LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 164 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't get why people are so upset/shocked. The only person we lost who we weren't expecting was Willis. But he was injured last year and our defense still fared well. Most expected j smith to retire and most expected Gore not to be back. Yeah it sucks but like some have said, it was expected!!

We are filling some of our holes with some solid FA pick ups in Dockett and Torrey Smith. I'd say we upgraded in the WR department and maybe a slight downgrade in the DL department. And I'm waiting to see more information on the Bruce miller situation, but with trey Millard waiting in the wings im not super concerned. The FB position is a dying breed and I think Millard could end up being a better FB than Bruce.

I think our starting ILB this year in Bowman and Borland is better than our starting unit of Willis and Wilhoite last year and our defense was top 5. We all know Baalke is excellent in replacing players whether through FA or the draft. We already have guys in place to fill in nicely and we haven't even started FA or this years draft yet! Let's just wait and see how the offseason plays out.

If we do end up getting Torrey smith and we resign Culliver and draft a solid WR, DL, and OG/OT I'd say we are a better team talent wise than who we had on the field last year.

Sure Gore/Willis/jSmith were leaders but we still have Boldin, Bethea, Bowman, Dockett, Kap, and Staley who are very strong leaders as well. So in that department I think we will be fine as well. And to think we will have 15+mil in cap space and 9 draft picks I think we will be just fine. It hurts to lose some of our favorite 49ers but don't think the sky is falling, in the end we will have a top 5 roster talent wise. Go Niners! Keep your head up boys!
So I am a positive thinker and you guys can hate me if you want! I wanted harbaugh to stay gore to stay. I can't blame ownership for Willis wanting to retire. I'm thankful we have Borland is he Willis no!! But of he played the whole season he would of been rookie of the year! He is a niner one of us! So to bash him and say he isn't big or Willis who is? Like it or not he's the future. Crabtree sucks. Of this team gets Torrey smith they upgrade. That is a super bowl wide receiver core plus Vernon Davis! He will come back! Carlos Hyde is a beast!! Is he frank gore?? No. But that dude is a beast!! I'm glad he is a niner! We still have bowman,kap,now dockett of you haven't watch him on tape he was the cardinals leader! Staley, bathea pro bowler. Reid, boldin. Vernon Davis will be back! We have some great players we should feel blessed!!
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
I don't get why people are so upset/shocked. The only person we lost who we weren't expecting was Willis. But he was injured last year and our defense still fared well. Most expected j smith to retire and most expected Gore not to be back. Yeah it sucks but like some have said, it was expected!!

We are filling some of our holes with some solid FA pick ups in Dockett and Torrey Smith. I'd say we upgraded in the WR department and maybe a slight downgrade in the DL department. And I'm waiting to see more information on the Bruce miller situation, but with trey Millard waiting in the wings im not super concerned. The FB position is a dying breed and I think Millard could end up being a better FB than Bruce.

I think our starting ILB this year in Bowman and Borland is better than our starting unit of Willis and Wilhoite last year and our defense was top 5. We all know Baalke is excellent in replacing players whether through FA or the draft. We already have guys in place to fill in nicely and we haven't even started FA or this years draft yet! Let's just wait and see how the offseason plays out.

If we do end up getting Torrey smith and we resign Culliver and draft a solid WR, DL, and OG/OT I'd say we are a better team talent wise than who we had on the field last year.

Sure Gore/Willis/jSmith were leaders but we still have Boldin, Bethea, Bowman, Dockett, Kap, and Staley who are very strong leaders as well. So in that department I think we will be fine as well. And to think we will have 15+mil in cap space and 9 draft picks I think we will be just fine. It hurts to lose some of our favorite 49ers but don't think the sky is falling, in the end we will have a top 5 roster talent wise. Go Niners! Keep your head up boys!

Great post. We have a very large fan base who needs anti depressants right now. Love the voice of reason!
Originally posted by Hoganrick1:
Thank you positive fans!! I can't even look at this board on Sundays, most fans wanna fire the coach, gore,kap, anyone that drops a pass, Willis for hurting his toe, bowman for not recovering fast enough, boldin for being slow, iupat for missing pass blocks, Vernon for hurting his back. And on and on and on. great teams lose great players and win!!! Look at the pats!! My wife is from Seattle I go to every Seahawks niner game. And they alway talk about the Hawks so I loved to see them lose!! Let's look at what the current super bowl champs are dealing with. Released Vince wilfork. Today they refused Revis bonus. So he is a free agent. They agreed to release browner. So they lost there all pro nose tackle hall of famer corner in Revis and Brandon browner! So basically the run stopper and secondary! Great teams lose great players and move on!

And I bet NE 's media had no issues with those moves. Fans OK with it. Not jumping off the ledges.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
uhh. Seriously? JSmith, Gore and Willis are all HOF Caliber players, Hyde, Borland, and Tank aren't anywhere near that.

I can't believe how many think Borland is better than Willis, he isn't as athletic as Willis is.

Tank needs serious development, or else Baalke screwed that pick up big time.

Hyde is the only one I have faith in, but Hunter, lmao, two injuries in 2 seasons, Achilles, and ACL, he may never be the same again.

And then Harbaugh, uhh, I'm so sick of this crap witht he front office, firing a good/great coach, and hiring an inexperienced yes man. This is all 2003-2010 again. The fact that no one sees it, or believes it laughable. I dont care how talented the roster is, if we end up 0-5 t start what will people say? Heads better be flying fast.

Sorry If I am not optimistic right now, but I am sick of this bs of an ownership reverting to their old ways.

I just heard on NFL network that Patrick Willis had issues with both feet, and while working out felt like he could not return to his old form. So as the OP stated, Borland is younger and not injured, so he is better than an injured P Willis. Turf toe is a beatch

Also on NFL Network, Gore is going to be 32, very few backs with that many carries do well after 32. I am 100% fine with letting Frank walk in place of younger players at RB.

Justin Smith, huge props and wanted him to stay one last year. He still might, one can only hope.

Crabtree, do not let the door hit you on the way out. Boldin, hopefully T. Smith will pick up his slack.

Good thing they did not trade Wilhoite, the starters might be Borland and Wilhoite.

Tank Carradine, please be watching game tape and report ready.
Originally posted by Baldie:
There officially isn't any left over guys from the older regimes. Gore, crabs, Justin, and Willis were those guys.

Vernon, Staley, Brooks and Boone are still here bro
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thank you positive fans!! I can't even look at this board on Sundays, most fans wanna fire the coach, gore,kap, anyone that drops a pass, Willis for hurting his toe, bowman for not recovering fast enough, boldin for being slow, iupat for missing pass blocks, Vernon for hurting his back. And on and on and on. great teams lose great players and win!!! Look at the pats!! My wife is from Seattle I go to every Seahawks niner game. And they alway talk about the Hawks so I loved to see them lose!! Let's look at what the current super bowl champs are dealing with. Released Vince wilfork. Today they refused Revis bonus. So he is a free agent. They agreed to release browner. So they lost there all pro nose tackle hall of famer corner in Revis and Brandon browner! So basically the run stopper and secondary! Great teams lose great players and move on!

And I bet NE 's media had no issues with those moves. Fans OK with it. Not jumping off the ledges.
That's New Englands ha think about how many players they Lose and stay on top year after year after year. So no I'm sure they aren't jumping off ledges just like this year when Tom Brady was done in week 4 lol
That's New Englands ha think about how many players they Lose and stay on top year after year after year. So no I'm sure they aren't jumping off ledges just like this year when Tom Brady was done in week 4 lol

Smarter fan base for sure.

Smarter fan base for sure.
The best teams always lose players and come back if the niners are one of the great teams they do the same!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Get real, bro.

The 49ers as we know it is finished. It all starts from up top, if Jed York keeps up with his BS this is what happens.

Almost overnight, the 49ers, a team that was highly respected in the NFL which most players would love to play for has been reduced to a pile of rubble. Noone wants to play or coach for the 9ers subsequent to the firing of Harbaugh and hiring of Tomsula. People don't want to work for such a badly managed organization.

We won't even get to 8-8 this season, 7-9 if we are very lucky and 4-12 is not too far-fetched at this point.

• nj9er
  • Veteran
Won't lose a step? Are you serious? Rattay can replace Garcia, Brandon Lloyd will fill in for TO and Barlow is a great replacement for Hearst. This is what I said in the early 2000s. I bought it then but I'm.l not buying it now. This is a sell PSLs all day long and then take the money and run. I hope the York's try Scrooge McDucking into their daddy's money vault and split there skulls open.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

Great post. We have a very large fan base who needs anti depressants right now. Love the voice of reason!

I think this is a great post as well. I don't think this will be the decimation event most folks think this is. It's definitely a reload, and a lot of beloved players will be gone. Many of those players heading out however are either winding down or are guys who I think can be replaced (with the exception of course of Willis, that one really hurts).

Gore is running out of steam. He's a wonderful player, but the last 2-3 seasons he's really fallen off a cliff toward the end of the season. Right now I think he's best suited as a rotational back. Unfortunately Gore isn't the bell cow back he once was. Hyde should be able to replace a lot of Gore's production. And don't discount the Niners picking up a back in rounds 3-4. Depth at RB is always good to have.

We all had more or less expected Smith to retire. Dockett is a great pickup that should be able to replicate Smith's performance. He won't be quite the run stopper, but he can definitely put some pressure on the QB. That should help guys like Aldon and Lynch. He'll also provide the needed veteran leadership for the younger guys on the team.

If Crabtree is out, I think Torrey Smith is a complete upgrade. He's faster, runs nice routes and can compete for the jump ball. Crabtree has demonstrated a lack of ability in my opinion to consistently out physical cornerbacks in competing for contested throws. Torrey Smith will bring a dimension to this offense it has really lacked since Kaepernick took over at QB. And quite frankly it is a dimension that will compliment Kap as a passer. I'm excited to see Torrey in a Niners uniform and hope the signing goes through. He was fun to watch when he played in Baltimore and should be an exciting player in red and gold.

I absolutely will not say Borland can replace Willis, no one can. Willis is one of the best to ever play the position. He rarely missed tackles and was rarely out of position. His combination of speed, size, instinct and tackling ability was simply unreal. However, Borland displayed at times a preternatural ability to diagnose a play and close in on it. For a guy his size he played much bigger and was a joy to watch. If Bowman comes back healthy, I don't think the drop off will be nearly as bad as some would expect. I absolutely love Willis and wish him all the best wherever his life should take him. Truly a class act and an amazing human being.

Iupati, should he leave could be hard to replace. But I think we'll see the Niners shift from this run heavy blocking line to something more balanced. This should give Kap some more time in the pocket and allow him to further develop as a passer. I don't know who replaces Iupati, but with his sub par pass blocking I think this could be a net positive. That remains to be seen, but I do have a degree of faith in this one.

Bruce Miller, after the arrest is probably done as a Niner. I'll hate to see him go, but fullbacks are somewhat interchangeable. Most guys on the Zone will probably be happy to never see him split out wide again, so that could be a net positive there. I thought Miller was a great "jack of all trades" kind of guy and a great blocker, but I have faith the Niners will fill this spot. Perhaps Vance McDonald takes a step forward and becomes the Swiss Army knife guy.

The Niners secondary should be fine as well. I would hate to lose Culliver if he does bail, but the Niners should have enough depth to make up for it. The draft is yet to come and depending on how free agency works out, this is probably an area to be addressed should Cully leave. Then again, guys like Johnson have shown they probably deserve a crack at the starting lineup as well.

All this is to say the Niners aren't in nearly the poor position it seems they could be in. Depth will be tested this coming season to be sure, but the team still has a lot of talent. It has been an absolutely brutal Monday, and quite possibly the worst series of events I have witnessed for any team, in virtually any sport. But it's not like the Niners are now devoid of talent. Keeping up with the Hawks will definitely be tough, especially with Marshawn back, but I think the Niners will at minimum compete for a wildcard if not for the division.
3 more NFCCG!!!!

Easy
I'm not saying it won't hurt but will complaining help? If you don't wanna watch don't haha that simple! What good does it do to complain?? Let's all complain and the Yorks will sell the niners!!! Nope! Just like if you hate your boss enough he will quit ha! So like I just keep saying if you don't like it don't go to niner games and don't buy Sunday ticket! I am a niners fan, so I don't focus on all the bad and things us fans can't control I think about all the good this team has left!
  • obx49
  • Veteran

Belicheat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ron Jeremy
Share 49ersWebzone