LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 218 users in the forums

PFT: " 49ers have a better formula than the Packers to win games in January "

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How many times have we seen stellar D's shut down high powered O's in the playoffs, it happens quite a bit, last year GB's D was AMAZING, mostly in part because of Clay Matthews' crazy ass pass rush, it really made a big difference for them in the playoff games WHEN IT COUNTS.

Not talking anything away from the GB O and Rodgers, but you don't win a SB without a D, and they've just given up so many points this year on D that if they didn't have the Offense that they have and put up the points that they have, they'd be lucky to win 4-5 games up to this point.

What I'm trying to say I guess is, with the team that they have now, and the team that we have, they'd be picked by everyone to beat us in the playoffs, but if anyone would knock them off with a great D, it's going to be us(the 49ers) people, and I don't think I'm the only one here who doesn't see this as well.
[ Edited by King49er on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM ]
  • jdean
  • Veteran
I Remember that the same things were being said about Dan Marino and the dolphins in 84. There is a lot of similarities between the 2 teams , great passing,receiving and not much of a running game along with a suspect defense. But we all know how that turned out.
As for our defense not being able to control the packs offense , I remember the NINERS of the 80's have a superior offense but we always had a hard time with the giants stout defense. There were never any blowouts , it was always a close game. When the pack meets a top defense they can be had.
We Are Legend. This is why our Legend's spoke. The end.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Ask yourself this, who is better built to win the frozen tundra? A passing team built for speed, or a running team that is a defensive juggernaut?

The bears have thought the same, yet were destroyed by us.
I would not count the Packers out, now they are very sexy, a lot of passing a lot of points, speed. Yet I would never rule out a Dom Capers defence.

Allthough I do not belive that the Packers will win back to back! They will beaten by a team in a game which they would usually win 9 out of 10 times just as teh Giants did wit the Pats. Will that loss be somewhere in the playoffs or in the SB, it's yet to be seen.

Yeah I thought of the Bears game, but we had a secret and overlooked weapon, a guy named Bronco, I think his last name was Hienrich, the equipment manager, brought chemical hand warmers, a new invention and he had the team in astroturf shoes not cleats, he rightly concluded in warm ups the day before the game that the turf shoes worked better on a frozen field! No s**t big win and game ball, Bronco the equipment guy!
Originally posted by strat1080:
Green Bay is on a 14 game winning streak dating back to last year. In the Super Bowl they beat the #1 defense in the NFL. Rodgers went over 300 yards and 3 TDs. He's more than proved he can be torch a top-notch defense. I don't know where the myth that Green Bay can't run the ball comes from. Both of their RBs are averaging over 4 YPC. They just don't run the ball 30 times per game. They are also #8 against the run. Its comical that somebody believes a team that plays in the coldest venue in the NFL doesn't know how to play in the cold. Comical.

Rodgers has played Chicago at Soldier Field and absolutely had his way with them. I've never understood the myth of running the ball to keep explosive offenses off the field. It rarely ever works. Statistically run-first teams score less than pass-first teams. Football is all about scoring more points than the other team. It's common sense. The more plays it takes you to get down the field, the more likely it is to get stopped short of scoring a TD. Its that simple. Simple mathematical probability. You don't really see the running teams winning Super Bowls anymore. Its all about having an elite QB.
Green Bay has a terrible defense, they looked pretty bad against a struggling Phillips Rivers. If Rivers doesn't make those bonehead ints, the Packers lose that game. San Diego was able to pressure Rodgers with 3-4 guys rushing most of the game. They are good at passing, but they are very bearable, so man up and show some faith in your team.
Originally posted by strat1080:
So basically the guy was right. Rodgers is playing at about the same level as Brady was. That Yards per completion has to be a typo. That 9.88 for Rodgers is his YPA. Brady finished with a 8.3 YPA. Clearly Rodgers yards per completion is higher than 9.88 and the fact that Brady finished with a lower YPA means its impossible that Brady's YPA was anywhere close to 11.51 halfway through the season. The QB Ratings are almost identical. The 07 Patriots played one of the easiest schedules in NFL history. Their division was absolutely terrible that year.

The pack have played a ridiculously easy schedule to date. We'll see how that weak defense holds up once they get into conference play.
Share 49ersWebzone