LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 201 users in the forums

PFT: " 49ers have a better formula than the Packers to win games in January "

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In their Power Rankings thread this was under the 49ers description.

I found this statement right on. The packer will score points, but they will allow alot also.
Regardless of what their record says, they havent faced a Defense that will challenge them. Just mediocre.
A win is a win and the record speaks for itself, but if your not challenged during the season, come play off time, your one and done .
The 49ers however have been challenged in the 1st half and have made udjustments in the Eagles, Lions and Bengal games.
Packers have not trailed enough to have their backs against the wall and have not needed to make major udjustments.

Last year , it was their Defense that started dominating by this point. This year, the Defense is becoming every week, the weaker link.
[ Edited by ziggy_gonna_rock on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:32 AM ]
say what?
Totally agree. The Packers are a very good team, but put them against a team with an eliete defense and an offense capable of controlling the clock with the run and scoring 27 or so points and they will probably loose.

Now are the 49ers that team? Maybe... but we need to improve our pass defense and the offense needs to play well in the red-zone (can't win with field goals against the Packers).
Ask yourself this, who is better built to win the frozen tundra? A passing team built for speed, or a running team that is a defensive juggernaut?
They said that on the colin cowherd show today, and for the first time I allowed myself to be okay with crazy talk like that.
lol @ the reaction in the comments section, some people got a little testy over this comment by florio
its true. i don't think there's anything controversial about the fact that defense and the running game is what wins in January.

we're 7-1 and playing our best football in a decade and we are going to be playing better in December and January.
I used to hate Florio but respected the man for leaving the lawyer game to pursue his passion for football. b*****d beat me to it. I agree though.....our run team is going to win games with frozen footballs.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
They said that on the colin cowherd show today, and for the first time I allowed myself to be okay with crazy talk like that.
Last night I saw Colin arguing with another dude on Sportsnation. Colin said the Niners are 30th in passing and it's a passing league. He then said something about playing sub 500 teams???????? I actually like Colin but it makes me think that these guys are so busy and they get east coast crap shoved down their throat so much that it's hard for them to look at it any different. It's almost like the AFL all over again. There's only certain teams that matter to them and the other ones have no chance of contending with the pass happy big boys.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Running wise Green Bay is not very good, it's just about keep-a-way from Rodgers

Considering we are a power running team, with a fierce run stopping d and a grade A special team unit I endorse the idea we want to play the NFC Championship in Green Bay. The weather and the field will be an advantage. Let's go Niners!!!
Teams with good defenses make the playoffs -- rarely do you see a lousy defense in the playoffs (but you will see a lousy offense in the playoffs from time to time).

As a result, points are at a premium. So, you must convert in the red zone and be able to convert 3rd and shorts.

Power teams are better than speed teams in the red zone and running on 3rd and short. We are a power team -- Green Bay isn't...that's Florio's point at PFT. The only thing holding us back is the ability to convert third downs in the middle of the field. We get that down and we can't be beat.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Ask yourself this, who is better built to win the frozen tundra? A passing team built for speed, or a running team that is a defensive juggernaut?

Didn't the packers a non running team win the bowl last year? Beating a running team that had a solid defense in ATL.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Didn't the packers a non running team win the bowl last year? Beating a running team that had a solid defense in ATL.

ya they beat atl inside on a track surface, i believe his question was about the frozen tundra not the georgia dome
Green Bay hasn't faced a good defense yet. There aren't many in this year's NFL. You have Baltimore, Pittsburgh and us. I don't know if you want to add Detroit to this list or not. I'm not adding Tampa Bay because, well, we had our way with that defense earlier this season.

Point is -- Aaron Rodgers hasn't faced a tough defense yet. I still think games against Detroit and Chicago will give him trouble, but we'll see. Time will tell.

Personally? I believe the NFC Championship Game won't be played in the frozen tundra. It will be placed here in San Francisco. It will be cold and foggy, but not snowy. And it will be an epic showdown between San Francisco and Green Bay -- a showdown that the 49ers will win.

This is our year.
Share 49ersWebzone