LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Learning to love field position football

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
If Smith can hit 5'10" Williams on a fade for a TD in the corner of the end zone over a taller DB, 6'3" Edwards should be easy.

that's what I'm thinking. Could be a lack of practice time between the two. They really need to use Edwards in the redzone.
Originally posted by lamontb:
If Smith can hit 5'10" Williams on a fade for a TD in the corner of the end zone over a taller DB, 6'3" Edwards should be easy.

that's what I'm thinking. Could be a lack of practice time between the two. They really need to use Edwards in the redzone.

Maybe they are saving it for the right situation?
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

While games like the last two games have been ugly...especially for a group of people who grew up watching the aesthetically pleasing Montana/Young years...they've been very well conceived and executed from a tactical standpoint.

It's because people saw/remembered only highlights.

For example, 1988 wasn't a pretty year. The 49ers struggled early in the season was 6-5 before they found their rhythms. The loss against the Bears was a slugfest bore with the 49ers falling 10-9. Montana had a terrible day completing 13 of 29 attempts. Young made an "awesome" pass play that gained 1 yard. The only thing memorable about the game against Minnesota the following week was the famed Steve Young run to save the 49ers from another defeat. The next game against the Cardinals was an ugly loss with the 49ers blowing their comfortable 23-0 lead by yielding 24 unanswered points to the opponent.

Exactly. The 1981 and 1988 Super Bowl years were definitely not pretty every week.

Sure, but as a whole that era was offensive artistry.

Maybe they are saving it for the right situation?

Could be but i just don't buy that. How do you know you can execute it if you never try it? Rodgers throws the same back shoulder pass to Greg Jennings every week and the whole world knows it but you can't stop it b/c it's executed properly. Them connecting on fade patterns would open up the whole offense in the red zone.
Could be but i just don't buy that. How do you know you can execute it if you never try it? Rodgers throws the same back shoulder pass to Greg Jennings every week and the whole world knows it but you can't stop it b/c it's executed properly. Them connecting on fade patterns would open up the whole offense in the red zone.

Fades to the TE's and Edwards should be part of the game every week in my opinion.
Agree. It's very obvious this year in every game. Not just a couple here or there like the recent past.
Share 49ersWebzone