LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Worse Call During the Redskins Game: The Delay of Game or The False Start?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Worse Call During the Redskins Game: The Delay of Game or The False Start?

The Delay of Game was a MUCH WORSE Call, IMHO.

The Refs prevented the 49ers from executing a play by standing between Smith and the Center, then the ref asked for more clock time, didn't get it, Harbaugh called a timeout, and a flag came out.

This was one of the worst calls I have ever seen due to sheer incompetence, not because it was a game-changer. The refs simply failed to follow procedure.

On the False start, there is a stipulation in the rule book against simulating a play -- and whether the shift was a simulation is up for debate.
The delay of game was the worst between the two. However, we got hosed on both of those calls. What's going on with the refs this year? It seems several of the officiating crews are really making bad calls in a lot of games, not just 49ers games. We're 8 games into the season, and the refs should have their crap together by now.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
How about both? The false start really upset me, the rules stipulate you can shift, but then it says you can not simulate a play....what is that even supossed to mean? and how does the ref determine it was a simulated play?
I thought the false start was the right call... Peele really flinche as he shifts back...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/50716/on-the-49ers-beefs-with-officiating-sunday
Originally posted by dankmeistr:
The delay of game was the worst between the two. However, we got hosed on both of those calls. What's going on with the refs this year? It seems several of the officiating crews are really making bad calls in a lot of games, not just 49ers games. We're 8 games into the season, and the refs should have their crap together by now.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

Yes - they're bad across the NFL. From my understanding on the false start, the NFL has essentially decided that the "Harbaugh Shift" is illegal and has instructed refs to call it -- they watch film of it before the game each week. In week 1 they didn't call it.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I thought the false start was the right call... Peele really flinche as he shifts back...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/50716/on-the-49ers-beefs-with-officiating-sunday

I'm on the fence -- it's a judgement call and false starts are usually black-and-white. If they can call that penalty, they can call a QB for having too hard of a hard count if they want to.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I'm on the fence -- it's a judgement call and false starts are usually black-and-white. If they can call that penalty, they can call a QB for having too hard of a hard count if they want to.

It's all based on movement. If the QB flinches to move back or something then it'll be a false start, not sure why a hard count is even in this discussion.
It's all based on movement. If the QB flinches to move back or something then it'll be a false start, not sure why a hard count is even in this discussion.

Because Smith's hard count coincided with the penalty. [hard count] + [shift] = simulation
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Because when they hard count, they tend to bark and move their head forward. I've seen the refs call a false start on a QB because the head moved forward too much.
the false start was a bad call. I actually thought the Niners could have been called for a couple more delay of games---the play clock hit 0 and the ball was snapped just afterwards--split second---I was happy those were not called---it could be the TV effect also.

Thats one of the whole point of shifting or motion, the others are to reveal the D's scheme and create a mismatch. Cause the other side to pull the other offside.
The Delay of Game was a MUCH WORSE Call, IMHO.

This...
Well the False start hurt us more. Didn't that stall our drive in the red zone. It was third and 1 and we got backed up. Both Peele and Walker moved legally. That one hurt.
The false start is a judgment call and hard to argue as it's interpretation of intent. The delay involved interference by refs...no question the most egregious error!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The false start is a judgment call and hard to argue as it's interpretation of intent. The delay involved interference by refs...no question the most egregious error!

this, exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone