LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Can Harbaugh pull a Gruden of 2003?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
gruden walked in on a loaded team built by dungy. all he did was stand on the sidelines imitating chucky

I agree. Dungy had left a good team. Harbs walked into a mess

lol, what? this team was a mess? maybe on offense because our philosophy/scheme sucked, but our defense was just as good. the only reason they are able to be even better now, is because the offense is actually moving the ball at times and giving them a rest. he didn't walk into a mess, miami would've been a mess. he inherited an above average team and made them good.
Originally posted by WildBill:
If the ball bounces right-sure why not. One can only hope we do what only two three others have done-win it with defence and an adequate offense but very a very ST.

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
gruden walked in on a loaded team built by dungy. all he did was stand on the sidelines imitating chucky

lol, what? this team was a mess? maybe on offense because our philosophy/scheme sucked, but our defense was just as good. the only reason they are able to be even better now, is because the offense is actually moving the ball at times and giving them a rest. he didn't walk into a mess, miami would've been a mess. he inherited an above average team and made them good.

It wasn't a total mess but certainly a mess in some ways. We had talent but without any team foundation in consistency and leadership at the head coaching position or competency. The Niners required more working on the coaching side than the Bucs. They were much more further along. The defense was awesome before Gruden got there. If I remember right they went to the NFC Championship game the previous year. All Gruden had to do was get more production out of the offense which he did. I still think Gruden is goofy and overrated. After they won the SB he kept them good to above average team, but never more than that.

Harbaugh inherited a veteran talent team, but a bad team. Having a vet team help Harbaugh's coaching job tremendously. He in turn gave the players confidence in the game plan every week to be successful. I think this is why were are having success so quickly. It's a perfect situation for a new coach and a vet team with a good coaching staff.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

How did Harbaugh walk into a mess, Harbaugh pretty much walked into the same situation Gruden did. All Harbuagh and Gruden did was put the pieces in the right place and get the team to believe in them. I believe Mike Nolan walked into a mess.
Kolohe is right. The personnel isn't that much different than last year. The biggest difference is the defensive backfield and a very nice new pass rusher. The offense is still basically the same guys, but with the addition of Edwards, who hasn't really gelled yet. But, to me, this does not diminish in any way what Harbaugh has accomplished. If anything, this has shown me how important a good coaching staff is in the NFL.
Originally posted by sixbricks:
In his first year as the head coach of Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, defeating the Raiders whom he had left at the end of the preceding season. At the time, Gruden was the youngest head coach ever to win a Super Bowl. So, can Harbaugh do the same for 2011 ?

How dare you question the Harbaugh. The Harbaugh will win all the Superbowls. Then when he's done the Lombardi trophy will be renamed the HARBAUGH TROPHY.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How did Harbaugh walk into a mess, Harbaugh pretty much walked into the same situation Gruden did. All Harbuagh and Gruden did was put the pieces in the right place and get the team to believe in them. I believe Mike Nolan walked into a mess.

There was much more pressure on Gruden to succeed, but he didn't have to do much because Bucs was already a successful team. Less pressure on Harbaugh because no one expect much from this team this year. To me there's no comparison. With the lock out, installing new offense, new to the NFL, there were a lot more variables going against Harbaugh to have success this year.
Gruden didn't walk away form the Raiders, he was traded.
Wait a sec, guys. Bucs were set to win a SB talentwise, but Al Davis wanted an arm and a leg for his coach. So, Bucs bought the SB with Gruden but at a terrible cost that crippled them for yrs to come, and with no 1st or 2nd picks the next two yrs, the Bucs went downhill.

Coach Harbaugh came here and as noted above, we had great run D, no pass D. Getting rid of Nate, Takeo, Baas , Heitmann, got rid of 3 guys who were inferior, and a 4th who was so so. JH replaced them with Goodwin (magnificent acquisition), Bowman from the bench, Culliver, Carlos, and the amazing Aldon. Also he benched Rachal, and made the OL Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Snyder, and AD. AD was coached up, the right combo was put together , we got a world class back up Qb in Tolzein who can step in, Miller( an incredible story), Ginn and Akers to make us with Lee the best ST squad, and then reconstructed alex's career. The run D now looks even better, the pass D is rugged, Big Mac and soap have really come around, and our pass D with carlos and culliver is simply amazing. Alex is no longer the goat, he has been brought along, slowly by an OC/HC who will be constant for him now, and JH brot the OL along to blow out the box 8 (which has bedeviled us for 6 yrs), and suddenly, Frank is finding huge holes, and alex is protected and now is one of top rated qBs in league.

The transition is just too great to equate JH and Gruden, who did virtually nothing to improve a team with no high picks for 2 yrs. JH on the other hand, got rid of dead wood, brot along the problem children, and created a pass D almost on par with Run D. The O has been totally remade. STs best in league. Harbaugh is a lock to be best coach in NFL and we have a very decent shot at a bye in playoffs. Can JH pull a Gruden? Yup I think so, but it will have to be thru GB and that is a nightmare, especially in the ice and snow. Then we still would have to beat either ravens, steelers or Pats. That is a lot of doing, esp for the first yr. He can do it, but it will be really hard and we are going to need some big breaks.
We can win the Super Bowl this year. I'm not sure if we will. But we are one of 5 - 6 teams that has a chance. An almost flawless D and special teams keep us in nearly every game. We have a big advantage in 2 out of 3 categories in almost every game. And IMO Harbaugh is 90% of the time the best coach on the field on Sunday if not 100% of the time. Another advantage for us. Our O Line is filled with 1st rounders. We have very good RB's and Alex is playing the best ball of his career. Why couldn't we win?

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Kolohe is right. The personnel isn't that much different than last year. The biggest difference is the defensive backfield and a very nice new pass rusher. The offense is still basically the same guys, but with the addition of Edwards, who hasn't really gelled yet. But, to me, this does not diminish in any way what Harbaugh has accomplished. If anything, this has shown me how important a good coaching staff is in the NFL.

It's a pretty big jump up from SingleBrainCell to Harbaugh....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We can win the Super Bowl this year. I'm not sure if we will. But we are one of 5 - 6 teams that has a chance. An almost flawless D and special teams keep us in nearly every game. We have a big advantage in 2 out of 3 categories in almost every game. And IMO Harbaugh is 90% of the time the best coach on the field on Sunday if not 100% of the time. Another advantage for us. Our O Line is filled with 1st rounders. We have very good RB's and Alex is playing the best ball of his career. Why couldn't we win?

From saying we will probably go 1-15 to that, wow amazing what good coaching can do!!!

Harbaughs not just coaching the players hes coaching the Webzoners too!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

From saying we will probably go 1-15 to that, wow amazing what good coaching can do!!!

Harbaughs not just coaching the players hes coaching the Webzoners too!!!!

Harbaugh is much different and gives great hope...
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it would be pretty tough for us to beat Stanford in the Super Bowl

Nah. We have way more talent.
Pull a Gruden? Is that a good thing?

I was under the impression that "pulling a Gruden" was a pejorative term.

The guy won one SB with a bunch of filthy knee-bending hacks then found himself in the MNF booth. So what? Really, why are you guys so caught up with this hack?

I'd rather see Harbaugh make something, than "Pull a Gruden."
Share 49ersWebzone