LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 209 users in the forums

PFT: " 49ers have a better formula than the Packers to win games in January "

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i like our chances against the packers in january in lambeau...it's definitely not a slam dunk for us to win but it wouldn't be an easy win for the cheeseheads either
In mid to late December, it's time for Harbaugh to start trying out new stuff in the passing game...once the playoff position is kind of finalized. Without the off-season workouts/practice, this might be the only chance.
Originally posted by strat1080:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I got this from Peter King's MMQBTE, a fan wrote in an email comparing Tom Brady's first 8 games of 2007 to Rodgers 8 games this year:

Yards: Rodgers: 2,619; Brady, 2,431

Touchdowns: Brady, 30; Rodgers, 24

Interceptions: Brady, 2; Rodgers, 3;

Completion percentage: Brady, 75.2; Rodgers, 72.5

OB rating: Brady, 131.1; Rodgers, 129.7

Yards per completion: Brady, 11.51; Rodgers, 9.88

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/08/week.9/index.html#ixzz1d9zPwESo

So basically the guy was right. Rodgers is playing at about the same level as Brady was. That Yards per completion has to be a typo. That 9.88 for Rodgers is his YPA. Brady finished with a 8.3 YPA. Clearly Rodgers yards per completion is higher than 9.88 and the fact that Brady finished with a lower YPA means its impossible that Brady's YPA was anywhere close to 11.51 halfway through the season. The QB Ratings are almost identical. The 07 Patriots played one of the easiest schedules in NFL history. Their division was absolutely terrible that year.

you are right, the YPC/YPA stat is messed up.

Rodgers YPC right now is 11.2. Brady at mid 2007 had a YPC of 11.85

Brady's YPA at the midpoint was 9.1

anyway, my point was that Rodgers has been incredible, he's having an all-time season, but its either equal to or a little less than Brady's 2007 season, which was better in its first half than in the second, and which, as well know, ended in a Super Bowl defeat. So, crown him if you want, but Rodgers isn't doing something so unheard of before that its impossible that he can be defeated.

also, its fair to say that Brady had a weak schedule in 07, I guess, but Rodgers hasn't exactly played Murderer's Row here. The toughest part of his schedule is coming up so lets see what happens.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM ]

anyway, my point was that Rodgers has been incredible, he's having an all-time season, but its either equal to or a little less than Brady's 2007 season, which was better in its first half than in the second, and which, as well know, ended in a Super Bowl defeat. So, crown him if you want, but Rodgers isn't doing something so unheard of before that its impossible that he can be defeated.

also, its fair to say that Brady had a weak schedule in 07, I guess, but Rodgers hasn't exactly played Murderer's Row here. The toughest part of his schedule is coming up so lets see what happens.

Not to argue too much about the statistics, but as a whole Tom Brady's 2007 is not better than Aaron Rodgers' first half this year. Aaron has done more with less (more td's, yards, int's per attempt). TB's first half of 2007 is equal to AR's first half of 2011 for sure, so we'll see how AR finishes before settling this. Regardless of stats though do u disagree with my idea that Aaron Rodgers is more capable of neutralizing a pass rush? IMO the Pats undoing that year was Tom Brady getting murdered by the Giants D line and not having any schematic way to counter that. There's a lot more you can do with Aaron Rodger's and this offense.

I'm hardly going to crown him yet, I just don't see many people here acknowledging this aspect to Rodgers' game. It's something that must be considered if our teams best shot at beating the packers will be shutting down their offense, as it won't be as easy as just getting a good pass rush.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

Not to argue too much about the statistics, but as a whole Tom Brady's 2007 is not better than Aaron Rodgers' first half this year. Aaron has done more with less (more td's, yards, int's per attempt). TB's first half of 2007 is equal to AR's first half of 2011 for sure, so we'll see how AR finishes before settling this. Regardless of stats though do u disagree with my idea that Aaron Rodgers is more capable of neutralizing a pass rush? IMO the Pats undoing that year was Tom Brady getting murdered by the Giants D line and not having any schematic way to counter that. There's a lot more you can do with Aaron Rodger's and this offense.

I'm hardly going to crown him yet, I just don't see many people here acknowledging this aspect to Rodgers' game. It's something that must be considered if our teams best shot at beating the packers will be shutting down their offense, as it won't be as easy as just getting a good pass rush.

i do agree that Rodgers mobility sets him apart from Brady. He's a more dynamic player in many ways.

My only point was just that there's a growing sense that Rodgers is having the greatest season ever--and he very well may be--but it wasn't that long ago that we saw a pretty similar season. so its not like he's reinventing the NFL or something, I guess is what I'm getting at. He might end up shattering Brady's season. Or like Brady his production, while still insane, might take a dip. But Rodgers right now is a better athlete and has so many great receivers that he might just make me look stupid for even suggesting it.

I guess my main point is that there is nothing wrong with being incredibly impressed and envious or whatever by what Rodgers is doing, but in terms of having to play him, with our defense, I don't think there's any reason to think that its impossible to stop him.
i do agree that Rodgers mobility sets him apart from Brady. He's a more dynamic player in many ways.

My only point was just that there's a growing sense that Rodgers is having the greatest season ever--and he very well may be--but it wasn't that long ago that we saw a pretty similar season. so its not like he's reinventing the NFL or something, I guess is what I'm getting at. He might end up shattering Brady's season. Or like Brady his production, while still insane, might take a dip. But Rodgers right now is a better athlete and has so many great receivers that he might just make me look stupid for even suggesting it.

I guess my main point is that there is nothing wrong with being incredibly impressed and envious or whatever by what Rodgers is doing, but in terms of having to play him, with our defense, I don't think there's any reason to think that its impossible to stop him.

As for "Best-Season-Ever" talk, all of that just rolls off me. Peyton Manning's 2004 season is by my regard the best statistical season of all-time, and what does he have to show for it? Nothing. Same as Brady in '07 and very likely same for Rodgers this year.

So, I do agree with what you are saying, just b/c he's playing at this level doesn't make him unbeatable at all, but it will be a fun challenge!
If we beat the Packers we will win the Super Bowl, if being the key word
Green bay can simply out score there opponents no one has shown they can stop them yet. To much fire power on O. And come Jamuary I bet that D turns it up. There not the champs for nothing.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Well considering it would likely be the NFC Championship, you have at least a 50-50 shot of being right.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Green bay can simply out score there opponents no one has shown they can stop them yet. To much fire power on O. And come Jamuary I bet that D turns it up. There not the champs for nothing.

Can their Jamuary handle us when its Peanut Butter Jelly Time?!?

Lol my bad
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Lol my bad

Originally posted by jreff22:

I agree
I don't know if anybody can beat the Packers and Rodgers. But I honestly think we have the best chance.

~ Great D.
~ Awesome spcial teams.
~ O won't turn it over.
~ Great coaching.

That matches up pretty well vs. the Packers.
I think the Packers will too strong at home in the playoffs. If we are the only team to challenge them for the No.1 seed in the NFC then its home advantage to us. Make them come to us.
Share 49ersWebzone