There are 209 users in the forums

PFT: " 49ers have a better formula than the Packers to win games in January "

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Were gonna win the Superbowl this year.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Let's not start sucking our popsicles just yet.
Originally posted by Otter:

First things first,let's beat the Giants this sunday.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The comments section cracks me up. LOL!!

I see comment like "Everyone knows that the way you win in the playoffs is an overwhelming offense. Rodgers>Smith".

Ya know what? That's true...until its not. People always act as if the way you win in the NFL is static. It never changes.

There are comments in there saying that running the ball and playing good D worked in the 70's but not now. Actually, it worked well in teh 80's (Redskins) and 90's (Cowboys) too, but we won't go into that.

In that very comment they say the NFL has changed but fail to realize that it CONTINUES to change. If everyone is geared to pass and stop the pass, doesn't it stand to reason that a team built to attack where you're weak seem to have an advantage?

Thats OK tho. As I've said before...just let them think that. When January comes and the Niners beat the Pack you can say "told ya". The world will be shocked and we can say "dude...I've been trying to tell you this since November".

I really agree with this take.

I don't buy into Black&White views on most things, especially sports, and especially football.

For me, this whole "Passing League" concept is very narrow-minded. Without getting into what the term implys, the league is in constant evolution, and the new model is constantly being built. Great teams are ahead of the curve. I feel that if your franchise is buying into this "Passing League" hype and only focusing on getting a high profile QB, you're going to be very disappointed.

I'm not implying the Niners have the "next" model (Not that they don't either) Just that writing any team off who doesn't fit the model of the Last SB Champ is proven more wrong than right in the history of the SB.

I'm not saying a good QB with high stats is bad, just that there's more than one way to succeed, the only constant flaw I see is teams trying to chase the model of the past Super Bowl champions.

In the 70s, the idea of a short passing attack being a model to win a SB was acinine.

Originally posted by JeuSF49:

First things first,let's beat the Giants this sunday.

We get a popsicle if we win the SB?
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Green Bay hasn't faced a good defense yet. There aren't many in this year's NFL. You have Baltimore, Pittsburgh and us. I don't know if you want to add Detroit to this list or not. I'm not adding Tampa Bay because, well, we had our way with that defense earlier this season.

Point is -- Aaron Rodgers hasn't faced a tough defense yet. I still think games against Detroit and Chicago will give him trouble, but we'll see. Time will tell.

Personally? I believe the NFC Championship Game won't be played in the frozen tundra. It will be placed here in San Francisco. It will be cold and foggy, but not snowy. And it will be an epic showdown between San Francisco and Green Bay -- a showdown that the 49ers will win.

This is our year.

If we're going to speculate on the Niners running the ball in bad weather in January, here is a concern on our end: Gore seems to slip a lot on a wet Candlestick field. He plays low, he makes sharp cuts. I truly don't know if the guy is a mudder. Bad weather could be Dixon's time to shine.
Green Bay hasn't faced a good defense yet. There aren't many in this year's NFL. You have Baltimore, Pittsburgh and us. I don't know if you want to add Detroit to this list or not. I'm not adding Tampa Bay because, well, we had our way with that defense earlier this season.

Point is -- Aaron Rodgers hasn't faced a tough defense yet. I still think games against Detroit and Chicago will give him trouble, but we'll see. Time will tell.

Personally? I believe the NFC Championship Game won't be played in the frozen tundra. It will be placed here in San Francisco. It will be cold and foggy, but not snowy. And it will be an epic showdown between San Francisco and Green Bay -- a showdown that the 49ers will win.

This is our year.

The fact is, Aaron Rodgers is playing on a level that is out of this world. He can put his team on his back and win any game in any arena. It will be tough, our secondary is arguably our weakspot in the defense.
Originally posted by Garcia:

This is our year.

The fact is, Aaron Rodgers is playing on a level that is out of this world. He can put his team on his back and win any game in any arena. It will be tough, our secondary is arguably our weakspot in the defense.

So was Tom Brady. The Giants DBs weren't stellar. The Pass Rush was.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM ]

This is our year.

Green Bay is on a 14 game winning streak dating back to last year. In the Super Bowl they beat the #1 defense in the NFL. Rodgers went over 300 yards and 3 TDs. He's more than proved he can be torch a top-notch defense. I don't know where the myth that Green Bay can't run the ball comes from. Both of their RBs are averaging over 4 YPC. They just don't run the ball 30 times per game. They are also #8 against the run. Its comical that somebody believes a team that plays in the coldest venue in the NFL doesn't know how to play in the cold. Comical.

Rodgers has played Chicago at Soldier Field and absolutely had his way with them. I've never understood the myth of running the ball to keep explosive offenses off the field. It rarely ever works. Statistically run-first teams score less than pass-first teams. Football is all about scoring more points than the other team. It's common sense. The more plays it takes you to get down the field, the more likely it is to get stopped short of scoring a TD. Its that simple. Simple mathematical probability. You don't really see the running teams winning Super Bowls anymore. Its all about having an elite QB.
[ Edited by strat1080 on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM ]

Originally posted by Garcia:

This is our year.

yup. As good as Rodgers has been, Brady was better in 2007. A lot of football left to play...

This season certainly does feel special though.
Originally posted by strat1080:

This is our year.

Green Bay is on a 14 game winning streak dating back to last year. In the Super Bowl they beat the #1 defense in the NFL. Rodgers went over 300 yards and 3 TDs. He's more than proved he can be torch a top-notch defense. I don't know where the myth that Green Bay can't run the ball comes from. Both of their RBs are averaging over 4 YPC. They just don't run the ball 30 times per game. They are also #8 against the run. Its comical that somebody believes a team that plays in the coldest venue in the NFL doesn't know how to play in the cold. Comical.

you are right that the idea that GB can't run the ball is something of a myth. They do however run the ball 26 times a game. They're an effective running team, but not a great running team.

also, he didn't say that GB can't play in the cold, he said the NFCCG won't be on their field.

GB is on a great streak, but all streaks come to an end someday...

The 49ers dont' have that kind of pass rush. The Giants essentially had 3 Pro Bowl players on the DL and a very deep rotation of rushers. Strahan is a HOF player. Rodgers QB Rating in cold weather games is 106. I don't know the myth persists that teams can't throw the ball in the cold. That myth is like 30 years old. Brady has a tremendous QB Rating in cold weather. Rodgers threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs in a must-win game last year against the Giants at Lambeau Field on December 26. The Giants had a very good defense and pass rush at the time. As long as its not snowing during the game or really windy, cold weather really isn't going to affect Rodgers.

The 49ers dont' have that kind of pass rush. The Giants essentially had 3 Pro Bowl players on the DL and a very deep rotation of rushers. Strahan is a HOF player. Rodgers QB Rating in cold weather games is 106. I don't know the myth persists that teams can't throw the ball in the cold. That myth is like 30 years old. Brady has a tremendous QB Rating in cold weather. Rodgers threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs in a must-win game last year against the Giants at Lambeau Field on December 26. The Giants had a very good defense and pass rush at the time. As long as its not snowing during the game or really windy, cold weather really isn't going to affect Rodgers.

That Giants team was mediocre and then got hot at the right time, we're winning games and haven't even warmed up yet, and that Giants team didn't have Patrick Willis. Apples and oranges.

This is our year.

Rodgers has played Chicago at Soldier Field and absolutely had his way with them. I've never understood the myth of running the ball to keep explosive offenses off the field. It rarely ever works. Statistically run-first teams score less than pass-first teams. Football is all about scoring more points than the other team. It's common sense. The more plays it takes you to get down the field, the more likely it is to get stopped short of scoring a TD. Its that simple. Simple mathematical probability. You don't really see the running teams winning Super Bowls anymore. Its all about having an elite QB.

Yes, but they can't run against the Niners. Also, they are #8 against the run because the teams they play against are always passing....because they are behind. Thats why they are ranked 31st against the pass.

Chicago wasn't a running team last year. They have Forte, but Martz is their coordinator. Thats not the proof you are looking for.

I do tend to agree with you on one point. They can run if they need to. However that won't help them against the Niners.

Look, I'm not saying the Niners WILL beat the Packers should they play. I'm just saying they CAN...and they probably have a better chance than anyone else.
Share 49ersWebzone