LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 227 users in the forums

49ers Drop Count through week 9

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Updated list of drops for SF as of November 8th, 2011

I was very careful not to include something "iffy" a drop, and I did not count passes that were technically caught but a receiver failed to get his feet in. Also not counting the alligator arms or penalty ones as official drops.

Seattle Seahawks game 1 -

3rd and 6 drops -------
other drops ------- 1 (Gore), 1 (Crabs)
alligator arms --------- 1 (VD)
pass interference called drops --- 1 (Edwards)

Dallas Cowpukes game 2 -

3rd and 6 drops ------- 1 (Ginn... 3rd and 11)
other drops ------- 1 (Walker), 1 (Ginn),
alligator arms -------
pass interference called drops --- 1 (Gore)

Cincinnati Bengals game 3 -

3rd and 6 drops ------- 1 (Crabs... 3rds and 7)
other drops ------- 1 (VD), 1 (Crabs), 1 (Morgan), 1 (Gore)
alligator arms --------- 1 (VD)
pass interference called drops ---

Philadelphia Eagles game 4 -

3rd and 6 drops ------- 1 (Hunter... 3rd and 6)
other drops ------- 1 (Walker), 1 (Hunter), 1 (Crabs), 1 (Crabs), 1 (Crabs),
alligator arms ---------

Tampa Bay Bucs game 5 -

3rd and 6 drops -------
other drops ------- 1 (Morgan),
alligator arms ---------
pass interference called drops --- 1 (VD),

Detroit Lions game 6 -

3rd and 6 drops ------- 1 (Walker... 3rd and 9)
other drops ------- 1 (Morgan), 1 (Gore), 1 (Crabtree),
alligator arms --------- 1 (Ginn)

Cleveland Browns game 7 -

3rd and 6 drops -------
other drops ------- 1 (Crabtree)
alligator arms --------- 1 (Crabtree... very slight)

Washington Redskins game 8 -

3rd and 6 drops ------- 1 (Gore.. 3rd and 14)
other drops ------- 1 (VD), 1 (VD)
alligator arms ---------

TOTAL DROPS THUS FAR on the 2011 season = 25

I think things are improving, fellas. It's impossible to say exactly where we stand in the drop rankings of every other team... as other sources can be and have always been rather flawed (not thorough). The only outside source I know of is this one... claiming us to be tied for 12th worst... with only 15.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
That deep ball to Vernon when Alex started by looking left then decided to go deep right to Vernon was a thing of beauty. Too bad it was dropped
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
That deep ball to Vernon when Alex started by looking left then decided to go deep right to Vernon was a thing of beauty. Too bad it was dropped

It was unfortunate... and I imagine a bit embarrassing to VD, considering he brought in lots of friends and family to watch. Still, VD had some clutch receptions, and his two drops didn't cost us much in the end.
I think we should take it a step further; you can look at the number of dropped balls to passing attempts. As I read yesterday, Alex is very very low in overall attempts per game compared to the rest of the starting QB's so these drops are even more critical esp. when a number of these are on 3rd downs or could have resulted in better field position leading to scores. Nice job on covering the quality of these drops!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

It was unfortunate... and I imagine a bit embarrassing to VD, considering he brought in lots of friends and family to watch. Still, VD had some clutch receptions, and his two drops didn't cost us much in the end.

it was unfortunate but i think it keeps the team grinding, knowing there are mistakes than can be corrected, i'd be more concerned if we were playing perfect ball right now, we want to be playing perfect ball about 2 months from now
Originally posted by crabman82:
it was unfortunate but i think it keeps the team grinding, knowing there are mistakes than can be corrected, i'd be more concerned if we were playing perfect ball right now, we want to be playing perfect ball about 2 months from now

Absolutely! A point that has been made before but can never be overlooked. All the drops... the penalties... the early OL fails... yet we still overcome and pull out wins. A time will come where these screw-ups improve... and when that happens? Then we can stomp on teams with more clear authority.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Alex is very very low in overall attempts per game compared to the rest of the starting QB's so these drops are even more critical

Another great point not to be overlooked! How can we be so high in drops with so few passes even attempted? Scary... but again... getting better.
Plenty of room for improvement for the offense and we still average 25.8ppg and are 7-1. Like Hargaugh says they are just trying to get better everyday.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Really wish VD woulda caught that one. It was a great throw. I found myself rooting for Crabs to catch a td too.

But as a few of you have stated im glad we still have things to improve. If we can get the passing game to catch fire at the right time it could bode well for the playoffs.
I love VD - he makes some tough catches, takes some big hits and holds onto the ball. But he is not exactly the most graceful catcher, nor does he have "soft" hands. It really made the point clear to me when a friend of mine that doesn't follow the 49ers, so has not fallen in love with VD, asked me "Who is that #85. He is horrible catching the ball and awkard running with it after the catch." Granted VD had a bad game against the Redskins. But he is NOT your prototypical TE a la Gate, Gonzales, Whitten, etc.
This thread is brought to you by Alexecuses Inc.

Originally posted by crabman82:

I agree and Edwards interview made that clear, not about the drops but overall. The offense is still in second gear and if/when they get fluid it will be a formidable force.

The team seems to be calmly aware of where they are and confident that they will be peaking for the playoffs. My only concern is that they not try to be too cute with the shifting and trick plays. It's good to give teams something to think of but the play calling is sometimes
Originally posted by susweel:

Dude do you have anything informative to add ever? You turn everything into something about how bad Alex is. This thread is about drops not Alex. Feel free to watch tape and get a count of all of Alex's bad passes and then we can discuss those in your Alex's bad passes thread. Until then stop being an anti Alex A$$ and stay on topic or just stay out. I understand you just want to piss people off but all you do anymore is look ignorant.
dont you guys love it when some people are always negative and everybody else just kinda ignores them?!?!? or at least refuses to directly acknowledge them?!?!?! i find that hilarious...
Thanks for keeping tack of this oldman... I was checking it out on the other boards. I think we are definitely up there in the league for drops. Especially like one poster said if you consider how feel attempts we have had. It was a big problem in the past... thought we started to take care of it last year(?).

A lot of it is concentration... Gore and Hunter tend to want to run at times before catching the ball. That's where most of theirs come from. I guess it's tough when you drop it off for 3 yards on 3rd and 10 and they are trying to get a 1st down.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:

Whatever happened to SyberKriminal? He use to do this kind of stuff all the time. Guess he wasn't a 9er fan, just liked how active this board was and that he could spend 24/7 criticizing everyone. Don't think anyone mentioned Alex before your post. Also, if it makes you feel bad as many drops as we have had the WRs have bailed out Alex a bunch as well (especially Crabtree).
Share 49ersWebzone