign them.

Moneyball analytics make less sense in a salary cap structure than in a non cap structure. It is how a team like the A's can hope to compete with the Yankees. But every NFL team has 53 guys and a hard cap and rules requiring they spend a high percentage of that cap.

Oh c'mon its all about not stealing, taking walks and Hatteberg....nothing to do with the two guys on the left side with 30+ hrs and 3 aces David Justice learned patience and they traded Giambi's little bro.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 3, 2015 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by highway49:
I wonder what the data table and pie charts that said " fire a winning coach" looked like....as already stated " I am depressed ".... the utter failure of these two to see the value of the importance of the human element in a game as emotionally dependent as football is self damming.

I know what it said? It said that s coach who has gone to 3 straight NFC Championships and didn't win the Super Bowl has never won the Super Bowl. I think he's right but the sample size is so small.

Did I nail it?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Here is the article linking Holmgren to SF's head coaching job in 2005: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3383-2005Jan12.html

Apparently there was interest on his part, Seattle wanted him to stay but would have let him out of his contract. SF chose Nolan instead.

So they could have had Mike Holmgren involved with picking and developing a QB instead of Nolan. But the same people that thought Tomsula would be a great head coach thought it was too much of a risk to hire one that had won a SB elsewhere.

Wasn't it Holmgren who used a first round pick on a 30 year old QB????

Originally posted by KID9R:

Yes he did. But he also had a hand in trading up to grab Favre and developing him into a HOFer. He drafted Hasselbeck, who I think was a third rounder ... and he developed Steve Young.

It may not be that Weedon was a bad pick. It may have been that Cleveland's coach just wasn't as good as Holmgren was in developing talent.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Yes he did. But he also had a hand in trading up to grab Favre and developing him into a HOFer. He drafted Hasselbeck, who I think was a third rounder ... and he developed Steve Young.

It may not be that Weedon was a bad pick. It may have been that Cleveland's coach just wasn't as good as Holmgren was in developing talent.
1. Holmgren didn't trade up for Farve, they traded with the Falcons to get him.
2. It was the great Ron Wolf that traded for him.
3. I think Holmgren is good at training QBs but not necessarily good at selecting them.
4. And it's doesn't matter how good or bad Cleveland's coach was, you don't draft a 29 or 30 year old QB in the first.

3. I think Holmgren is good at training QBs but not necessarily good at selecting them.
4. And it's doesn't matter how good or bad Cleveland's coach was, you don't draft a 29 or 30 year old QB in the first.

You let me know the GM that drafts a QB that high without input from the head coach. Ergo he had a hand in acquiring him.

That QB actually had a fairly good rookie season. Cleveland rookie records for yards and TDs. I'm not saying he is anything close to a franchise QB, but you're going to miss more than you hit with QBs and I can name 15 first round QBs taken in the last 15 years worse than Weedon.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

You let me know the GM that drafts a QB that high without input from the head coach. Ergo he had a hand in acquiring him.

That QB actually had a fairly good rookie season. Cleveland rookie records for yards and TDs. I'm not saying he is anything close to a franchise QB, but you're going to miss more than you hit with QBs and I can name 15 first round QBs taken in the last 15 years worse than Weedon.
Everyone of those "15 other first round QBs" at least had the chance of being a franchise /start for the next 10 years type QB though. Weeden didn't. But there's no doubt Holmgren would have been a better choice than Nolan.

Everyone of those "15 other first round QBs" at least had the chance of being a franchise /start for the next 10 years type QB though. Weeden didn't. But there's no doubt Holmgren would have been a better choice than Nolan.

I think Holmgren did a good job in trading/selecting/acquiring Matt Hasselbeck as his QB to build around in Seattle. Hasselbeck was a good quarterback and was vital to their program. Matt was a 1998 sixth rounder that Mike acquired in 2001.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone