LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 219 users in the forums

The last team we had that had a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The last team we had that had a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl?

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
The Niners had beaten Dallas 3 straight times--two in 94 and the game in 95 when Dallas was 8-1 and the Niners were 5-4---just like in 94 the Niners got a quick big early lead. That was a solid Niner team--but it lost the last regular season game to Atlanta and gave home field back to Dallas----it would have been packers at Dallas if we had beaten Atlanta---

You are losing me. It was GB at DAL after GB beat the Niners in SF.
It would have been GB at Dal instead of GB at SF the week before. Both Green Bay and Dallas won that weekend which is why the NFC title game was GB at Dallas. Niners were the # 1 seed, Dallas # 2 seed up till the last game of the regular season when the Niners lost. Dallas became the # 1 seed, the Niners # 2.
The Niners had beaten Dallas 3 straight times--two in 94 and the game in 95 when Dallas was 8-1 and the Niners were 5-4---just like in 94 the Niners got a quick big early lead. That was a solid Niner team--but it lost the last regular season game to Atlanta and gave home field back to Dallas----it would have been packers at Dallas if we had beaten Atlanta---

He meant 1994 reg seas. and NFC-CG: Niners beat Dallas + November 1995 reg season Niners (record:5-4) beat Dallas (record: 8-1) = 3 times 49ers beat cowboys.

Late in the same 1995 season, both teams had 11-4 win/loss records after the Niners had won six straight and Dallas went 3-3. Had the Niners just beaten the Falcons in the season finale and finished 12-4, even if Dallas tied their record at 12-4 (they did finish that with that record by beating the Tards in the "Jerry McGuire" MNF game), the Cowboys would lose on tie-breakers to the Niners due to SF having beaten them in their November matchup.

Niners would've won the tie-breaker and gotten the #1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs and probably just have to play (and probably beat) the Eagles @ the Stick to set up a probable rematch with Dallas. Remember the Eagles coach was a former Niners DC, Ray Rhodes.

Dallas, if they'd gotten the #2 seed would've faced the Packers (whom they had eliminated in the 1993 and 1994 playoffs already, so they had the mental edge).

So fate would most likely have been different had the Niners just won that last game against the Falcons....loss = #2 seed face the Packers / win = #1 seed face the Eagles....but instead the Niners lost that Falcons game and finished 11-5...two weeks later, they met Bret Favre for the first time....
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

He meant 1994 reg seas. and NFC-CG: Niners beat Dallas + November 1995 reg season Niners (record:5-4) beat Dallas (record: 8-1) = 3 times 49ers beat cowboys.

Late in the same 1995 season, both teams had 11-4 win/loss records after the Niners had won six straight and Dallas went 3-3. Had the Niners just beaten the Falcons in the season finale and finished 12-4, even if Dallas tied their record at 12-4 (they did finish that with that record by beating the Tards in the "Jerry McGuire" MNF game), the Cowboys would lose on tie-breakers to the Niners due to SF having beaten them in their November matchup.

Niners would've won the tie-breaker and gotten the #1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs and probably just have to play (and probably beat) the Eagles @ the Stick to set up a probable rematch with Dallas. Remember the Eagles coach was a former Niners DC, Ray Rhodes.

Dallas, if they'd gotten the #2 seed would've faced the Packers (whom they had eliminated in the 1993 and 1994 playoffs already, so they had the mental edge).

So fate would most likely have been different had the Niners just won that last game against the Falcons....loss = #2 seed face the Packers / win = #1 seed face the Eagles....but instead the Niners lost that Falcons game and finished 11-5...two weeks later, they met Bret Favre for the first time....

well said!
It would have been GB at Dal instead of GB at SF the week before. Both Green Bay and Dallas won that weekend which is why the NFC title game was GB at Dallas. Niners were the # 1 seed, Dallas # 2 seed up till the last game of the regular season when the Niners lost. Dallas became the # 1 seed, the Niners # 2.

Yeah I edited my post after I thought about it and figured that's what you meant.
another reason to always hate the Falcons (that and that stupid annoying Play60 bus commercial)...and another reason and lesson to always play EVERY regular season game to the last whistle...then worry about playoffs/seeding. NEVER look too far ahead and overlook an opponent.
Originally posted by iknoejohnyork:

gotta go 98

TO in the back.. yiiiii go chattanooga!

B.O.A.T -- G.O.A.T. -- W.O.A.T

(bust-greatest-washup)
Didn't we smack Dallas with Grbac? I think we beat Dallas again in the playoffs in '95
The 98 team would've played for the NFC Championship if Hearst wasn't injured. As I recall his spikes got caught in a seam on the carpet, lousy field.
98- Young hands off to Hearst over left tackle for a minimal gain and Hearst doesn't get up losing to Atlanta

Reading that was like a dagger to the heart.
Great point on the coordinators. God Trestman was bad.

Trestman was not bad at all.... We had one of the best offenses in the league.... Problem was the front office didn't seem to think running back was a position of need, so we were stuck with Derek Loville & Terry Kirby and you cant win in the playoffs with either one of those two as your starting RB. Everyone hates Trestman because we didn't win a Superbowl and Eddy DeBartolo Jr called him out at the press conference to fire Seifert. Funny to think there was a time when a coach going 12-4 would get fired but we had WAY higher expectations back then.

(bust-greatest-washup)

funny that so called washup is going to the hall of fame
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

(bust-greatest-washup)

funny that so called washup is going to the hall of fame

as a cowboy
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I'll never forget 1998....we would have made the Super Bowl at least if Hearst hadn't been hurt, we were a really good team that year... tho, 2001 we were 12-4 I don't remember exactly what happened in the playoffs. Who beat us?
Originally posted by Paul:
I'll never forget 1998....we would have made the Super Bowl at least if Hearst hadn't been hurt, we were a really good team that year... tho, 2001 we were 12-4 I don't remember exactly what happened in the playoffs. Who beat us?

12-4 = still finished 2nd to the stupid lambs = wild card round = one and done again @ lambeau to some stupid qb
Share 49ersWebzone