LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Wow, now this is a set of stats!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just saw this on ESPN, something we all have been aware of, but maybe not these stats:

49ers: 1st in best field position for offense

49ers: 1st in keeping opponents in worst field position

49ers: Tied for 1st in T.O.s

Those are amazing stats to look at, but we have been treated to being kept in terrible field position, say inside the 10 , and then Lee booms a 69 yarder, and next thing you know, the opponent is back inside his 20.

Also we have routinely had to kick from decent field position, and the opponents end up inside THEIR 10. As for tied for 1st in TOs, most everyone knew we were tied for 2nd, but evidentally moved into first courtesy of Carlos et al.

For some time now, it has been impressive to note that on three and outs, we always seem to gain 15-20 yds on exchange of punts. Multiply that by # of punts per game, and ultimately we are gaining something like an entire football field in length each game(approx 100yds or thereabouts) . I am not aware of a record kept for most yards increase in exchange of punts thruout a game, but it sure seems like we do this to everybody we play. Having said that, there may be a stat for that out there, but i have never seen it. Hands down, our ST play is the best I have ever seen on any team,and that includes Ray Guy teams...ST includes all 3 phases, Punting , KOs, and FGs, and Guy was just a punter.

Lastly, most ST excellence is seen on bad teams, who HAVE to punt all the time, but have a crummy O or D or both. We have a marvelous combination of great D, good O, and Best STs...plus a coach who is just better than his opponent.(except for one play in Dallas game).
It MIGHT'VE been Mike Sando who wrote the article about how we have the BEST points/yards stat. In other words, we don't have to move the ball a lot in order to score points. It's a good measure of TEAM-WIDE efficiency when your defense and special teams are doing well. Like you said, defense forces turnovers, while Andy Lee pins them back deep. Alex Smith and the offense make good decisions and get points when they can.

I mean, what's the point in racking up 500 yards of total offense, but you don't score a lot of points because you only kick field goals or turn the ball over? Our team scores 20-30 points, yet has a modest offensive performance in terms of yards gained. It just shows how efficient we are.
Thanks for the info.

We are winning in all 3 phases of the game, each one supporting the other. What an excellent coaching staff and team!
That's just crazy talk ... Fantasy Football has taught me that yardage and TD's are all that matter.
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
That's just crazy talk ... Fantasy Football has taught me that yardage and TD's are all that matter.

Andy Lee is the most disguised weapon on this team. He gains the club 20 yards on any punt exchange, he routinely drops the ball inside the 20, and he is the holder for all of those Akers field goals. And thIs coaching staff, to their credit, figured that out during the off-season, when they put together their formula for winning.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone