LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Weakest Link on defense.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The weakest link on defense is lack of depth, esp at DL and OLB.

Even the indefatiguable Justin Smih was gassed after playing 70 snaps yesterday, and absorbing 4 NY time-consuming drives of more than 70 yards each. RJF is solid, but the club will need to have a 5th or maybe even a 6th DL for the 3-4 alignment, as this long season wears on. Dobbs and/or Williams need to step it up.

And, just in case you haven't looked at the depth chart lately, who is Ahmad Brooks back-up at the SAM? Answer: there is none.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Nov 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM ]
I think Brown has done an ok job in coverage this year for a #2 CB. Is it me or does he go long periods of time without that QB even throwing it his way, seem like that's a sign of him playing pretty got coverage. Noticed Rogers get burned more times than Brown against the Gmen
None, no weak links, we are by design giving up deep routes. You can't take away everything from an offense, it's impossible, that's why this game is great. We are fantastic against the run, we buckle down on yards after contact, we get pressure with our front four. We play deep center and give up only the deep sideline...Why?...because the deep sideline is the lowest percentage play in all of football, it's defense 101. We play mostly 2 deep man under, bend don't break, as the field shortens the geometry of the field becomes the 12th man. We do this as well as any team I have ever seen, we are as conservative on Defense as we are on offense, and it works.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
None, no weak links, we are by design giving up deep routes. You can't take away everything from an offense, it's impossible, that's why this game is great. We are fantastic against the run, we buckle down on yards after contact, we get pressure with our front four. We play deep center and give up only the deep sideline...Why?...because the deep sideline is the lowest percentage play in all of football, it's defense 101. We play mostly 2 deep man under, bend don't break, as the field shortens the geometry of the field becomes the 12th man. We do this as well as any team I have ever seen, we are as conservative on Defense as we are on offense, and it works.

Good post!
the Zoners that say that Brown gave up 1 big play yeah that might be true..............but if u review the film u can see that Manningham & Cruz had big time catches through the game against Brown good cornerbacks dont get picked on the way Brown has through the season..........yeah sure Rogers gives up plays here n there but he redeems himself with great INT'S or crucial take downs so far this year i have not seen 1 INT from Brown n when he does get the ball in the bread basket he drops it.

im just worried that if we play Aaron Rodgers or even Drew Brees in the playoffs hes going 2 be targeting Brown all day n it could get nasty..........UNLESS the front 7 puts up enough pressure to make up for soft cornerback (T.Brown) play
Originally posted by rk1642:
I think the db's on this team are a decent enough group and will get better with time.

Sure they get beat once in awhile but so does every db in the NFL. They are coming up with a decent amount of int's this year, which helps a ton.

I still say that our weakest link on D is not a player but a lack of a consistant pass rush. Eli had way too much time to throw those deep balls yesterday and if we are to be Green Bay or say the Steelers, we are gonna have to get better with this aspect of our D.
eli probably threw 10 balls off of his back foot due to the pressure
[ Edited by stepnez on Nov 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone