LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 175 users in the forums

What I noticed about our playcalling...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alright so 8-1 feels great, and coming into the NYG game, and basically throughout the whole season, I was waiting for our passing game to just dominate and show how we can be just as effective as we do with the run. All season long we'd been running on 1st and 2nd, or sometimes just 2nd or third. But in this game JH just told Alex to air it out and look what good came out of it.

I don't wanna say we abandoned the run (and maybe this had to do with Gore's injury, or the fact that we were playing a really good team), but we displayed more of our passing game and to be honest, I was expecting this to happen eventually. I'm also hoping we come out passing aggressively on Thanksgiving in the Harbowl as well as on our big MNF game against Roeihtruifnufblsbugger.

This way, not only do we establish the passing game as a threat, but Gore's runs become that much easier. I honestly see him having games similar to the one against the Lions if we come out throwing the football. I mean c'mon, when you have receivers with incredible length in Crabs and Braylon, and quick TE's in Delanie or VD, if we utilize them as best as we can, Gore's gonna be chalking up yards and first downs all day.

Yeah, we have established ourselves as a run-first offense, but with our receivers I think we can be just as deadly if not more.

Your thoughts?
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Nov 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
i'm still too hungover from the game to respond
I think we are dangerous throwing the ball. But I hope that the misperception about being a run-first team continues. To catch opponents napping.
I think the idea is to systematically make it difficult for opponents to prepare.

Start by establishing an identity as a run-first team, then air it out. Once teams start dropping into coverage, ground and pound.

When the playoffs come, use formations and plays that have been practiced for the whole year, just waiting for the right situation. (Like "Sprint Right Option" for example)
It's balance. They throw a lot on 1st down but still runt eh ball a lot. It's doing what the defense isn't expecting. My god we have coaching. I think the game plan will remain balanced. I don't think they will go to heavy on the run or too heavy on the pass.
Quote:
The last two weeks you guys have played opponents that have pretty much come out and said, "to stop the 49ers, stop Frank Gore." Yesterday Gore, zero yards, you guys still win, how important is that for you guys to put that out there on film, or just in your mindset that you don't need Frank running for 120 yards to still win a football game?

"We've said it before, we think it's really important, we think it's really important to be good at both phases. We'd really like to be a 50/50. Throw it 50, pass it 50 percent of the time, run it 50 percent of the time. Be good at both. And I think we're making progress in both the running game and the passing game. But, the importance of it is, back to another baseball analogy, fast ball, curve, you need both."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/11/inside-the-49ers/jim-harbaugh-on-alex-smith-hell-get-the-game-ball-dont-print-that/

Our offense is slowly getting there.
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
I think the idea is to systematically make it difficult for opponents to prepare.

Start by establishing an identity as a run-first team, then air it out. Once teams start dropping into coverage, ground and pound.

When the playoffs come, use formations and plays that have been practiced for the whole year, just waiting for the right situation. (Like "Sprint Right Option" for example)

Agree 100%. I think Harbaugh is trying to create a nightmare for teams to game plan against us.

The Giants own players were saying they didn't expect our offense to come out with that passing game, and I think they really weren't prepared. And lining up Crabtree in the backfield on the 2pt conversion, LOL! I saw that before the snap and I was thinking "Harbaugh, you are one crazy SOB."

Some people might call them gadget plays, but I think Harbaugh is just constantly looking for an edge on every single play, it seems like every play on offense has a purpose and is part of a design. I'm not use to this good coaching stuff, its so new to see.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
It's good. been a decade since I've said that.
I agreee w/you and have thought so for quite a while.

It seemed every week we were passing just enough to win and get first downs. Nothing to take real notice of as a trend. Then the Giants game.

Roman said something like, "Well, I guess the cat is out of the bag now." Our coaches knew all along and were waiting to use it when we had to.

As our team gets better every week, I think he passing game will be very effective against top tier teams.
JH is doing the same thing that Walsh did except vice versa. Everyone knew about Joe and Rice and Taylor and Jones, if he saw on film you could run on them, he had unleashed craig and rathman, not often, but he did so. Same intent here.

My only concern is the play calling when we have 1st and goal. It seems we either run 3x or pass 3x, need more balance and roll out plays with run/pass option.
i was actually trying to make sense of the Roeliessdofuisdbugger name
It's unpredictable, creative, the defences do not know what is comming.
How many times have we burned defences with long runs to the back side of an unbalanced line, probably in every game.ROman and Harbaugh are doing a great job of adding brain to brawn and it's showing.
NY went with a 5-3 look at times, daring us to throw, so we did. JH was spot on in his preparation he assumed the G-spots would crowd the line and pack the box to keep Gore, and our run game from taking the ball out of Elle' may Manning's hands. I believe the word Genius would be an appropriate term for the game plan!
Originally posted by Loco49er:
My only concern is the play calling when we have 1st and goal. It seems we either run 3x or pass 3x, need more balance and roll out plays with run/pass option.

This. Our playcalling is actually kind of bad at the goal line but rocks everywhere else on the field.

MINUS THE CRABTREE PLAY! That was a thing of beauty.
Share 49ersWebzone