LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Harbaugh & staff playing Moneyball?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
OK, we've seen 9 games now, 8 of them wins. Clearly, this coaching staff is doing things differently. Different from the recent Niner past, and different from the rest of the NFL. Let me suggest that Harbaugh and staff are creating a bit of a Moneyball impact on the NFL. Some analogies:

Moneyball: The #1 object on offense is to avoid making a non-productive out.
Niners: The #1 object on offense is to avoid making a turnover. (Turnover ratio = +13, total of 3 INT's in 9 games).

Moneyball: Taking pitches to coax a walk is a good thing, and sets the table for the offense.
Niners: Andy Lee trading punts with the opposing punter, is a good thing (for field position), and sets the table for the offense.

Moneyball: Offensive players who avoid making outs have the most value.
Niners: Offensive players who grind it out and contribute to moving the chains (giving the defense rest), have the most value.

Moneyball: The #1 objective on defense is to keep the opponent from scoring.
Niners: The #1 objective on defense is to play field position and to keep the opponent from scoring red-zone touchdowns.

Moneyball: A team's defense should be strong up the middle.
Niners: A team's defense should be strong up the middle. (Stop the run! Keep Willis and Bowman clean).

Moneyball: Examine the entire organization and find hidden strengths to exploit.
Niners: Develop Special Teams excellence on all fronts. (Akers, Lee, Jennings, Ginn, Costanzo, Spillman, coverage units)

Moneyball: Scorn the bunt, take more pitches, and play for the big inning.
Niners: Get more offensive plays per game through innovation (onside kicks, offensive set shifts to obtain 1st downs by penalty)

I know, I know, some of these analogies might seem like a stretch. But Harbaugh and staff certainly seem to be going against the NFL's current grain, bringing innovation and a wider view of the variables at their disposal. For the first time in a decade, it's nice to have the smarter coaches on the Niners' sideline.

Refute or add to this analogy, as you see fit.
We finally have a coach who knows how to get the most out of his players

END THREAD
I applaud your effort homie but these most of the things you posted isn't anything new or groundbreaking.
Who's going to play Trent Baalke in the movie?!
Originally posted by verb1der:

cousin balky
Moneyball is based on product output whereas this team is based on talent acquired from the former regime. The A's, during the Beane time, had the lowest salary in the majors where the 49ers are in the middle of the pack/field when it comes to the cap requirements.

I don't see the similarities with both teams. Talented? Yes but the coaching has more to do with it vs. the actual output given that we almost have the same roster from last year and the W-L results are night and day.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

cousin balky

lol, love that guy!

Super Dave Osborne
Share 49ersWebzone