There are 192 users in the forums

Thoughts/Feelings about new 49er fans aka bandwagoners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's the nature of sports. When a team is winning, people feel good and want to be part of it. I remember classmates in HS who became Denver fans but they've never even been to Denver. Then there were the SheCawks, Miami Heat, Warrior, Clippers fans.

As a Lakers fan growing up, I found the Clippers fans were the worst because they think they run LA. What's worse is that many were Laker fans that changed to the Clippers when we weren't doing that well. Now those fans are coming back! That's even worse than Niner bandwagon fans. (Curious how many band wagon fans GSW lost this year?)

For our beloved Niners, i just say "the more the merrier!" Bandwagon fans are just the nature of the biz. You want bandwagon fans because 1) there's more news coverage on the Niners 2) there's more gear selection to buy 3) it means we're doing well!
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
My dad was an usher at Kesar '46-'49, he considers every last one of you a bandwagoner

Best regards to Mr WooLick senior, but I think there is one further point about bandwagoners which is being missed in this thread. Anyone who started supporting the team between 1999 and 2010 deserves your Father's respect. With a brief burst in 2001-2, we were terrible. A bandwagoner, in my opinion, is someone who taps into a team because they are enjoying success. With the strong implication that, when things get bad they will bail out.

I was joking. I am sure my dad has never used the term. He is about the team, not the fans and he isn't judgy.

Well, no one can call him a bandwagoner!

Nope...He got to be an usher because he was a high school football player at Washington HS in SF, he was at every home game those first four years. He played some games there as well.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Dec 10, 2019 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Love them, get as many in the wagon as possible!!! That's how you get a good away presence at opposing stadiums.

This. And have minimal seats available for opposing fans at home games. As someone who didn't miss a home game last year, it was miserable having so many away fans surrounding me. The Giants and Bears fans were the worst.
full back Kyle Juszczyk said a few weeks ago, that the fan base is different, that there is more energy....when the 49ers played in L.A against the Rams, they were a sea of reds, bt its understandable...L.A didn't have a football team in the last 20 years. and if you hear the the Saints broadcast on the Radio. they said they never seen the other teams color as much in there stadium....and the 49ers were in the game of the week 3 straight weeks, and even the Monday night game against that heartbreaking loss...that was one of the best MNF games ever and the best MNF game in years....and people consider the 49ers at Saints game of the year...and every teams fans has these kind of fans.....fans that are causal fans, when the team is not doing good, they don't pay attention bt if the team is playing good, then they will start watching it.....bt there are hardcore fans in every team, and being a 49er faithful is a hardcore fan for the 49ers.....before the Jim Harbaugh era came...we went through horrible seasons, they set low records on both sides of the ball, bt when Harbaugh came. we loved it....its the same thing with Coach Shanahan/ G.M lynch first came....we thought we will have a good season bt we didn't...yes we had some success bt most of the time it was horrible. bt this season. our 49ers are doing great,....the 49er faithful stuck by this team through the worst times and now they can compete to play for the post season. it makes more sweeter.....and the 49ers need that 1# seed in the NFC...both Sherman and Ford got hurt and they will miss couple of weeks...and if we get that first round, they can get a bye in the postseason, and get extra time to get health
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
It's the nature of sports. When a team is winning, people feel good and want to be part of it. I remember classmates in HS who became Denver fans but they've never even been to Denver. Then there were the SheCawks, Miami Heat, Warrior, Clippers fans.

As a Lakers fan growing up, I found the Clippers fans were the worst because they think they run LA. What's worse is that many were Laker fans that changed to the Clippers when we weren't doing that well. Now those fans are coming back! That's even worse than Niner bandwagon fans. (Curious how many band wagon fans GSW lost this year?)

For our beloved Niners, i just say "the more the merrier!" Bandwagon fans are just the nature of the biz. You want bandwagon fans because 1) there's more news coverage on the Niners 2) there's more gear selection to buy 3) it means we're doing well!

Less warriors gear being worn around, but at least theres cheaper tickets to check out the new chase center. Next year when were on another championship run, they'll be back.
Originally posted by Team49ers:

Less warriors gear being worn around, but at least theres cheaper tickets to check out the new chase center. Next year when were on another championship run, they'll be back.

I would say that window has closed. Permanently. Unless you can turn back the hands of time or discover a fountain of youth.

This isn't to say they won't return to their winning ways. They probably will. But good enough to win another title? The Warriors? Unless the team plans to sign another splashy free agent, I think that window has shut.
Originally posted by flava11:
full back Kyle Juszczyk said a few weeks ago, that the fan base is different, that there is more energy....when the 49ers played in L.A against the Rams, they were a sea of reds, bt its understandable...L.A didn't have a football team in the last 20 years. and if you hear the the Saints broadcast on the Radio. they said they never seen the other teams color as much in there stadium....and the 49ers were in the game of the week 3 straight weeks, and even the Monday night game against that heartbreaking loss...that was one of the best MNF games ever and the best MNF game in years....and people consider the 49ers at Saints game of the year...and every teams fans has these kind of fans.....fans that are causal fans, when the team is not doing good, they don't pay attention bt if the team is playing good, then they will start watching it.....bt there are hardcore fans in every team, and being a 49er faithful is a hardcore fan for the 49ers.....before the Jim Harbaugh era came...we went through horrible seasons, they set low records on both sides of the ball, bt when Harbaugh came. we loved it....its the same thing with Coach Shanahan/ G.M lynch first came....we thought we will have a good season bt we didn't...yes we had some success bt most of the time it was horrible. bt this season. our 49ers are doing great,....the 49er faithful stuck by this team through the worst times and now they can compete to play for the post season. it makes more sweeter.....and the 49ers need that 1# seed in the NFC...both Sherman and Ford got hurt and they will miss couple of weeks...and if we get that first round, they can get a bye in the postseason, and get extra time to get health

Spoken like a true bandwagoner

I'm kidding. I don't give a f**k if you like a team because they're winning. A fan is a fan. The only thing that grinds my gears is when they try to act like they've been diehard for decades.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.
[ Edited by Dsoto87 on Dec 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM ]
Bandwagon fans don't bother me. They can be very entertaining at times.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Team49ers:

I would say that window has closed. Permanently. Unless you can turn back the hands of time or discover a fountain of youth.

This isn't to say they won't return to their winning ways. They probably will. But good enough to win another title? The Warriors? Unless the team plans to sign another splashy free agent, I think that window has shut.

I'm a die hard Niner Laker fan but love me some Steph. Plus Klay is from our neighborhood and his dad is a class act (met him outside the LA Forum and 30 yrs later at our gym lol)

Well, Warriors fans...when one door closes, another opens. Niners baby!!!
Come on in.....as long as you didn't ditch highlighter yellow or green or whatever crap color they wearin in Seattle for us.

I don't respect them putos one bit
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
Come on in.....as long as you didn't ditch highlighter yellow or green or whatever crap color they wearin in Seattle for us.

Haha

I swear 25% of NFL fan base switches teams yearly by who is in the top 5.

People I never even knew watched football are suddenly Ravens fans
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Bandwagon fans don't bother me. They can be very entertaining at times.

Yup. Specially when they fall into Sus' traps.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:

Haha

I swear 25% of NFL fan base switches teams yearly by who is in the top 5.

People I never even knew watched football are suddenly Ravens fans

Last year they were chief fans
We welcome all newcomers.
Share 49ersWebzone