LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Alex calling audibles at the line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I noticed last game that Alex was in complete control at the line - calling audibles on both plays and blocking schemes. Has he always had the green light at the line? I'm not sure I've seen him with this much freedom...even earlier THIS season.

Watch the full play where Alex throws his 2nd TD pass to Vernon. He recognized the coverage and changed the play, leaving VD wide open in the endzone.

Am I alone here?
alex might just be the future
Harbaugh mentioned that he didn't like a couple of calls he made on run plays during his Presser, he said he was near to perfection tho.
I love that Alex has that' much grasp on the o! Great to see us changing on the fly!
been doing it all year
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Harbaugh mentioned that he didn't like a couple of calls he made on run plays during his Presser, he said he was near to perfection tho.

Yeah, Smith has the option to audible out of a 'bad' running play. One of the announcer was talking about that in a preseason game. I guess Harbaugh didn't think the original play called was 'bad' . Pretty sure Smith will be bench for this next week
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Yeah, Smith has the option to audible out of a 'bad' running play. One of the announcer was talking about that in a preseason game. I guess Harbaugh didn't think the original play called was 'bad' . Pretty sure Smith will be bench for this next week

Exactly. If you re-watch the game, you'll notice that sometimes Alex walks to the line, waves his hands an yell "kill", "kill".

That means he calls two plays at the huddle, a primary and a secondary. If he doesn't like the call at the LOS, he yells "kill" and everyone knows they have to run the secondary play.

A lot of teams in the NFL employ this system.
Smith is a very smart player and I trust him to audible. He has even done a great job calling audibles last season when they were down and the 9ers have to come back from behind.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

Exactly. If you re-watch the game, you'll notice that sometimes Alex walks to the line, waves his hands an yell "kill", "kill".

That means he calls two plays at the huddle, a primary and a secondary. If he doesn't like the call at the LOS, he yells "kill" and everyone knows they have to run the secondary play.

Yeah I also heard him yelling "Let it roll, Let it roll!" So i'm guessing this means run the original play. It's f'n simple but effective, love it!

http://youtu.be/N5W83MZhjeo?t=8m16s
[ Edited by gamechanger on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

There was also one where we motioned and the defense didn't react. Then Alex audibled the motion back to original formation. Probably were looking for a matchup they didn't get.

Originally posted by Canadian49er:
I noticed last game that Alex was in complete control at the line - calling audibles on both plays and blocking schemes. Has he always had the green light at the line? I'm not sure I've seen him with this much freedom...even earlier THIS season.

Watch the full play where Alex throws his 2nd TD pass to Vernon. He recognized the coverage and changed the play, leaving VD wide open in the endzone.

Am I alone here?

I certainly hope that is the case. That is a measure of a QB taking the next step forwards. I'm pretty sure he didn't have that freedom last year, especially early in the season before Raye was let go.
Yeah I also heard him yelling "Let it roll, Let it roll!" So i'm guessing this means run the original play. It's f'n simple but effective, love it!

I hope this still works with all the crowd noise in Detroit.
Originally posted by ncninerfan:

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure they will have hand motions or something other non-verbial communication.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Joecool:

I'm sure they will have hand motions or something other non-verbial communication.

"Let it roll" he signaled his hands like he's rolling down windows. "Kill,Kill,Kill" he would wave his hands kind of like a short incomplete ref signal. I'm almost positive anyways. I noticed it during the game.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone