LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 200 users in the forums

The Illegal Fair Catch called on Washington's Onside Kick Attempt

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why were we penalized for that? It didn't really matter in terms of winning the game, but the rule is that you can call a fair catch on a kickoff. The only reason you don't see it on onside kicks is because the kickers try to bounce the ball of the ground so that you can't fair catch. Washington's kick went straight up in the air. Special teams are always coached to fair catch it if the ball doesn't touch the ground. It's basic football strategy that the refs once again screw us on, just like our "false start" shifts.
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
The ball did bounce off the ground. That's why kickers purposely bounce it off the ground so the receiving team can't call fair catch.
[ Edited by kdogg on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:09 AM ]
The ball bounced when Vernon signaled for fair catch.
I thought the same thing until the replay showed the ball bounced then flew up
Lmao damn my bad I even watched it again on Whomeam's posted highlights on here that he puts on youtube...I could have sworn he kicked it straight up. Lol mods go ahead and lock it
That was one hell of an onside kick...That ball was in slow motion as it was coming down...I was saying to myself please hold onto it Vernon...If it would of led to a re-kick I would of been highly upset...
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Knowing the rule, I would have still signaled fair catch. If just one defender pulls up, it is worth the penalty.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Heard on CSNBA this morning that Ted Gin told Vernon to call fair catch. Perhaps a diversion, either way it worked take the penalty any day on that one.
That was a great play by Vernon and shows his worth to the team
Hey if VD didn't see the ball bounce, or didn't know the rule, so what, Sealy did a great job. That play was perfectly coached and executed, no one except VD had a chance to recover the ball, well blocked. I bet then VD was told to fair catch that ball regardless of the bounce, makes total sense to me, most players are taught to respect the fair catch, possession of the ball not field position was the objective!
Originally posted by fryet:
Knowing the rule, I would have still signaled fair catch. If just one defender pulls up, it is worth the penalty.

Makes you wonder ... Why wouldn't the blockers just hold the crap out of the kicking team while the ball is in the air? There are one or two dedicated receivers for an onsides kick, everyone else is supposed to make sure they get a clean look at the catch. Since any post-kick penalty is irrelevant, why not just tackle your opposite number if you feel your block begin to slip?

Kind of like Harbaugh's challenge of a scoring play "tactic"

Share 49ersWebzone