LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 221 users in the forums

The bend-but-don't-break philosophy and how the 49ers are built for success.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The bend-but-don't-break philosophy and how the 49ers are built for success.

Watching the 49ers play this year, I have formed what I think is a pretty simple theory about how the 49ers are constructed.

Basically, you have two types of players: speed players and power/size players -- occasionally you'll get a guy that's both (e.g. VD, Willis). but usually, you get one or the other. And usually, your whole squad for both offense and defense conforms to one of those methods -- with maybe one speed guy thrown in to stretch things.

When operating on ofense, speed teams move the ball easily in open spaces but run into difficulty in the red zone when the amount of available space shrinks. Power teams do the opposite: they struggle to move the ball in open spaces but do well in the red zone. On defense, the same holds true: power defenses 'bend' in the middle of the field but get much, much better when the surface space shrinks.

We are a power team on both offense and defense, with few exceptions. As a result, we're 9th in total yards allowed by #1 in points allowed (best). We're 22nd against the pass and 1st against the run. Again, this is a result of our power construct. On offense, we're 26th in yards and 8th in points. 30th in passing yards, 6th in rushing. Again, power.

If you're big and slow, you do well in the red zone. If you're little and fast -- not so much. As an example, see Alex Smith's career QB rating in the Red Zone.

Based on my observations, power teams win more than speed teams, in the regular season and in the playoffs. The only caveat is that the quarterback MUST be able to move the chains in the middle of the field and avoid turnovers. Alex Smith does that. Other power teams like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Chicago (when they want to be) follow the same model. In Chicago for instance, they get chashed between the 20s and hold teams to FGs in the red zone -- they look awful at times between the 20s on offense but seem to have a high red zone success rate (their play-calling is terrible too).

Scott McCloughan set out to build a power team when he took over, but we lacked the consistency between the 20s to be successful. Harbaugh has taken that talented team and shown them how to move the chains in the middle of the field. At the same time, our defense has gotten a little bit better -- Bowman is another speed-power hybrid like Willis (homerun picks), the secondary doesn't make mistakes, and the pass rush has improved. But in general, the defense is about the same as it has been for years.

Thoughts?
Good observation and i like it that we are built this way, i also think that we have the players, talent and play calling to be explosive if we need to, there have been about 4 or 5 plays during the year that would do a lot for our off numbers, i think we are right there and by the time the playoffs come, this team will be able to play any kind of football it needs to win a game..All in baby!

Our D. is 5 times better than last´s. Our pass rush is awesome and since nobody can run on us, of course we are giving up some yards thru the air but our secondary is number 1 i think in passes defended which in the past this wouldn't be the case.
Smith has been avoided the the turnovers but 3rd down conversions have been horrible, and they were better in the red zone last year. there is no set theory anymore on a power team will when this way or that way. And vice versa for a team built with speed. The Steelers and Ravens have the perfect mix b/c they can spread the field and throw the ball to speed guys. And can still line up and run the ball right at you. Just gotta let it all play out.
championship
Originally posted by 9ermex:
Good observation and i like it that we are built this way, i also think that we have the players, talent and play calling to be explosive if we need to, there have been about 4 or 5 plays during the year that would do a lot for our off numbers, i think we are right there and by the time the playoffs come, this team will be able to play any kind of football it needs to win a game..All in baby!

Our D. is 5 times better than last´s. Our pass rush is awesome and since nobody can run on us, of course we are giving up some yards thru the air but our secondary is number 1 i think in passes defended which in the past this wouldn't be the case.

I don't think the '10 and '11 gap on defense is that big:

Carlos Rogers > Clements
Bowman >>> Spikes
Better pass rush from Brooks and (now) Aldon Smith

Not huge changes.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Smith has been avoided the the turnovers but 3rd down conversions have been horrible, and they were better in the red zone last year. there is no set theory anymore on a power team will when this way or that way. And vice versa for a team built with speed. The Steelers and Ravens have the perfect mix b/c they can spread the field and throw the ball to speed guys. And can still line up and run the ball right at you. Just gotta let it all play out.

Disagree on the Steelers. On offense, they are power with one speed guy (maybe 2). On defense they are a power team without a doubt.

Alex Smith will get better on third downs.
coaching+ability+execution=explosive. i like the make up of the team except for some nit picky stuff i just wanna see results.

phuk bend but dont break lets see scorched earth
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I don't think the '10 and '11 gap on defense is that big:

Carlos Rogers > Clements
Bowman >>> Spikes
Better pass rush from Brooks and (now) Aldon Smith

Not huge changes.

Plus McDonald and Sopoaga playing as well, if not better than Franklin (last) year. Plus Brown in for Spencer and Culliver for Brown in nickle. Oh and Whitner and a resurgent Goldson. And a much better coach in Fangio over Manusky (who's Chargers are 27th in points allowed - we're #1).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM ]
I disagree on our personnel. We have BOTH power and speed down the middle of the field. Let's run it down:

NT/DT: Ike, Ray Mac/J. Smith - I think we can all agree that these guys have top tier speed at these positions along with top tier power.

MLB: Willis/Bowman - top tier speed + top tier power

FS/SS: Goldson/Whitner - top tier speed + top tier power

We are freaking awesome down the middle of the field. What hurts us against the better QB's is the same thing that hurts EVERY team vs the better QB's and that's because the QB's are just damn good. They can get the ball through some of the best coverages or have the ability to find the right receiver most of the time.

However, our overall defensive talent is why we ARE good in the red zone, not our size. We didn't become good against the run just this year. We have been for a long time and stuffing the run is the KEY component in the red zone because it allows for full coverage in a small space.

We have probably played the best talent at QB in terms of total QB's this year more than any other team. Take a look at what we do to the 2nd tier or bottom tier QB's. We freaking shut them down.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM ]
I think what sets SFs defense apart from the rest is that we can play 4 down linemen, 2 line backers - willis and Bowman, and then have 5 coverage players and still control the run game and cover the TE. That puts us usually in a better situation to control the pass while still stopping the run. On top of that our front 4 still gets pressure on the QB so we have all bases covered and still get pressure and then we still get turnovers while controlling the game and the points. That is winning defense. It also forces enough exchange of punts that we can win field position and have the potential to score points off the special teams units. With the defense shortening the field for the offense we have winning football.

Smith has a lot of passes dropped too.
Man there are some really good, thot provoking points here. The statement early on that we are not that much different on D talent this yr, I would disagree with. The one thing that stands out is the D coaching scheme. Also we got better at 4 of 11 D positions, or almost 40% better talentwise. Then as everyone knows when the guy playing in front of, next to or behind you is lots better than last yr, you pick up your game too. It is like a contagious disease...a good contagion. Nate was not a shut down corner, yet we are closing in on that with our recent group. Culliver is an incredible addition. Carlos has done the same. As for Bowman, what can i add that hasn't been said already. Then there is Aldon...jeez, and the guy frequently just plays in spots, but i notice he is now playing more minutes/ game.

Big Mac got healthy. P 52 has kicked it up but been unnoticed because of guys surrounding him playing lites out. He was literally dying for a cast like this. Justin...well he is just Justin....all pro justin, that is.Soap was getting it last yr, but this yr it has clicked. Thot we'd miss Takeo? Fuggedaboudit. Same for Nate. This D is loaded, and we have a very respectable bench. So what happened? Lot of talent last yr, and then the complimentary talent this yr, thanks to baalke, but the big difference is the D sets, the D calls, the D game plans, heck just everything. As much as Coach H has helped this team on O, I would say he has equaled that on the D. And don't think this is all Fangio, altho he is very good. This is JHs team O and D, and he is responsible for bringing it all together. But this thread is about the D, and it has taken that stout run D from last yr, made it better,and then added the missing pieces to it. I am impressed...really impressed by how much Coach H has done so fast. He reminds me a lot of Coach Walsh, doing the big stuff, but also concentrating on the details, one of which is strip tackling, and we are either #1 or 2 in turnover count. Add to that the ST being one of if not the best in the league, and we have a shot, overnite, of getting close to or taking part in the Big Game.

The rate this team gets better is amazing, and the competence of a phenomenal HC is striking. Goldson is better technique wise and I swear is quicker. Whitner is really coming along. We will have troubles with Eli, Ben, and Flacco, all guys who can put it on the money. That is what will be interesting for the rest of the yr. It is said the perfect pass can beat the best D. Well, we'll just have to see about that. Brady has actually been beaten this yr...3 times. Brees has been too.Eli has lost a pair, so has Ben. Flacco has done well with a great D around him. These 3 games will tell the tale of the 9ers going into the playoffs. Are we good enough yet ...to win it all?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ermex:

Agree. Think we should be hitting our stride come playoff time for sure
Share 49ersWebzone