LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 132 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Im with ab on this. You cant lose that many performers and expect very green talent to fill the void. Npne of the new guys have the physical tools of the departed. Thats the reality.

So...what did we see out of the guys who filled in for those dearted guys last year...?

Hyde, Borland, tank did very well...and that is a reality

On the field we'll be fine.

Emotionally we'll be a wreck as fans. We all kind of got closure with Gore and Justin Smith. We knew we were probably watching the end of long and successful 49er careers.

But with Willis, we had no idea that him limping off the field in STL would be his last moment in a 49er uniform. Its crazy. It seemed like nothing. Now hes gone? He still had several great years left. We got robbed from the last third of his career.

Willis retiring is a gut punch that is really going to be hard to get over.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Im with ab on this. You cant lose that many performers and expect very green talent to fill the void. Npne of the new guys have the physical tools of the departed. Thats the reality.

So...what did we see out of the guys who filled in for those dearted guys last year...?

Hyde, Borland, tank did very well...and that is a reality

On the field we'll be fine.

Emotionally we'll be a wreck as fans. We all kind of got closure with Gore and Justin Smith. We knew we were probably watching the end of long and successful 49er careers.

But with Willis, we had no idea that him limping off the field in STL would be his last moment in a 49er uniform. Its crazy. It seemed like nothing. Now hes gone? He still had several great years left. We got robbed from the last third of his career.

Willis retiring is a gut punch that is really going to be hard to get over.

Yeah it's tough...but the last three years he's been getting injured and missing games. So it's not like a Barry sanders retirement...pw injuries took a toll on him
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think Justin's work ethic will be a big loss (b/c he works out at our facilities and Gore works out in Miami). Gore's vocal leadership, for sure! We just have to keep perspective here...we can replace their production no problem...and somewhere, a long time ago, they got their shot too and became the leaders we know today. Let's hope Hyde and Tank/Dockette/Dial, etc. step up and take the reigns!

to that.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Tank/Dorsey/Dockett

Aldon/Bowman/Borland/Lynch

Is still a pretty darn good front 7. Especially if Tank is the real deal.
There is no doubt in my mind he is rushing the passer.
Well done Corv.

For last year:
Can we replace 1,100 yards rushing (Gore)?
Can we replace 700 yards receiving (Crabtree)?
Can we replace a 1-trick pony LG (power pull-guard)?
Can we replace 43 tackles and 5 sacks (Justin)?
Can we replace 34 tackles (Willis)?

No question! Can we replace the leadership? That remains to be seen.

Also, while focused on the "losses" don't forget about the experience the rookies got last year AND the 18 players coming back from I.R. plus the moves we already made pre-FA.
This really puts it in perspective.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
8-8 last year and we just got worse. lol at this thread.

Torrey>Crabs
Docket>Smith
Borland got a lot of time last year and is damn good but you guys are also forgetting we played the entire season with no Bowman who is one of the best in the game and Aldon for most of the season. We have all those guys back and healthy. Also, Hyde did look better then Gore last year up until he got hurt. Just as many rush Td's as Gore. I think they will add someone like Bush or Matthews to help Hyde. If so, then its an upgrade on the field, maybe not in the locker room but on the field
I am really curious what 4pm today brings.....The media is pretty much digging the grave and has the epitaph ready. Wouldn't it be amazing if our front office new all of this was coming and has the answers lined up like dominos ready to fall? I mean we have money now, we have flexibility to come up with even more. We have no idea who they are targeting in free agency beyond the Wide Receiver position. What if for example they bring in a couple of big names like Revis and Wilfork? You already have Docket and Torrey. You know that Hyde and Borland will be good enough and while maybe not better at least bring youth and enthusiasm trading a big play here and there for more mistakes. If Bow and Aldon are at full power our LB corp is still nasty, We still would have a deep rotation on the D-line and we would be better in the secondary.

Lets be clear...yesterday was one of the worst single days in the history of any franchise....but if they knew it was coming. With out depth already here and a couple of smart free agent moves, we can recover.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Well done Corv.

For last year:

Also, while focused on the "losses" don't forget about the experience the rookies got last year AND the 18 players coming back from I.R. plus the moves we already made pre-FA.

So much this
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
uhh. Seriously? JSmith, Gore and Willis are all HOF Caliber players, Hyde, Borland, and Tank aren't anywhere near that.

I can't believe how many think Borland is better than Willis, he isn't as athletic as Willis is.

Tank needs serious development, or else Baalke screwed that pick up big time.

Hyde is the only one I have faith in, but Hunter, lmao, two injuries in 2 seasons, Achilles, and ACL, he may never be the same again.

And then Harbaugh, uhh, I'm so sick of this crap witht he front office, firing a good/great coach, and hiring an inexperienced yes man. This is all 2003-2010 again. The fact that no one sees it, or believes it laughable. I dont care how talented the roster is, if we end up 0-5 t start what will people say? Heads better be flying fast.

Sorry If I am not optimistic right now, but I am sick of this bs of an ownership reverting to their old ways.

Justin Smith is 36. Frank Gore is 32. These guys aren't what they used to be.

I agree that Willis is better than Borland, if that toe actually got sorted out, which I don't think it did.

You'd think fans that saw Joe Montana get traded would be better prepared for moves like these. Guys get old and then they get replaced. It's how the NFL works and will always work.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM ]
Originally posted by mtl_49er:
Originally posted by THEB:
Baalke has been preparing for this day to come. We already have or are set to acquire all the replacements for the guys we lost, and some of them are better than who we lost.

Frank Gore - He will be replaced with a tandem of Hyde and Hunter (if hunter can recover from the injury) I firmly believe that even if we just had Hyde, it will be a slight improvement in speed and stamina. We will lose a team leader, but whos to say Carlos cant step into that role until he has the chance to?

Justin Smith - He wasnt great by any means last year, and we have Dockett coming in to help solidify the d line.

Patrick Willis - I can confidently say that Borland is better than Pat right now. Pat was obviously better in his prime, but right now is what counts, and what Borland did last year was spectacular.

Michael Crabtree - Bringing in Torrey Smith will be a HUGE upgrade over Crabtree, who most of us are ready to let go of.

Jim Harbaugh and Staff - Jim & staff are seriously the only loss that im not confident we have replaced with equal or better talent, but i have to hold judgement until i see Tomsulas staff perform.

no. Willis when healthy is incredible. Borland is solid, but small and not great in coverage.
I'm still not certain he will be better than Wilhoite.

This. Also add not sure Torrey Smith is a better WR than Crabtree, however he is faster.

Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by leebert81:
Well done Corv.

For last year:

So much this

You bet. My heart was hurting too (esp. regarding Willis) but context helps a lot and the reality is, Willis, Justin and Gore aren't able to give what they used to give...clearly. When that happens, you better have a transition plan. And we did.

Can we replace 1,100 yards rushing (Gore)? - before FA and the draft even starts we have Carlos Hyde; Kendall Hunter, Phillip Tanner, Jarryd Hayne, Alfonso Smith & Kendall Gaskins. Only two teams rushed more than we did last year. Is there any doubt we could collect 1,100 yards with Hyde let alone Hyde/Hunter/FA/Draft/Hayne, etc.?
Can we replace 700 yards receiving (Crabtree)? - imagine a WR that plays as passionately as Boldin...his name is Torrey Smith/Patton/Ellington. Now they'll finally get to show it on the field. And don't be surprised if we nab someone like DGB (prototypical WCO WR for Boldin's replacement next year)
Can we replace a 1-trick pony LG (power pull-guard)? - Looney alone is already a good pulling G and probably better in pass protection but we're already expecting great competition with Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin (a slimmed downed MM!). We'll be moving to a zone blocking scheme most likely so we won't need the "power" (aka fatties) as much anymore.
Can we replace 43 tackles and 5 sacks (Justin)? - Dockett put up similar numbers prior to his injury. What we also forget is that with Mangini, we may not run the same vanilla scheme (everyone just plays their position and follows assignments); Justin's "job" was to either bull rush and/or tie up two OL for Aldon to wreak havoc. With this front 7, there are endless uses for creative blitzes and attacking holes along the DL. Also, ALL of these players are versatile meaning you can move them all over the play to provide additional pre-snap confusion. We're expecting big jumps in play in year 2 for Dial over at LDE (natural position) and Tank (who came on big time at the end of the year with additional snaps). Don't forget about Okoye (year 3) and Ramsey (red-shirted) as well. Dorsey and Williams will be healthy together for the first time ever and bring different skill sets.
RDE: Tank Carradine; Kaleb Ramsey & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Quinton Dial/Darnell Dockett; Tony Jerrod-Eddie
NT: Glenn Dorsey/Ian Williams; Mike Purcell & Garrison Smith
WILL: Aldon Smith; Corey Lemonier
SAM: Aaron Lynch; Ahmad Brooks & Chase Thomas
Can we replace 34 tackles (Willis)? - Borland alone averaged 11.25 tackles a game and was on pace for 180 tackles (40 more than Bowman's best season and 10 more than Willis). He also was on pace to have twice as many STF's over both. Coverage, clearly, he's not as good but coverage was also the one weakness of Willis (not Bowman). Also, will Mangini ask his ILB's to be in coverage so much or play down hill? Chances are, he'll use more DB's on the field.

Did I mention that we start FA today? We have some $22-25M now. Did I mentioned in a month and 1/2, we'll be picking #15 with 9 picks at the moment?

We lost leaders and older 49er icons who gave us tremendous memories when they were at their peaks and performing at a high level. But don't discredit talent. We have a ton of it and EVERYONE has us pegged for last place. This team is primed to shock everyone. But the intelligent fan should be able to see the roster for what it is...top 3-5 talent-wise and probably the best in terms of depth and experienced depth. It will now just be on the coaches to "teach them up" and put them in the best position to succeed, while running similar systems, with better game planning, situational awareness, series of calls, etc.

Bottom line: FA starts today and Baalke has already been very busy filling out the 90 (most active during the pre-FA period) and a whole lot of cap space just opened up for us. We still don't have many "needs" which is a great sign. I still don't even think I can find a spot where a rookie would "start" this year!
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
uhh. Seriously? JSmith, Gore and Willis are all HOF Caliber players, Hyde, Borland, and Tank aren't anywhere near that.

I can't believe how many think Borland is better than Willis, he isn't as athletic as Willis is.

Tank needs serious development, or else Baalke screwed that pick up big time.

Hyde is the only one I have faith in, but Hunter, lmao, two injuries in 2 seasons, Achilles, and ACL, he may never be the same again.

And then Harbaugh, uhh, I'm so sick of this crap witht he front office, firing a good/great coach, and hiring an inexperienced yes man. This is all 2003-2010 again. The fact that no one sees it, or believes it laughable. I dont care how talented the roster is, if we end up 0-5 t start what will people say? Heads better be flying fast.

Sorry If I am not optimistic right now, but I am sick of this bs of an ownership reverting to their old ways.

Justin Smith is 36. Frank Gore is 32. These guys aren't what they used to be.

I agree that Willis is better than Borland, if that toe actually got sorted out, which I don't think it did.

You'd think fans that saw Joe Montana got traded would be better prepared for moves like these. Guys get old and then they get replaced. It's how the NFL works and will always work.

Willis IS the best ILB in football...2 year ago. Since then, he's battled way more injuries than we know. So many in fact, the toe is still jacked up after surgery AND his other foot is jacked up too. Having time off probably demonstrated to himself how beat up his body was, all the aches and pains, etc. Per NFLN he came back here, worked out hard and his body just wasn't responding anymore. This dude has played 112 games (only 20 the past 2 years) and racked up 950 tackles. 950!

The Patrick Willis TODAY is not the Patrick Willis of 2 years ago so yes, Borland IS more productive now and will be going forward, even if Willis started today next to him. We as fans get nostalgic. It's what we do. But the reality is we could end up BETTER with Gore, Willis and Smith gone. I know that sounds crazy right now to think about.
Here's what will make me feel a little more confident in this off season of debacles and circumstance:

Kilgore comes back healthy and the oline is able to become a cohesive unit.

VD returns to form.

We sign Torrey Smith

Carrier or Millard show they are equal replacements to Delanie Walker.

Bowman is healthy.

We re-sign Cox.

We find a power back to back up Hyde.

Carradine steps up which allows...

Aldon to play like Aldon.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I am really curious what 4pm today brings.....The media is pretty much digging the grave and has the epitaph ready. Wouldn't it be amazing if our front office new all of this was coming and has the answers lined up like dominos ready to fall? I mean we have money now, we have flexibility to come up with even more. We have no idea who they are targeting in free agency beyond the Wide Receiver position. What if for example they bring in a couple of big names like Revis and Wilfork? You already have Docket and Torrey. You know that Hyde and Borland will be good enough and while maybe not better at least bring youth and enthusiasm trading a big play here and there for more mistakes. If Bow and Aldon are at full power our LB corp is still nasty, We still would have a deep rotation on the D-line and we would be better in the secondary.

Lets be clear...yesterday was one of the worst single days in the history of any franchise....but if they knew it was coming. With out depth already here and a couple of smart free agent moves, we can recover.

I doubt teams sign their guys right away. Just because i think they will try to hide the tampering and Make it look like they just started hard numbers.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Here's what will make me feel a little more confident in this off season of debacles and circumstance:

Kilgore comes back healthy and the oline is able to become a cohesive unit.

VD returns to form.

We sign Torrey Smith

Carrier or Millard show they are equal replacements to Delanie Walker.

Bowman is healthy.

We re-sign Cox.

We find a power back to back up Hyde.

Carradine steps up which allows...

Aldon to play like Aldon.

The two in bold i feel are the least likely. Especially vd. But i think bowman has over a 50% shot.
Share 49ersWebzone