LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 180 users in the forums

Who gets extended?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
josh morgan. everyone overlooks this guy but hes probably the best WR we have on a consistent basis.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
josh morgan. everyone overlooks this guy but hes probably the best WR we have on a consistent basis.

I agree. He is a great team player too
Before most of the people complained when Alex Smith was resigned and now they all want him extended.
If im not mistaken players can be extended in season.

Packers extended Jordy Nelson yesterday, 3yr 13.5M

I believe if a player signed a minimum deal, which Braylon and Rogers DID NOT, you cant extend. But for Braylon and Rogers, they should be able to be extended.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I believe if a player signed a minimum deal, which Braylon and Rogers DID NOT, you cant extend. But for Braylon and Rogers, they should be able to be extended.

we have 17 mill right now correct?

Well, sure a player can sign an extension years after he signed his draft deal. My thought is that if a player signs a 2011 contract? Then he can not sign ANOTHER contract throughout 2011... unless he was cut loose from that contract.
Originally posted by jreff22:

this is where it gets tricky.

The only way we have 17.5M is if we have used the 3 $1M credits, and they arent including LTBE incentives.

We have like 1.95M in LTBE's between Alex, Braylon, Goodwin and Akers.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Well, sure a player can sign an extension years after he signed his draft deal. My thought is that if a player signs a 2011 contract? Then he can not sign ANOTHER contract throughout 2011... unless he was cut loose from that contract.

I dont know if that is new in the new CBA, but the only way you are unable to sign a player signed to a 1yr deal to an extension is if he signed a veteran minimum deal, with 50k bonus, anything above it and he is extendable.
I dont know if that is new in the new CBA, but the only way you are unable to sign a player signed to a 1yr deal to an extension is if he signed a veteran minimum deal, with 50k bonus, anything above it and he is extendable.

Oh okay... would be great news if we have the option to extend some of these guys, if they earn it as we go.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Yeah i agree. He is our new Arnaz Battle

The only way we have 17.5M is if we have used the 3 $1M credits, and they arent including LTBE incentives.

LOL

I have no idea what that means Jason

LOL

I have no idea what that means Jason

sorry LTBE's are incentives, that are likely to be earned.

If they arent counted, then we would have around the 17.5m left, if not then 1.95m less.
for me it's just Rodgers. Smith playing better but i'm not ready to give him an extension at this point.
just an FYI, committed salaries for 2012 are at $86.67M.

Now if the cap is at $130M, then cap room would be $43.33M

If at 120M again, its $33.33M.

Honestly thru 4 games, the guy(s) that should be extended based off the 1st 4 are;

Morgan
Rogers
Justin Smith

Maybe Brooks.

I would also look into extending Andy Lee's contract(signed thru 2012).
Also another player I like but idk if they will extend him yet is Bowman, he is signed thru 2013 and they might wait till 2012 to extend him.

Thing that the 49ers have done good with is signing players to certain lengths. Example, Wilis thru 2016, then Vernon thru 2015. Don't want a bunch of stars unsigned after a certain yr, then who do you tag?

I look at 2012 and 2013.

after '12, there are Spencer, Lee, Walker, Sopoaga and RJF
after '13 the main are J.Smith, Goodwin, Akers, Whitner, Bowman
Share 49ersWebzone